Daryl Murphy

nemtizz

So this is it?

It's embarrassing tbh. And before folk start labelling those that think this is anything other than a shit signing 'knuckleheads', try putting it in context. We've needed to sign more than 1 striker all summer and the best we can muster is a last minute bid for a Championship clogger.

It's bollocks.

We got relegated in May like. You might not have spotted it.

We have Gayle, Mitro, Perez and Murphy. Not bad for the championship like.

this is an odd one, woudn't have thought a 33 year old striker would be a target but his record in recent years is superb and any time he's played for ireland which is when I've seen him most he works as hard as anyone

I actually have very little doubt that he will be good when he plays for us. The only things that annoy me about it are that it makes it even harder for Armstrong to get a chance and it's a very short term solution

To a short term problem. Hopefully.

Hmm, I see this for what it (probably) is.... a signing with experience of the league, who can come in when needed and/or when the first choices of Gayle and Mitrovic are unavailable, and he probably wont be coming in on huge wages.

That said, surely there has to be younger options available, who wouldn't cost the earth have the experience wanted, even if they wanted to get rid after this season (if we go up)??!!

Jurys out on this one, but I'm also not wetting the bed about it like some.

this is an odd one, woudn't have thought a 33 year old striker would be a target but his record in recent years is superb and any time he's played for ireland which is when I've seen him most he works as hard as anyone

I actually have very little doubt that he will be good when he plays for us. The only things that annoy me about it are that it makes it even harder for Armstrong to get a chance and it's a very short term solution

true but given the clubs put everything into getting up this season or financially we could be in a lot of bother and the knock to rafa's reputation if he failed on that then I can understand the short term thinking

Seen a lot of names of strikers that people on here would have liked us to go for. I don't know much about the players mentioned. A genuine question, would any of the better names be willing to sit on the bench for us in the Championship?

So this is it?

It's embarrassing tbh. And before folk start labelling those that think this is anything other than a shit signing 'knuckleheads', try putting it in context. We've needed to sign more than 1 striker all summer and the best we can muster is a last minute bid for a Championship clogger.

It's bollocks.

We have never needed to buy more than 1 striker, we have always had enough in terms of numbers just the quality. We have swapped the likes of Cisse for Gayle and Doumbia for this guy. People need to get their heads out of theirs arses a bit.

What nonsense. I hate this type of attitude. So folk are not allowed to criticise?

Anyway, of course we needed to buy more than one striker. The very case being this afternoon. Both Mitro and Gayle injured and, of those two, only one has shown they can score goals at this level.

Listen, if he proves doubters wrong, brilliant. But on face value this seems, at best, like a panic buy. Plenty of other options out there that could have provided much better squad depth.

He's actually quite good, best targetman in the division imo. Scored 27 goals the season before last  and hit around 10 in a season where he was struggling with injuries. Underwhelming but he'll surely be 3rd choice, won't hamper our other strikers' progress, is an experienced head in the dressing room and will likely score in and around 10-15 goals.

:dontknow: I mean it's not exactly exciting but it makes sense for 3.5 million.

We signed worse last time we were in this league.

Who was worse?

Harewood's career was winding down when we signed him, there was Khizanishvili who I had to google to spell, Fitz Hall, Pancrate and Lovenkrands weren't up to much. Murphy's record seems to stand up pretty well to this lot, I don't expect much more from a championship squad player.

He's actually quite good, best targetman in the division imo. Scored 27 goals the season before last  and hit around 10 in a season where he was struggling with injuries. Underwhelming but he'll surely be 3rd choice, won't hamper our other strikers' progress, is an experienced head in the dressing room and will likely score in and around 10-15 goals.

Wow, that sounds terrible.

Got his I'm a lower league footballer look absolutely on point mind.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.3908973.1420655590!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg