Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Our squad looks good, with more than adequate cover for every position. We should be able to get through any bad luck with injuries or late season tiredness.

In his usual way, Rafa has looked at the challenge sensibly and come up with the right answers.

How do you think we should behave in January? It was important during our last Championship season but I'm not sure our squad needs it this time unless we buy a couple of players in preparation for the Premier League.

We look very strong in attack with Gayle, Mitro, Perez and Diame (if recent form is anything to go by) as well as in defence where we have tons of options in all positions, especially when Lazaar and Jesus gets settled down and get 100% fit.

Midfild is probably our "weakest" area, especially the central part of it. We have some really good players in midfield but not quite the same depth as in the other areas mentioned above. Looking really good right now and not many injuries so far compared to what we're used to :thup:

How do you think we should behave in January? It was important during our last Championship season but I'm not sure our squad needs it this time unless we buy a couple of players in preparation for the Premier League.

Should only get players that are top quality, which i doubt will be easy. Perhaps it's easier if we look certain of going up and go for top top talent from the lesser leagues. Otherwise buy/loan decent quality for the short term (central midfield) if needed. Can't see us signing more than one player, if that.

If we have a decent lead by then then we may be able to convince a some players who may be useful next season to take the drop down to the championship for 6 months. It would be good to get some players in January if we can so they have time to bed in before the PL return.

Backup to Shelvey should be priority no 1 transfer wise, he's the one player who I think if he gets injured could cause us big problems

:thup:

Another winger would be nice rather than relying on Aarons fitness too.

Backup to Shelvey should be priority no 1 transfer wise, he's the one player who I think if he gets injured could cause us big problems

:thup:

Another winger would be nice rather than relying on Aarons fitness too.

And Atsu going to the AFCON

Think the winger will wait until the summer. Ritchie, Atsu, Gouff, Aarons and even Perez/Gayle can play there if needed.

Be interesting to see if we go back in for Judge/Knockaert at all.

Think Judge would be a good call, we need some cover in centre mid/10 and think he could do a job for us there come pretty reasonably priced. I would also definitely put a bid in for Knockaert, make sure that bid is leaked to the press, perhaps have Rafa state his admiration for the player. That way, if he comes great, if not it's sure to unsettle him a little which will be a good thing for us.

I do think Will Hughes would be a good option too in January, would be a natural cover for Shelvey and surely he'll be keen to get out of the disaster which is Derby.

If we're looking nailed on for promotion by then I'd rather we go for players who are going to be decent premier league standard and I'm not sure Judge fits that mould. While iIthink he could do well for us in the championship I'm not sure it's worth getting him only to have to replace him in the summer.

If we're a fair few points clear I'd be happy if we just got some loans in Jan. No need bloating the squad unless they're going to be first team next season and we'll be able to attract way better players in the summer should we go up.

We look very strong in attack with Gayle, Mitro, Perez and Diame (if recent form is anything to go by) as well as in defence where we have tons of options in all positions, especially when Lazaar and Jesus gets settled down and get 100% fit.

Midfild is probably our "weakest" area, especially the central part of it. We have some really good players in midfield but not quite the same depth as in the other areas mentioned above. Looking really good right now and not many injuries so far compared to what we're used to :thup:

I would hold judgement on that, scoring goals in the championship is a lot easier than it will be in the premier. I would be surprised if we don't go for a real top class striker in the summer, we won't want a repeat of last season where we hung our hat on 'promising youngsters'. Mitro and Perez might go on to become top premier strikers, but they've still got it all to prove at that level. Gayle too for that matter.

I would hold judgement on that, scoring goals in the championship is a lot easier than it will be in the premier. I would be surprised if we don't go for a real top class striker in the summer, we won't want a repeat of last season where we hung our hat on 'promising youngsters'. Mitro and Perez might go on to become top premier strikers, but they've still got it all to prove at that level. Gayle too for that matter.

Completely agree.

I think there's a misunderstanding here mate :lol: I posted what i thought about our promotion push in general and how we're looking for the rest of the season in the Championship with what we have now.

I had a post in reply to Decky as well regarding the january window. We definitely need and are going to strengthen once/if we get promoted.