Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

That's now 23 games and counting without a goal or an assist to his name.

Bit of a disingenuous stat considering not many of those will be starts.

He had a decent game today, really helped us at times today because he wants to play in the space between midfield and attack and other the Perez none of our other players are willing to play in there.

He had a decent game today, really helped us at times today because he wants to play in the space between midfield and attack and other the Perez none of our other players are willing to play in there.

He's nowhere near good enough to play at this level.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’d be alarmed if that was 23 games on the trot...

What’s Ritchie’s last 23 appearances read?

What level?

Most of our team aren't good enough for mid table Premier League level.

What level?

Most of our team aren't good enough for mid table Premier League level.

I disagree. Dubravka, Schaar, Fernandez, Lascelles, Yedlin, Dummett, Ritchie, Kenedy, Ki, Diame, Shelvey and Rondon are all adequate/decent PL standard players. Atsu isn't.

I agree in general on Atsu, but some of those listed really aren't that great.

But he's a symptom of Mike Ashley's Newcastle United I'm afraid and when he has a decent game like he did today it is worth acknowledging that.

I agree in general on Atsu, but some of those listed really aren't that great.

But he's a symptom of Mike Ashley's Newcastle United I'm afraid and when he has a decent game like he did today it is worth acknowledging that.

They aren't great but they're all mid/lower table PL players. Maybe one or two of them a bit better than that. Atsu is well below PL level though in my opinion. He was decent today though without actually doing anything of note.

I don't agree with how shit everyone says Atsu is TBH. Yeah, he shouldn't be playing for NUFC but that goes for 90% of our squad.

He carries the ball quite well, he works hard and he's got a decent football brain. In our squad I don't think he's anywhere near the worst option.

I don't think he's playing especially wide tbh. It's a bit like he's in the hole and left of centre; not really a role we've seen from him or anyone in-particular before. He's doing well though, think he's been decent in the last three games. Pity that he can't seem to get any discernible purchase on the ball in front of goal.

I don't think he's playing especially wide tbh. It's a bit like he's in the hole and left of centre; not really a role we've seen from him or anyone in-particular before. He's doing well though, think he's been decent in the last three games. Pity that he can't seem to get any discernible purchase on the ball in front of goal.

Aye think he’s better when we play 3 at the back and he is a bit more central. Think he gets a bit lost out on the wing

• 2 weeks later...

Aye think he’s better when we play 3 at the back and he is a bit more central. Think he gets a bit lost out on the wing

I reiterate this point again. Think most full backs have his measure when he's directly up against him but he's able to get into some great positions when he starts more central and roams around. Works well with Ritchie down that side too