Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think they added a trophy for 2nd too now, pretty sure I saw Boro players pictured with one last year.

http://i1.gazettelive.co.uk/incoming/article11300821.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/JS89244842.jpg

Shouldn't be a trophy at all for me like. You want to go up champions of the division of course but winning the 2nd division isn't winning anything significant.

It's probably quite significant for teams that aren't as big as us like. If Gateshead won the National League then they'd probably like a trophy for their significant achievement even if it is the 5th division

Shouldn't be a trophy at all for me like. You want to go up champions of the division of course but winning the 2nd division isn't winning anything significant.

It's probably quite significant for teams that aren't as big as us like. If Gateshead won the National League then they'd probably like a trophy for their significant achievement even if it is the 5th division

That's a fair point I guess.

No trophy for the winner? So all football under the PL doesn't count :lol:

I could see his point if we were in League 1 or 2, but this is the top of the Football League, of course the winner should get a trophy :lol:

Really? Think of the implications of that if you applied the same rule to all sports.

Brighton have the best run in. Two of the easiest home games you could wish for and then away against teams with nothing to play for.

I have said for a while that I think they will win the league.

Not arsed one bit as long as we go up.

Villa away could be a big problem for them on the last day of the season, if things are tight at the end.

Would be quite ironic if Villa helped us in any way after having a big hand in sending us down twice at the end of 2 seasons.

Really? Think of the implications of that if you applied the same rule to all sports.

Aye. I maybe didn't think about that one. [emoji38]

6 points is mathematically promotion pretty much. We'd only have 4 games left and would be 10 points ahead still assuming it was the next two which we won. Even 2 points from the next two games wouldn't be that much of an issue other than us possibly not being champions.

I have been thinking in my own head for a good while now that if we win half are remaining games will be up without question. Been thinking that way since we had 16 games or so left.

But now 2 wins puts us on 90 points, that really should be enough. No way Huddersfield have it in them to reach 91. We're up barring a gigantic catastrophe, which Rafa won't allow, so we're up.

It's just a matter of winning division and will need at least 4 wins from 6 to do that as Brighton are stubborn, resilient and don't lose easily.

If we win 3, Huddersfield can only go up if they win 7 out of 7. However, they're the sort of team that could do that. So we might need 4 out of 6.

would 3 and a draw do it for us?

edit- nope

I think they added a trophy for 2nd too now, pretty sure I saw Boro players pictured with one last year.

http://i1.gazettelive.co.uk/incoming/article11300821.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/JS89244842.jpg

If anything says first losers, it's that trophy.

Huddersfield won't win 7 games.

They won't, but I still see three wins as the target. That would put us on 93 points meaning Huddersfield would have to win all remaining games to surpass that.

Funnily enough, the 'easy' run in that both Brighton and Huddersfield were supposed to have doesn't look so easy now (to me anyway). Brighton have to go to both Norwich and Villa, as well as Wolves who are on a great run. In fact, Brighton only have two home games left, one of which is Bristol City who are fighting for their lives. Huddersfield have to go to both Wolves and Derby (both of whom are now also in great form) as well as Preston and Fulham at home. Our next two are difficult on paper, but after that, three from the last four are against sides with absolutely nothing to play for.

We could seal promotion at home to Leeds on Good Friday. It's unlikely, but it's the earliest we could do it.

If we win our next three two (Burton (h), Sheff Wed (a), Leeds (h)) and Huddersfield, Reading and Leeds are not on at least 75 points - we'll be up.

If we win those three games, we'll be promoted unless:

Leeds win both of their next two Brentford (a), Preston (h).

Huddersfield would need at least 4 points a draw from Norwich (h), Forest (a), Preston (h).

Reading would need at least 2 points from Blackburn (h), Norwich (a) to beat Villa (a).

Fulham would need to win all three of their next games Derby (a), Ipswich (h), Norwich (a).

We'd technically be promoted on the Saturday though, because Reading don't play Villa until then. But if they lose both of their next two, then we'd be up after the Leeds game.

Sunday boredom led to this.

Providing Huddersfield and Reading don't produce glorious comebacks today...