Fulham 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 05/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

But why though? Over half of them have played at that level before.

It's surely not a shock that it's vaguely competitive?

They're the clear favourites to go up and virtually every person who comments on us are saying that we're miles better than the other teams in the league, I think the players have believed the hype and will now know they have to work harder.

Then you'd question the prep because Rafa has been saying all summer how competitive the league is.

Can't get over this 'Wake up call' bollocks from JL and Rafa tbqh.

Complete football cliche shite.

A fucking wake up call? It's the first game in a league where half the fucking team have played before, some of them have played more at that level than any other.

A 'wake up call' might be Hanley or someone getting skinned in the premiership. A wake up call might be when the standard is such a shock.

Call it what it was, Rafa got it wrong, the application was wrong and the set pieces were a complete joke.

Fucking Wake up call.

What are they waking up to?

Hanley, Lascelles, Colback, Hayden, Gayle, Ritchie have played that level of football before FFS.

I felt like this last night, but now I look back and we can only treat it as a kick up the ass wake up call. We've got to finish the squad building, ship out the cunts that don't want to be here, and everyone needs to knuckle the fuck down. On paper we shouldn't have gone down last season and on paper we should be getting promotion this season. Nothing is won on paper, the hard work has to be applied.

I fully trust Rafa to fix it, even his own mistakes as well as the player ones.

Complete football cliche s****.

A f***ing wake up call? It's the first game in a league where half the f***ing team have played before, some of them have played more at that level than any other.

A 'wake up call' might be Hanley or someone getting skinned in the premiership. A wake up call might be when the standard is such a shock.

Call it what it was, Rafa got it wrong, the application was wrong and the set pieces were a complete joke.

f***ing Wake up call.

Hanley, Lascelles, Colback, Hayden, Gayle, Ritchie have played that level of football before FFS.

I think last night being described as a wake up call is a fair comment, some of out players looked as if they just had to turn up and they would go home with the points.

A lot of them just didn't look any better than the opposition.

The only thing that last night told me for sure was that Colback and Dummett should be nowhere near the first XI.

I'll gladly give everyone else another chance to make amends.

Probably biggest anti-climax I can think of re. NUFC. Defensively we've gone backwards from last season post-rafa arrival. Was Mbemba not fully fit? He needs to be playing alongside Lascelles whenever possible. Unlike others not too concerned about midfield, once one of Colback/Anita gets dropped for Diame it will be far superior.

However, we need another striker. Mitro was everything we were missing last night, but our season can't rely so heavily on someone so hot-headed and unreliable.

Guest ElCid

Probably biggest anti-climax I can think of re. NUFC. Defensively we've gone backwards from last season post-rafa arrival. Was Mbemba not fully fit? He needs to be playing alongside Lascelles whenever possible. Unlike others not too concerned about midfield, once one of Colback/Anita gets dropped for Diame it will be far superior.

However, we need another striker. Mitro was everything we were missing last night, but our season can't rely so heavily on someone so hot-headed and unreliable.

Both dropped neither are even close to being good enough

My observations on last night are, Dummet will have to go, Ritchie is top class, and the fools bragging about record points totals etc. obviously have not supported Newcastle for very long, and will have had a wake up call after that.

Guest firetotheworks

The only thing that last night told me for sure was that Colback and Dummett should be nowhere near the first XI.

I'll gladly give everyone else another chance to make amends.

I counted at least three times when Dummett knocked it long to the midgets up front when he had Hayden or Lascelles asking for it short. Fucking hate him at left back.

Meh, it wasn't that bad really. a decent ref and we walked away from that match with 3 points, despite a shite performance and our obvious weakness from set peices, which we all know about and will take time to sort out.

This pretty much, as much as we were poor on another day things that went against us would have went for us. No need to panic, we were poor but still good enough and Fulham just got the luck and we didn't.

Just watched the game again, I always like to do that when I've been to the match because alcohol severely effects my judgement on what's actually happening :lol:

We were poor, but we still should have got at least a point out of that. The first handball is probably the most obvious handball I've seen in a while, there is simply no excuse for that not to be given. The second is a bit more debateable, but I'd still say that it is a penalty.

Sels - a few dodgy moments again, but looks slightly steadier

Janmaat - was okay

Hanley - thought he was actually quite good

Lascelles - lost the man for the goal and was punished

Dummett - average

Hayden - one of our better players, was impressed with him

Colback - shouldn't ever play for us again

Anita - was quite poor

Perez - was poor

Ritchie - looks very good, one of our better players

Gayle - didn't really get into the game much, looks like he needs a strike partner

Overall it was crap, but there is 45 games left to go. We'll have a few blips on the road and I do not think this is anything other any a blip, a good home game next that we really should be winning. I'll be worried if we don't win the next one, but at the moment I'm still as confident as I always have been that we'll win this league.

Complete football cliche s****.

A f***ing wake up call? It's the first game in a league where half the f***ing team have played before, some of them have played more at that level than any other.

f***ing Wake up call.

I think last night being described as a wake up call is a fair comment, some of out players looked as if they just had to turn up and they would go home with the points.

Agree with micks point. That result was just a reminder to all that there is actually work to be done this season. I really wish Sky etc wouldn't interview our fans. Nothing wrong with optimism but let's have some caution with it. It may turn out to be the case and i hope so, but claims we're going to walk the league and then take the premier league by storm next season are just asking for national ridicule.

Agree with a lot of what is said on here. I do think we'll go up, but this is hopefully a wake up call to all the fans acting like Billy Bigballs just lately. We've a good manager and some talented players, but if you concede cheap set piece goals to rubbish 6 foot 7 strikers, you'll not do much in the championship. We'll need the nous and togetherness from 2009/10 if we are to go up.

Guest firetotheworks

My dad reckons this performance was a disgrace. [emoji38] You can tell that he rarely watches Newcastle.