Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I get that it's a money thing in a lot of places, but it's absolutely crazy to me that Japan is still one of the few earthquake hotspots that uses lightweight materials for its buildings. Something stupid like only 19 people died from the actual earthquake in 2011.

In New Zealand they use base isolators where they separate the building from its foundations and put what are essentially large rubber springs in between to absorb the impact. On one of my many wanderings around the Beehive in Wellington they took me on a tour to show me as Parliament, Wellington and New Zealand in general is a matter of yards away from a fault line. 

Obviously no consolation at all for the people of Turkey right now, I can't imagine what it must be like to be at the mercy of nature in such a devastating way. 

5 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Is it not, also, that they're building ate designed to be flexible? Remember seeing a short documentary on it and, in the footage inside, a building was swaying too and fro. Not a crack in sight

I think so yeah. 

6 minutes ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

Apparently Atsu has been found alive and injured.

I hope so. Hope his injuries are non life threatening and allow him to live his life normally, post this event.

Hoping for as many survivors as possible.