Daryl Murphy

nemtizz

So this is it?

It's embarrassing tbh. And before folk start labelling those that think this is anything other than a shit signing 'knuckleheads', try putting it in context. We've needed to sign more than 1 striker all summer and the best we can muster is a last minute bid for a Championship clogger.

It's bollocks.

We have never needed to buy more than 1 striker, we have always had enough in terms of numbers just the quality. We have swapped the likes of Cisse for Gayle and Doumbia for this guy. People need to get their heads out of theirs arses a bit.

What nonsense. I hate this type of attitude. So folk are not allowed to criticise?

Anyway, of course we needed to buy more than one striker. The very case being this afternoon. Both Mitro and Gayle injured and, of those two, only one has shown they can score goals at this level.

Listen, if he proves doubters wrong, brilliant. But on face value this seems, at best, like a panic buy. Plenty of other options out there that could have provided much better squad depth.

It's not a panic buy, Rafa's been talking about an experienced striker for ages

So this is it?

It's embarrassing tbh. And before folk start labelling those that think this is anything other than a s*** signing 'knuckleheads', try putting it in context. We've needed to sign more than 1 striker all summer and the best we can muster is a last minute bid for a Championship clogger.

It's bollocks.

We have never needed to buy more than 1 striker, we have always had enough in terms of numbers just the quality. We have swapped the likes of Cisse for Gayle and Doumbia for this guy. People need to get their heads out of theirs arses a bit.

What nonsense. I hate this type of attitude. So folk are not allowed to criticise?

Anyway, of course we needed to buy more than one striker. The very case being this afternoon. Both Mitro and Gayle injured and, of those two, only one has shown they can score goals at this level.

Listen, if he proves doubters wrong, brilliant. But on face value this seems, at best, like a panic buy. Plenty of other options out there that could have provided much better squad depth.

It is a bit of a panic buy, if we really wanted him we could have had him a lot earlier.

Also. His record is good in this division, he's a fine squad player in the same way that Hanley and Clark are. It's worth repeating, not every signing needs to be amazing. Rafa's building a squad. I also don't care about things like player development, team/club before individuals.

We need goals, we need options and we need depth. I'm not too thrilled that we're signing 33 year old journeymen strikers but he ticks a few boxes. Don't think anyone is under any illusions that he'll blow the division away but he's an appropriate signing for where we are and what we need. We need to get out of this division asap and if Murphy helps then so be it.

Hoovering up players from s**** nations like it's going out of fashion.

Harsh. NUFC and Tyneside in general has a proud Scots and Irish heritage. For a spell in the Championship given the widely acknowledged lack of commitment in the team in recent seasons, and the mercenary feel of some of our foreign legion,  I am fucking delighted to see an influx of Sweaty-socks and Paddys.

So this is it?

It's embarrassing tbh. And before folk start labelling those that think this is anything other than a s*** signing 'knuckleheads', try putting it in context. We've needed to sign more than 1 striker all summer and the best we can muster is a last minute bid for a Championship clogger.

It's bollocks.

It is a bit of a panic buy, if we really wanted him we could have had him a lot earlier.

Original tweet says he has put in a transfer request, so maybe that was a factor.

So this is it?

It's bollocks.

What? :lol:

He's 33 now and wasn't even very good in his prime.

The last few years have been his prime

Well if what I watched in his last game v Norwich is his prime I'd hate to see what he was like beforehand.

Did someone not say he dominated in that game earlier?

If he scores a s*** load of goals then he'll be a great signing. If he doesn't, it's a s*** signing, simple.

What I will say though, is that it's clear that Rafa sees Gayle and Mitro as the main two strikers, everyone else playing backup, so it's tricky to find really good strikers, with experience, who are willing to be 3rd choice.

Not sure I agree, we seemingly bid for Bas Dost and Haller, who would have been first choice, obviously Murphy won't be so not sure what the idea is.

Who in the Championship has better options up front then us?

Nobody.

Villa?

Gestede, McCormack and Ayew?

I'd rather have our three.

Pretty even tbh, they are also trying to get Hernandez.

People keep talking about this. Hernandez is starting games & scoring at premiership level, why would he drop back down again? He could get more money doing well in the prem long term even if that was his sole goal.

So this is it?

It's bollocks.

What? :lol:

Simple really, he clearly isn't the striker we wanted, and so having been turned down by the the others we have gone in for him with less than a week left.

Who in the Championship has better options up front then us?

Nobody.

Villa?

Gestede, McCormack and Ayew?

I'd rather have our three.

Pretty even tbh, they are also trying to get Hernandez.

People keep talking about this. Hernandez is starting games & scoring at premiership level, why would he drop back down again? He could get more money doing well in the prem long term even if that was his sole goal.

He supposedly wants to join Villa.

He's 33 now and wasn't even very good in his prime.

The last few years have been his prime

Well if what I watched in his last game v Norwich is his prime I'd hate to see what he was like beforehand.

Did someone not say he dominated in that game earlier?

He certainly didn't in the game I watched. A 33 year old journeyman striker isn't what we need right now and nobody on here will convince me otherwise.