Newcastle United 0-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers - post-match from pg. 17

Disco

Krul must of wanted away pretty bad or he would of been number 1. Darlow is more than competent and did well last season and Elliot made a lot of good saves

Which every keeper from Premier League to Sunday League does. It's generally the stuff you don't notice that makes a goalkeeper worth having in your side. Darlow has time on his side but he's a long way short of what I want starting for us next season.

Krul must of wanted away pretty bad or he would of been number 1. Darlow is more than competent and did well last season and Elliot made a lot of good saves

Which every keeper from Premier League to Sunday League does. It's generally the stuff you don't notice that makes a goalkeeper worth having in your side. Darlow has time on his side but he's a long way short of what I want starting for us next season.

If it's the stuff you don't notice that matters, how do you ever notice if a goalkeeper is good or not?

Didn't see the game so cannot comment on the performance but to lose another home game, which makes it 3 defeats before the end of September(and we haven't even got Tuesday out of the way yet...)is not good if you are seriously challenging for promotion. Any thought that we might strike realistic fear into the other promotion fancying sides has gone out of the window with this result, coming as it has on the back of a 6-0 away win which, together with a comfortable win today, would have caused a loss off morale among our rivals ; the loss to Wolves, themselves coming off a 0-4 home defeat midweek, will have given teams like Norwich and Huddersfield renewed hope that we are paper tigers.

In our last 2 promotion seasons we laid down a marker of our intentions early on, esp in 92/93 when we won 10 games off the belt from the season's start..and this from a side the majority of which almost got the club relegated to Div 3 the previous season. Likewise, in 2009/10 we were very strong at SJP, cannot recall losing a home game.

We cannot afford another defeat on Tuesday or the pressure will be well and truly on because promoted sides rarely lose more than 5 or 6 games in a season.

It seems that even a manager as experienced and successful as Rafa cannot overcome the NUFC/SJP curse of inconsistent unpredictability which has been a hallmark of the club for decades....at least right now, but lack of character among players probably plays a big part.

If it's the stuff you don't notice that matters, how do you ever notice if a goalkeeper is good or not?

I think you know the answer to that. The point is, the best keepers make it look pretty easy. It's the shit ones like Rob Elliot that get credit for Hollywood saves that will often be a straightforward catch for the keeper that gets his positioning right. Or the one who organises his defence in such a way that the save doesn't need to be made at all.

Didn't see the game so cannot comment on the performance but to lose another home game, which makes it 3 defeats before the end of September(and we haven't even got Tuesday out of the way yet...)is not good if you are seriously challenging for promotion. Any thought that we might strike realistic fear into the other promotion fancying sides has gone out of the window with this result, coming as it has on the back of a 6-0 away win which, together with a comfortable win today, would have caused a loss off morale among our rivals ; the loss to Wolves, themselves coming off a 0-4 home defeat midweek, will have given teams like Norwich and Huddersfield renewed hope that we are paper tigers.

In our last 2 promotion seasons we laid down a marker of our intentions early on, esp in 92/93 when we won 10 games off the belt from the season's start..and this from a side the majority of which almost got the club relegated to Div 3 the previous season. Likewise, in 2009/10 we were very strong at SJP, cannot recall losing a home game.

We cannot afford another defeat on Tuesday or the pressure will be well and truly on because promoted sides rarely lose more than 5 or 6 games in a season.

It seems that even a manager as experienced and successful as Rafa cannot overcome the NUFC/SJP curse of inconsistent unpredictability which has been a hallmark of the club for decades....at least right now, but lack of character among players probably plays a big part.

I think it's much too early to be slashing our wrists yet. We're eight games into a 48 game season, and we're four points from the top despite three incredibly shite losses. No one is streaking away with the league; Huddersfield have started well but they're not about to go on some record-breaking run.

Our inconsistency is something of a curse, yes, but the positive is that teams will turn up thinking they have a chance. Better that than knowing they're going to under the kosh for 90 minutes and parking the bus (which we have demonstrated we are unable to circumvent).

Rafa's not going to change the habits of a lifetime and suddenly stop rotating heavily. Seems obvious his attacking options are Plan Target Man or Plan Quick Striker - but the plans don't just rely on who's up front so much as the other positions around them. We can only hope that he gets the mix right sooner rather than later, because we don't want to still be experimenting in November or January.

Did we make much in an attacking sense yesterday?

Virtually nothing. Not one of our attacking lot of Ritchie, Diame, Perez and Gayle was worthy of anything gets more than a 4/10. Mitrovic came on and ran around a bit but in truth I just think he lacks any real quality.

Virtually nothing. Not one of our attacking lot of Ritchie, Diame, Perez and Gayle was worthy of anything gets more than a 4/10. Mitrovic came on and ran around a bit but in truth I just think he lacks any real quality.

Probably my major concern atm, teams coming up to SJP being organised, competitive, and us not being about to break them down.

Reckon we'll continue to do well away from home but we're going to need to start dominating at home as well.

Probably my major concern atm, teams coming up to SJP being organised, competitive, and us not being about to break them down.

Reckon we'll continue to do well away from home but we're going to need to start dominating at home as well.

Why I was banging on about a creative playmaker all summer. Seen links to tielemans from anderlecht if we go up that's the type of player we are missing and Rafa will know it. Maybe there was none about for a decent price in the summer.  Shelvey could potentially do it he just always seems to be playing too deep.

Shelvey tried so hard to make it happen but 1/3 passes seemed to work, Mitro missed a great chance again, Perez out wide doesnt ever work.

As has been said, hustle us, get organised and pounce on an inevitable mistake and bingo , you are in with a chance away to us.

We seem to be getting bossed at home, massive wake up call to everyone as we all rolled up yesterday with the wrong attitude.

Shelvey tried so hard to make it happen but 1/3 passes seemed to work, Mitro missed a great chance again, Perez out wide doesnt ever work.

As has been said, hustle us, get organised and pounce on an inevitable mistake and bingo , you are in with a chance away to us.

We seem to be getting bossed at home, massive wake up call to everyone as we all rolled up yesterday with the wrong attitude.

Players freezing on the big stage...unfortunately its ours and not the opposition. Shelvey was fucking wank (as were many tbf....) Ritchie has this knack of receiving the ball, turning a full circle and playing harmlessly nowhere / backwards....where have we seen this before? Perez shouldn't have still been on to make his howler.

Central mid was a fucking joke - we just didn't have one.

All three players brought in had a telling effect on the game, Mbemba, Perez directly involved in conceding goals and Diame just looked out his depth. 0/10 for Rafa in selection.

Hopefully a one off but not good seeing our lot 'freeze'

Are you allowed to be disappointed about a shit performance without being fucking "kneejerk" anymore? [emoji38]

Not at all, but when it gets into 'Rafa dropped a bollock' and 'we need to play this way not that way' when both goals were individual errors and we just beat a team 6-0 away from home, then people have a point tbf.

We've lost badly at home to one of the worst sides in the Championship. It's a massive cause for concern.

Fixed your post. Before the kick off Wolves and Newcastle had both lost 2 games of 7 played making them far from one of the worst sides. It's also NOT a 'massive' cause for concern. Mildly perturbing perhaps.

Elsewhere I see you handing out worst post of the week awards and slamming other peoples posts as terrible simply because you don't agree with them.

Don't know why you don't get rinsed on here more often with double standards like that. ;)

Goalkeeper experts back out in force I see.

You don't need to be a goalkeeper expert to see that he should have done better wih that shot - he needs to be dropped as he looks a nervous wreck in everything he does currently and that's one position you can't afford to have that.

Tbf I wasn't even referring to the goal. Generally he was flappy and all over the shop. Haven't rewatched the second goal, but it did look nowhere near the corner like.

Anyone in Shearers (shit, anah) after the match? They're making a habit of having Steve fucking Wraith interview Supermac after the match. My word, the man is an absolute fucking misery, went in there depressed enough and had to listen to him rant nonsensical shite for 30 minutes. The bloke absolutely despises Mitrovic.

I can't remember seeing a team beaten at home who didn't put the opposition under pressure for some part of the game as they tried to get back into it. We've even did that against Arsenal and Man City but yesterday there was not one minute where we looked like we had them under pressure.

I struggle to recall a worse home performance and that includes recent Premier League nadirs such as Bournemouth and Reading.

Truly woeful and quite amazing that a level of performance can change so starkly in a few days.

I can't remember seeing a team beaten at home who didn't put the opposition under pressure for some part of the game as they tried to get back into it. We've even did that against Arsenal and Man City but yesterday there was not one minute where we looked like we had them under pressure.

I struggle to recall a worse home performance and that includes recent Premier League nadirs such as Bournemouth and Reading.

Truly woeful and quite amazing that a level of performance can change so starkly in a few days.

We had a small spell right before they scored, but yeah, it was woeful.

We had a small spell right before they scored, but yeah, it was woeful.

Yeah, the save from Ayoze was a pivotal moment and would have probably meant a very different outcome had it gone in, but once we went behind we couldn't muster any kind of pressure to get back into it.

People mentioning their second goal, but their first came from a counter attack from an absolute shocker of a pass by Hayden (?), it was a simple 10'yard pass under no pressure given straight to an opposition player with 20 yards of open space to run into.

That was Lascelles,?

Had the obvious easy option to put wide to Dummett, didn't, left his fullback in the shit also!

I think it's much too early to be slashing our wrists yet. We're eight games into a 48 game season, and we're four points from the top despite three incredibly s**** losses. No one is streaking away with the league; Huddersfield have started well but they're not about to go on some record-breaking run.

Our inconsistency is something of a curse, yes, but the positive is that teams will turn up thinking they have a chance. Better that than knowing they're going to under the kosh for 90 minutes and parking the bus (which we have demonstrated we are unable to circumvent).

Rafa's not going to change the habits of a lifetime and suddenly stop rotating heavily. Seems obvious his attacking options are Plan Target Man or Plan Quick Striker - but the plans don't just rely on who's up front so much as the other positions around them. We can only hope that he gets the mix right sooner rather than later, because we don't want to still be experimenting in November or January.

I agree with the general tone of your post, but some things are open to a different interpretation ; yes, teams may come to SJP thinking they have a chance, but it won't stop them parking the bus as they know we are poor at defeating sides who try this - a point at SJP will be very welcome and many will try to aim for that.

Yes, we still have plenty of games to go, but my main point remains because in previous promotion seasons we did not lose so many games early on and this removed much of the pressure on the team...I agree that Huddersfield are unlikely to go the distance(although many said the same about Leicester last season) but teams like Villa and Norwich WILL take heart from our stumbles at home.

I am certainly not advocating slitting wrists, but the poor way the team appears to have played in more than one home game is a matter for concern and inconsistency is something a side aiming for promotion - or any other success - can afford.

I disagree with playing one man up front at SJP, especially when he is not capable of being the target man...different matter if its someone like Shearer who would have caused the opposition to place at least 2 defenders on him.