Have we enough goal power to win the Championship?

buzza

Our forwards are good enough, I'm still concerned about our central midfield. If Tiote stays we'll have a ball winner but we'll need somebody who can open up teams, hopefully we can bring in a creative midfielder with a bit of pace who can run at defenders and pick out a pass.

This.

A disturbing lack of Asians in the side, cannot bode well for us.

an increasing number in the stands though with 3 of my little halfies tagging along this year (all 4 for the vitesse game).

I'm more worried about lack of creativity and pace in our forward play.

Mitrovic, Gayle and Perez are more than capable of getting 15-20 goals each if the service is right.

I'm yet to be convinced that either Perez or Mitrovic will get that many, but I'm pretty sure Gayle will. It's hard to quantify really, last time round even Shola was scoring for fun at that level. I think those strikers will be far too good for the championship, I'm not really concerned about them.

If Mitrovic can get 9 in the prem then I'm confident he can get at least 15 in the championship.

Perez will go past the 10 goal mark and I think Gayle will get about the same as him.

Ritchie will chip in with about 10-15 as well going by his past champ record.

Unsure where else the goals will come from mind, can't see Shelvey, Colback, Saivet or Hayden chipping in with many.

Aarons, Mitrovic, Ritchie, Gayle, Perez will all have goals in them at this level, maybe Shelvey as well. We'll also have significantly more fret at set pieces than in recent years so I reckon we'd be ok as we are.  Still, it would be nice to have some more exciting midfield options - Colback, Tiote, Anita, Saivet, Gouffran and Hayden don't exactly get the juices flowing. 

I would feel more confident if we picked-up either: (a) an experienced striker, good enough for now; or (b) a 'punching above our weight' young potential worldy, who may set the Chamiponship alight, or can be developed to be a regular starter next season. If Sissoko and Janmaat go, then along with the dosh from GW, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rafa pull off the latter. That said, he will know by now if he has enough firepower, and in Don Rafa we trust.

Last time around Carroll(17), Nolan(17), Lövenkrands(13) and Ameobi(10) scored 57 goals between them and we lorded the league. I'm pretty sure Mitrovic, Gayle, Perez and Ritchie can achieve the same. I'm actually pretty excited to see if Mitrovic can step up to the occasion and find some confidence, all hell might break loose. Another striker wouldn't exactly hurt but I agree with most that we should put an emphasis on finding someone who can create and score from midfield.

more goals from midfield needed but otherwise reasonably happy. Got options upfront of pace, trickery and power. Hope Mitro finds his confidence in front of goal. Maybe our best option is finding a brain donor for shelvey

Mitrovic, Gayle and Perez are more than capable of getting 15-20 goals each if the service is right.

I'm yet to be convinced that either Perez or Mitrovic will get that many, but I'm pretty sure Gayle will.

Will never understand this tbh, their records were practically identical in the PL and that's all we can base it on really.

Considering they have never played at this level before I don't see why you are so convinced they'd struggle and Gayle wouldn't considering his PL record is pretty much the same.

Sure you can bring up his championship record but how do you know Perez and Mitrovic couldn't do the same?

I'm yet to be convinced that either Perez or Mitrovic will get that many, but I'm pretty sure Gayle will. It's hard to quantify really, last time round even Shola was scoring for fun at that level. I think those strikers will be far too good for the championship, I'm not really concerned about them.

:dowie:

:dowie:

Okay let me explain. I think Perez and Mitro are both very good strikers, but not necessarily prolific goalscorers. Perez will always be a good player whether he scores a boatload or not. Mitro will be a handful regardless of how many goals he scores. If both of them scored a dozen goals each and we got 20 from Gayle and 10 from Ritchie, then we'd probably be promoted.

I'm yet to be convinced that either Perez or Mitrovic will get that many, but I'm pretty sure Gayle will.

Will never understand this tbh, their records were practically identical in the PL and that's all we can base it on really.

Considering they have never played at this level before I don't see why you are so convinced they'd struggle and Gayle wouldn't considering his PL record is pretty much the same.

Sure you can bring up his championship record but how do you know Perez and Mitrovic couldn't do the same?

I don't, it's just a hunch. I think  Gayle is a goalscorer who got frozen out by Pardew. It's just an opinion, it's not cast in stone. Maybe Mitro and Perez will bang in 20 each - I hope they do.

Given how many goals Mitrovic scored in the Belgian top flight I'd be staggered if he can't find the net regularly in the Championship.

Him and Gayle should have no issues. Perez needs to turn it on regularly now as well.