Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they're about to confirm another signing. Would be brilliant if they took last season's form and pushed for the Play-Offs this season. 

If they could get another 500 or so through the gates every game it'd be huge but the interest isn't there on the whole which is a shame. 

It's a weird one RE: gates. They have gone up a resonable bit from 5-6 years back and the games do have some decent atmpshere with the young daft lads but the Int'l stadium is so, so bad.

I also think having so many Northern and other non-league clubs in such close locale scuppers them hugely too.

You'd wonder what their gates would be like if they played at a proper ground nearer where folk lived. 1500?

Gateshead will forever struggle to compete against Newcastle, especially now since the takeover.

It doesn’t help that they have Hebburn around the corner from them who have a much better stadium for football. South Shields are starting to get fans in as well since their takeover. You then have to factor in that there is 20k empty seats at a Stadium just along Felling bypass, who are continuously giving tickets away, and I’m not on about the Greyhound track either.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

Gateshead will forever struggle to compete against Newcastle, especially now since the takeover.

It doesn’t help that they have Hebburn around the corner from them who have a much better stadium for football. South Shields are starting to get fans in as well since their takeover. You then have to factor in that there is 20k empty seats at a Stadium just along Felling bypass, who are continuously giving tickets away, and I’m not on about the Greyhound track either.

I do wonder how an improved academy set up will impact them. It could give them a decent pipe line of talent. Greg Olley is thriving there - via a stint at Hull - but it could be very appealing to lads who want to stay at home. 

Heed missed an opportunity by not being able to get the new stadium sorted before things went tits up behind the scenes. The International Stadium is an appalling place to watch football.

Might try and get to a game next year, can i check this is right for the teams and leagues for 23/24?

Step 5 looks quite interesting with the coast derby (Whitley Bay/North Shields) Newcastle derby (Newcastle Benfield/Heaton Stan) & Whickham/Birtley all being pretty close to each other location wise.

Vanarama Conference National (Step 1)

Gateshead
Hartlepool Utd

Vanarama Conference North (Step 2)

Blyth Spartans
Darlington
South Shields
Spennymoor Town

Pitching In Northern Premier League (Step 3)

Morpeth

Pitching In Northern Premier League Division 1 East (Step 4)

Ashington
Consett
Dunston UTS
Hebburn Town

Northern League Division One (Step 5)

Birtley
Heaton Stannington
Newcastle Benfield
North Shields
Whickham
Whitley Bay

Northern League Division Two (Step 6)

Bedlington
Blyth Town
Chester-le-Street Town
Chester-le-Street United 
Jarrow
Newcastle Blue Star
Newcastle University
Prudhoe Youth Club
Ryton & Crawcrook
Washington

Edited by NUFC

Looks largely correct, but guess it mainly depends where you are, as there are a few notable omissions. Darlington are in a higher league so will possibly be more attractive to attend a match, but Newton Aycliffe are now in the same league as the likes of Consett, and closer to Newcastle than Darlington.

On 05/06/2023 at 21:39, NUFC said:

Might try and get to a game next year, can i check this is right for the teams and leagues for 23/24?

Step 5 looks quite interesting with the coast derby (Whitley Bay/North Shields) Newcastle derby (Newcastle Benfield/Heaton Stan) & Whickham/Birtley all being pretty close to each other location wise.

Gateshead
Hartlepool Utd

Blyth Spartans
Darlington
South Shields
Spennymoor Town

Morpeth

Ashington
Consett
Dunston UTS
Hebburn Town

Birtley
Heaton Stannington
Newcastle Benfield
North Shields
Whickham
Whitley Bay

Bedlington
Blyth Town
Chester-le-Street Town
Chester-le-Street United 
Jarrow
Newcastle Blue Star
Newcastle University
Prudhoe Youth Club
Ryton & Crawcrook
Washington

Further down the leagues you get Durham AFC and Durham United, depending on how far down the steps you want to go, of course.

Gateshead
Hartlepool Utd

Blyth Spartans
Darlington
South Shields
Spennymoor Town

Morpeth

Ashington
Consett
Dunston UTS
Hebburn Town

Birtley
Heaton Stannington
Newcastle Benfield
North Shields
Whickham
Whitley Bay

Bedlington
Blyth Town
Chester-le-Street Town
Chester-le-Street United 
Jarrow
Newcastle Blue Star
Newcastle University
Prudhoe Youth Club
Ryton & Crawcrook
Washington

Hey hey, West Allotment Celtic are crying real tears in the corner now. After their highest finish ever as well !

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Hey hey, West Allotment Celtic are crying real tears in the corner now. After their highest finish ever as well !

That's what you get for playing in Palmersville.

For reference @NUFC, the Uni also play in Prudhoe.

I might be biased but Hebburn have a superb setup especially considering what it was like five years ago and it keeps on improving so get yourself to a Hebburn match!

Mind, the downside is you'll have to put up with me (assuming NUFC aren't playing!) [emoji38]

3 hours ago, Paully said:

I might be biased but Hebburn have a superb setup especially considering what it was like five years ago and it keeps on improving so get yourself to a Hebburn match!

Mind, the downside is you'll have to put up with me (assuming NUFC aren't playing!) [emoji38]

Owned by a mackem though aren't they. My mate was at a Peter Beardsley talk in there the other week and the flyers for it had him in action in his Liverpool kit [emoji38]

52 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Gateshead taking a punt on a striker from Birtley who scored 60+ goals last season. Would be good if he does a Cedwyn Scott. 

Was at Whitley last season. Came up from the Alliance. Didn't do anything at all in fleeting appearances and dropped down to NL2.

Been surprised by how ridiculously well he's done this season. Fox in the box is probably a good description in that he seems to be a bit of a pure goalscorer.

On 06/06/2023 at 08:39, NUFC said:

Gateshead
Hartlepool Utd

Blyth Spartans
Darlington
South Shields
Spennymoor Town

Morpeth

Ashington
Consett
Dunston UTS
Hebburn Town

Birtley
Heaton Stannington
Newcastle Benfield
North Shields
Whickham
Whitley Bay

Bedlington
Blyth Town
Chester-le-Street Town
Chester-le-Street United 
Jarrow
Newcastle Blue Star
Newcastle University
Prudhoe Youth Club
Ryton & Crawcrook
Washington

Where’s the mighty Boldon CA 😂, had to watch them (lose 6-2) to Birtley when I was over