Rate Our Summer Transfer Window

Lush Vlad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Happy with how it has gone. 

Would have preferred a better striker to Daryl Murphy.  I think we may be a bit short on goals and a bit lacking in the wide attacking areas. 

But we have shifted a lot of high earners, players that have no interest in playing for the club and got rid of most of the dead wood.

We have also got pretty good depth and competition for places in most areas. 

Seems a more balanced squad with multiple players for each position. Genuine wingers rather than Wijnaldum or Sissoko shunted wide. More functional centre midfield and greater options in defence. Fairly successful but still unsure of the quality of some players. Getting Gayle, Diame, Hayden and Ritchie was great business

Job well and truly done this summer, imo.

If you're gonna look at things from an FM-stats point of view, it was always likely that we'd be worse off. However, what we've lost in alleged attributes we've gained in determination and desire. There's still plenty of quality, too, from what I've seen so far. Hopefully enough to see us promoted.

The toxicity of the dressing room has gone and we are in a position to rebuild the entire culture of the club. It was vital that we allowed ourselves the chance to do that, and we have done.

The highlights are Ritchie, Gayle and Diame. There's real PL quality in those three. Keeping Mbemba and Mitrovic is also a real bonus to come from the window.

Onwards. :thup:

Difficult/impossible to judge at this stage, but my gut tells me we did everything we needed to do.

Very good.

Very good.

We got rid of all the deadwood somehow, completely reworked the squad to the point that it's now balanced and deep.

Not to mention we made over 30m in profit while doing so, the only real negative was that we didn't really replace Sissoko but I don't think that will end up being much of an issue and should we get promoted we can replace him then.

Nobody of the required standard will want to join a championship club anyway, I'm a bit worried that the back up CBs we bought won't actually succeed in the PL and same with Daryl Murphy but we'll cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

We managed to get 55m for Sissoko and Wijnaldum :spit:

Fair points about Mbemba and Mitro, Yorkie. 

With all the carnage of the transfer window, and all the incomings and outgoings.  I've lost sight of the fact, that we've kept the likes of Lascelles, Mbemba and Mitro.  Shelvey, Anita and Dummett will be more than useful over the course of the season, as well.

Good, but Hanley and Clark were shocking signings imho.

Pretty much my thoughts too. Not sure how Rafa will turn them into half decent players but willing to let him try. Mbemba must start every game that he can.

We look strong enough in attack and on the wings, we look okay at fullback, central midfield could have done with a refresh and at least we have 4 CBs now. For a Championship squad, we have options (and proven ones too) so we're in good nick from here to Jan.

All in all, fairly happy. Time to show it on the pitch.

I think its one of the best windows we've had. I'm more than happy with our squad, obviously there are always a few things we could have done better but overall delighted. Bring on the rest of the season. In Rafa we believe!

On paper, very good. It sounds like a few of the lads who've come in can do a job in different positions, which could well be useful both for Plan Bs and for the 46 league games we'll play this season. For the first time in donkeys, we may even have a cup run.

I hope we can put the days of Aarons and Sissoko at full back or Perez as a single striker behind us.

I'm pleased in some ways, well most ways, but a bit disappointed with the overall quality of the signings.

In particular, I'd have a bit of a statement signing to add to the obvious quality of Ritchie and Gayle.

That said, I'm delighted to be rid of the very obvious mercenaries and it's quite clear to see that Rafa has gone for character as a priority and he's clearly building a squad he feels is capable to working together, over a long tough season, to achieve the club's aim of instant return.

I hate to think of how this summer would have gone if we hadn't managed to convince Rafa to stay and I'm absolutely delighted he has stayed to oversee phase 1 of the rebuild.

On that basis, he's made a fairly emphatic start.

Decent enough. Would have thought with the size of us and having Benitez, we would have attracted some high profile loans from the top Prem sides.(only Atsu) not sure how good he is, only really basing that on the fact Wilshire ended up at Bournemouth.

Guess January will be a chance to enhance the team should we need it.

All in all can't grumble, Gini 25m,Sissoko 30m, Janmaat 7m, Townsend 12m

Parachute payments on top.

Something struck me, didn't Ashley say he would walk away  from the club if we won a trophy.

Would that include the championship title?

To be moving forward without the likes of Cisse, Coloccini, Taylor, Obertan, Riviere - players the vast majority of us on here wanted gone long ago, is a great feeling. Top that off by not folding on our asking price for Sissoko and selling him for £30m was the icing on the cake.

Of course the likes of Murphy, Clark and Hanley might be somewhat underwhelming but I think they'll play their part this season in doing what is needed.

Personally, Atsu, Ritchie, Gayle and Lazaar are exciting signings. Then you've got Gamez, Hayden, Diame, Yedlin - all look like they WANT to be here at the very least and have a different feeling about them to the Janmaat's, Wijnaldum's etc. There seems a better balance to our squad than there's been for years. I'm hugely optimistic about the future for the first time since I can remember.

Rafa  :rose:

Decent but would have liked a more proven winger than Atsu, a better forward than Murphy, and to have shifted Tiote and Colback. Don't know much about the full backs so we'll see what they're like. Overall Benitez seems happy and confident we'll get promoted and so am I, hopefully there's ample cash there for January and the summer as well.

Only phase one so far which has been a major overhaul and i'm very happy and think we've done well, especially when you consider how many we've got rid of as well. Phase 2 will be to add that extra bit of quality to our starting eleven. We will be able to strengthen in january if needed, and IF we're doing well and are top of the league then we might be able to sign even better players if we definitely look like going up. Strengthen in January if needed depending on how the players perform, or even more importantly how the team performs. Otherwise go for top quality next summer. I'm pretty certain that we'll be able to attract some very good players with Rafa in charge and us being in the PL. 7/10 for me.

Good 8/10.

We have built a squad that looks capable of promotion, and a little left over n preparation for next season.

Whether £30mll will be enough to keep us in the prem, and whether Ashley will add to that if necessary, who knows. But it's looking good this season.

My worry with Ashley is, Now that we have the squad to get us out of this division, He might return to his old ways.

Imagine if we are 15 points clear come Jan, and Rafa asks for the £30m to spend, Would Ashley risk upsetting the apple cart?

8/10. I think many of our fans (including me) sometimes forget what league we are in. The likes of Hanley, Clark, Murphy etc might not set the world alight but they're probably capable of playing for a top 6 Championship side. I know the idea is to win it, but they're fine for this league. Worry about shifting them if we get promoted.

Personally like the fact we've got players now who want to play for Newcastle United, rather than seeing us a stepping stone. The players we've signed might be down on talent or quality from the ones that left, but like Yorkie says, they more than make up for it in determination. I know which lot I would rather have trying to get me out of this division.

All in all considering the overhaul we have had, to end the window £30m (roughly) in profit and still have the likes of Mitrovic, Perez & Mbemba here can only be seen as a positive. More than enough to get us to January :thup:

Would go as far as to say 9/10.

We've signed some real quality players in Diame, Ritchie and Gayle. Players who are capable of playing in the Premier League. We've also got real strength in depth now. We have at least two players for every position.

In regards to the outgoings, we've cleared all our deadwood, Tiote aside, who may yet leave with some transfer windows remaining open. Delighted the likes of Coloccini, Sissoko and Sammy Ameobi have gone. We've made £30m profit so far.

Overall, for a team wanting promotion, we've had an excellent window and some of our signings should be able to step up to the Premier League.