Fulham 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 05/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

Meh, it wasn't that bad really. a decent ref and we walked away from that match with 3 points, despite a s**** performance and our obvious weakness from set peices, which we all know about and will take time to sort out.

This, really. You're still going to p*ss this league, but I would be a teensy bit worried about Rafa's starting choices. The first thing that struck me about that team sheet was how lightweight and small the attack seemed to be. There may not have been many options, but a bit of size and strength up front will make a hell of a difference. It doesn't even need to be a great player - look at Fulham yesterday. I suspect that Mitrovic will take the absolute p*ss out of the Championship.

Your resources dwarf those of the other teams in the league, and I include even makeweights like Colback among those resources. You're going to be so much stronger when the fixtures start to pile up, and although it will probably take a few weeks to gel, today shows that you won't need to be amazing to do some damage. You should have at least drawn and probably should have won, despite half the team playing poorly and the ref being a comedian.

The only danger is if every team raises its game against you, the home crowd loses its patience and turns on the players, and you get a host of injuries. The gulf between Premier League and Championship really is huge.

Guest Howaythetoon

A very worrying performance, but it is one game. We dominated possession and should of had at least one penalty, but we need to be more brave and more attacking. Colback and Dummet must never start for us again, they are beyond shit.

Guest Howaythetoon

Surprised at the amount of stick Dummett is getting tbh. Want to see what Jesus can do, but didn't think Paully D was that awful.

He was awful in every sense, gave away a stupid free kick, misplaced the ball constantly and generally looked like he was well out of his depth. He's a CB not a full-back.

We seriously need to get this away record off our back like. 13 games without a win now, it's absolutely pathetic.

We aren't going to change that if he keeps setting us up like he has been away from home. We should be going to places to win the game. Yet he is setting us up to keep it tight and nick something on the break. We absolutely battered Pardew for doing this.

Villa away last season and tonight are unacceptable. Yet if he had of shown more balls at Villa last night wouldn't have occurred. Jury's out on Rafa I'm afraid.

Surprised at the amount of stick Dummett is getting tbh. Want to see what Jesus can do, but didn't think Paully D was that awful.

I'm absolutely fed up of people who should know better defending Colback, Anita or Dummetts performances. I can only presume they have only started watching football recently and have never seen how a good player plays. Dummett is particular is the most limited fullback I think I've ever seen.

After seeing Danny Simpson win the Premiership I do often think that maybe we'd be fine with Dummett at LB this season like, but then you see his opposite fullback roast him with an outrageous back flick and you realise how utterly pointless it is having him there. It won't be hard to find a better left back going forward and back, we probably have a couple on our books.

From another website:

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Fulham

Ritchie (64%, 1,776 Votes)

Janmaat (8%, 219 Votes)

Hanley (6%, 170 Votes)

Anita (4%, 108 Votes)

Shelvey (3%, 91 Votes)

Hanley (3%, 90 Votes)

Armstrong (3%, 74 Votes)

Lascelles (3%, 70 Votes)

Sels (2%, 59 Votes)

Dummett (1%, 30 Votes)

Colback (1%, 27 Votes)

Aarons (1%, 26 Votes)

Gayle (1%, 23 Votes)

Perez (1%, 18 Votes)

Total Voters: 2,781

Has to be the Mackem factor surely? Can't fathom anyone that supports our club could still have any kind of respect for Colback!?

Dummett got roasted when defending and as standard his distribution was woeful man.

Guest ElCid

Dummett got roasted when defending and as standard his distribution was woeful man.

He was absolutely shocking - he gets skinned all the time and the least said about his distribution the better.

Dummett is 4th choice CB for me, nothing else, Anita should be 2nd choice right back and Colback should be shot with shit. We really are pinning our hopes on Diame being the spark we need from MF as there are no other options, Shelvey hasn't the desire for the challenge and we desperately need a proven goalscorer and a left winger to give us some width and less predictability. I'm sure Benitez already knew most of this and will work it out before the transfer window "slams" shut.

My concern is Rafa says he's spoken to other managers who advised the sort of player he needs for the championship so he's gone out and bought championship players.  The problem as I see it is last time we went up we had mainly epl players and we smashed the league.  Buying championship players just dumbs  down the team and at best puts us on a par with the opposition rather than being superior in all departments.