Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

While his comments aren't great, he's been one of our most committed players over the last few season, one of the main reasons we got promoted, and generally leaves it all on the pitch.

I think it's pretty fickle to let one set of comments completely change my opinion of the block tbh.

The ridiculous attempts to demonise decent people like Shola, Lascelles and now Ritchie for making what most normal people would deem to be innocuous statements does nothing to help the anti Ashley cause. 

While his comments aren't great, he's been one of our most committed players over the last few season, one of the main reasons we got promoted, and generally leaves it all on the pitch.

I think it's pretty fickle to let one set of comments completely change my opinion of the block tbh.

The ridiculous attempts to demonise decent people like Shola, Lascelles and now Ritchie for making what most normal people would deem to be innocuous statements does nothing to help the anti Ashley cause. 

Are you for real man? They're publicly supporting one of the the worst things to happen to the club ever. Especially as a fan, there's absolutely no reason to try to understand or accept where they're coming from. They should know to shut the hell up when it comes to stuff like that. Rich footballers undermining the fans - nah, come off it.

Innocuous?

“I don’t understand the unrest... The owner has been honest.”

“You have to be real. To compete at the top is mega money.”

If he genuinely doesn't understand the unrest then he's too thick to be trusted to put his own socks on.

The owner has been honest.  The club admitted to the tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

Competing with Brighton or Watford is mega-money?  A supposed football club striving to be the best football club it can be is mega money?  Just spending what we made is mega money?  Investing in the facilities and not selling off our future is mega money?

Fuck him, it's a cunts comment.

Guest chopey

We are such a nothing club under Ashley, players, staff, fans just happy to get enough points to stay in the league and then they can all go away nice and early for a summer break only to come back the next season with the same ambition.

Making up the numbers in the the premier league is no reason to exist, its just boring and irritating and sad.

To then pay to watch this surrender and actively support and protect the owner and players that back him is just crackers.

It's practically lifted from Ashley's interview the other week - if he wants to talk about being on the same page then it shouldn't be the one in Ashley's playbook. He doesn't have to slag him off, in the same way he shouldn't comment about what paying fans should expect.

I think he has been brilliant for us, tbh, one of the best value for money signings since money got daft. Regardless of his limitations, he was crucial to us getting promoted and has been a key figure in us staying up the last two seasons. On the whole, he's been great.

Now he's said that, he's undone an awful lot in my eyes. I'm well aware that footballers tend not to care about the politics involved at their club, especially if their continued involvement is accommodated by said politics. But he doesn't need to come out and defend the owner and belittle the fans. What he's said is just completely wrong, too. There's fewer more dishonest men in football than Ashley.

They're not innocuous though. Its clear they've been briefed by the club to say this (Lascelles) or are doing it to improve their position (Shola got a job out of it, Ritchie hoping for a new contract). They're not original thoughts or opinions. Its shite spouted to appease the powers that be and they're rightly hammered.

The fact is everyone at the club knows the situation, Perez and Rafa have said so after leaving. The club has 0 ambition. If they dont want to criticise their boss fair enough, but you dont have to come out and talk a load of shit about honesty, mega money and saying you have no understanding of the discontent, its fucking laughing in the face of fans.

We'll see how these shower of useless cunts get on this season. When we're in the bottom three due to the actions of Mike Ashley will any of them leap to his defence then?

I have no issues with Ritchie's attitude as a player, he has always given 100%, but he's not that good.

How do we know that? Which decent team has tried to buy him in the last couple of years?

Ritchie has limitations a player in the Premier League, especially when I comes to pace, but to say he's been awful these last two seasons is hyperbolic, he had a rough start to the season following Promotion, but was critical, alongside Kennedy in helping us stay up in the back end of the season, and last season, he did a very commendable job at wing back.

Like I said i'm not condoning the statement, they're wrong, I just don't think its worth my anger to get pissed off at a play who has been 100% committed to the club since he's been here, for making one set of comments.

If a Liverpool player had said in the press “I don’t understand the unrest... The owner has been honest” about Gillet/Hicks at the time then they'd have been slagged off to the max and rightly so.  Guess it's different when it's little old Newcastle and it's from a player perfectly happy on the gravy train?

He's made some very insular comments but from his perspective and taken this season in isolation then I can't blame him. He's not a fan so he hasn't been through 12 years of this hell. Proof in point that players should stick to the football and steer clear of the politics.

He's made some very insular comments but from his perspective and taken this season in isolation then I can't blame him. He's not a fan so he hasn't been through 12 years of this hell. Proof in point that players should stick to the football and steer clear of the politics.

Which is why you should blame him. He should shut his mouth when it comes to club politics, especially if it undermines the fans. His perspective isn't interesting at all and should not deflect blame.

:facepalm: ok

If a Liverpool player had said in the press “I don’t understand the unrest... The owner has been honest” about Gillet/Hicks at the time then they'd have been slagged off to the max and rightly so.  Guess it's different when it's little old Newcastle and it's from a player perfectly happy on the gravy train?

Exactly. People who are prepared to listen to this rubbish because he always gives 100% make me sick. He's saying it because he's not that good and this is the highest profile club he'll ever play for.

If the club had more ambition he'd have been peddled back to Smallville two years ago.

If the club had any ambition Ritchie would have been binned the summer we got promoted the guy is out of his depth in the premier league and hes said these comments as he knows he wont get as good a gig as he has now

Fuck him just another brown nosing creep

Guest covmag

If the club had any ambition Ritchie would have been binned the summer we got promoted the guy is out of his depth in the premier league and hes said these comments as he knows he wont get as good a gig as he has now

Fuck him just another brown nosing creep

It has had no ambition in 12 years.

f*** him just another brown nosing creep

Yes, binning our most important player the year after our promotion season, sounds like a good idea.

Also how exactly is he out of his depth?

Guest chopey

Be interesting to see what the match going fans reaction to him is after those comments.

All round booing at 60 mins when he's taken off cos he's knackered?

Be interesting to see what the match going fans reaction to him is after those comments.

He's made things difficult for himself. Not only couldn't care less about everything that's gone on over 12 years but supports it. I'm not surprised to find out that a player who doesn't support the club just wants his sizeable cut and doesn't lose sleep over the way it's run, but he's made his priorities publicly clear.

f*** him just another brown nosing creep

Yes, binning our most important player the year after our promotion season, sounds like a good idea.

Also how exactly is he out of his depth?

Because hes shite hes supposed to be a wide midfielder yet fails in every aspect of that in this league. Peoples standards and expectations have fallen so much if they honestly think this guy is a decent footballer