Daryl Murphy

nemtizz

He's 33 now and wasn't even very good in his prime.

The last few years have been his prime

Different style and quality of player, but Beardo was 33 when we re-signed him and he was crucial to getting the best out of Coley; maybe this guy will complement Gayle. In Rafa we trust.

He'll be coming here to be Mitro's backup, fairly certain of that. He's showed that he can score goals at this level and gives us a 2nd target man for when Mitro goes on his crazy murder sprees and needs to lay low for a while.

In an ideal world we'd have signed someone young with potential to grow into a really good player or else someone who could legitimately challenge Mitro for his starting role, but I'd imagine we've tried that and it hasn't come off.

So we sign this guy as a stopgap squad player for a couple of years and people lose their shit? :lol:

Well if what I watched in his last game v Norwich is his prime I'd hate to see what he was like beforehand.

Did someone not say he dominated in that game earlier?

He certainly didn't in the game I watched. A 33 year old journeyman striker isn't what we need right now and nobody on here will convince me otherwise.

What do you think we needed?

Well if what I watched in his last game v Norwich is his prime I'd hate to see what he was like beforehand.

He certainly didn't in the game I watched. A 33 year old journeyman striker isn't what we need right now and nobody on here will convince me otherwise.

Not him. I'd rather we just stuck with Gayle, Mitrovic, Perez and Armstrong then bring him in to clog up the wage bill further. I just don't rate him at all, never have.

Put it this way, if the mackems were signing him we'd be laughing at them.

My only complaint is that I thought we were going for someone with proven goals in them at this level.  Looking at his record he's had one good season in his entire career (14/15).  We needed someone a bit more prolific that that.  It's a gamble - not monetary wise but promotion wise.

Cannot believe we haven't managed to convince Messi to come be our third choice striker in the Championship.

We've signed an established Championship striker who has got 1 in 2 for Ipswich at this level despite being described as a target man. He's been signed as back-up, the back-up that we've needed. Don't see how this could turn out to be a bad signing. He'll be a bit part player who will keep Mitro on his toes.

Not him. I'd rather we just stuck with Gayle, Mitrovic, Perez and Armstrong then bring him in to clog up the wage bill further. I just don't rate him at all, never have.

Put it this way, if the mackems were signing him we'd be laughing at them.

Right but theres saying you dont rate him and ignoring facts. He scored 27 at this level two seasons ago, whether you rate him or not he can obviously score goals at this level. I read a game ago that no side had put in as many crosses as us in the divison, he's clearly designed to be back up for Mitro.

Armstrong will need time at this level, do we have that if we're chasing instant promotion? Carroll got his chance because Ameobi got injured, Loven wasnt in the squad at the start & Nolan was covering everyone for goals. Carroll took time to get going, its a lot to expect Armstrong will just start flying.

Meh...probably won´t see him starting any matches if our players stay fit. Proved he can do it at this level so is good cover, and can probably teach Mitro a thing or two on how to deal with this league.

Is the £3.5m fee that was quoted in another thread still being reported? :lol:

So this is it?

It's embarrassing tbh. And before folk start labelling those that think this is anything other than a s*** signing 'knuckleheads', try putting it in context. We've needed to sign more than 1 striker all summer and the best we can muster is a last minute bid for a Championship clogger.

It's bollocks.

We have never needed to buy more than 1 striker, we have always had enough in terms of numbers just the quality. We have swapped the likes of Cisse for Gayle and Doumbia for this guy. People need to get their heads out of theirs arses a bit.

What nonsense. I hate this type of attitude. So folk are not allowed to criticise?

Anyway, of course we needed to buy more than one striker. The very case being this afternoon. Both Mitro and Gayle injured and, of those two, only one has shown they can score goals at this level.

Listen, if he proves doubters wrong, brilliant. But on face value this seems, at best, like a panic buy. Plenty of other options out there that could have provided much better squad depth.

It's not a panic buy, Rafa's been talking about an experienced striker for ages

It is a bit of a panic buy, if we really wanted him we could have had him a lot earlier.

What? :lol:

Simple really, he clearly isn't the striker we wanted, and so having been turned down by the the others we have gone in for him with less than a week left.

That doesn't make it a panic buy, that makes it signing someone who wasn't first choice. There's an obvious difference.