Newcastle United 3 - 0 Ipswich Town - 22/10/16 - Post-match reaction from page 9

Wullie

Mick McCarthy:

“We never laid a glove on them really.

“I had set up to press them and not let them play but we conceded straight away.

“It was a fabulous finish and it was an uphill battle from the first minute.

“We stayed in the game for 70 minutes but we got out of the game what we deserved really.

“They are a really good side and they played very well on the day.

“Perhaps they shouldn’t be in the Championship.

“I certainly haven’t seen a better side this season and I’ll be surprised if they don’t win the league.

“It was tough out there from the first minute. They were so clinical with their finishes. Real quality. We have not got near them.

“If there were positives for us, Didz (David McGoldrick) played 45 minutes and he will be better for that. I need him out there. Jonny Williams had another 10 minutes as well.”

Mick :clap:

We were beaten by the better team, beaten by the champions.

If I see a better team than that this year, I’ll be surprised.  I’ve just spoke to the players, That was one of those days where we couldn’t do a lot about it. We tried everything to stop them and to get a foothold in the game.

To be fair, the one pleasing thing was we kept it at 1-0 for 70 minutes. We gave the ball away from a throw for the second goal, but nevertheless the finish was fabulous. All three of the finishes were fabulous.

I wonder if we’d have had those chances, or anybody else, would they have scored them? I don’t know.  They were better than us, they are better than us and they’ll be champions in my view.

Despite having managed Sunderland I think he's impossible not to like, especially for gems such as:

How wasn't that a penalty? :spit:

The only thing I can think of was the ref wasn't 100% sure the keeper hadn't got a touch and knew he'd have to red card him if he gave it. Reckon he'd have gave it if he could give a pen and leave it 11 V 11.

The only thing I can think of was the ref wasn't 100% sure the keeper hadn't got a touch and knew he'd have to red card him if he gave it. Reckon he'd have gave it if he could give a pen and leave it 11 V 11.

Think the rules changed this year so he wouldn't have even needed to give him a red card if it was a genuine attempt to get the ball, which I think it was. Would've been raging if the game was 0-0 at that point :lol:

Think the rules changed this year so he wouldn't have even needed to give him a red card if it was a genuine attempt to get the ball, which I think it was. Would've been raging if the game was 0-0 at that point :lol:

Didn't know that about the rule change, judging by the refereeing so far this season I'd be surprised if the ref did either!

:lol: if Mick had done anything but lick our collective hoop in the postmatch comments, y'all would be singing a very different tune about him.

People were mentioning it before the game too like

That was before the game, mate.

Seriously good performance today. Second best defence in the league I think Ipswich had and we put three past them with ease I  the end. We've seriously gone up through the gears in recent weeks. Credit to Rafa and the players for finding form and rythem.

If I see a better team than that this year, I’ll be surprised.  I’ve just spoke to the players, That was one of those days where we couldn’t do a lot about it. We tried everything to stop them and to get a foothold in the game.

To be fair, the one pleasing thing was we kept it at 1-0 for 70 minutes. We gave the ball away from a throw for the second goal, but nevertheless the finish was fabulous. All three of the finishes were fabulous.

I wonder if we’d have had those chances, or anybody else, would they have scored them? I don’t know.  They were better than us, they are better than us and they’ll be champions in my view.

hes a canny bloke Mick like, hopefully turns them around and takes them up along side us, and fucks off Norwich and Villa.

Didn't approve of "Fuck off Mick McCarthy" at 3-0 like.  But then he'd probably just shrug it off and say that's what you expect when you go to a club where you managed their rivals, which in turn is why he's the kind of guy who I don't want to abuse for it.

hes a canny bloke Mick like, hopefully turns them around and takes them up along side us, and fucks off Norwich and Villa.

Didn't approve of "Fuck off Mick McCarthy" at 3-0 like.  But then he'd probably just shrug it off and say that's what you expect when you go to a club where you managed their rivals, which in turn is why he's the kind of guy who I don't want to abuse for it.

Bless him. So none-offensive to anyone shame some of our support couldn't just let it be.

Thought Shelvey played well again,Well most of them did. The subs were spot on, Gouffran was a bit slow or seemed off today.Also much prefer Darlow in goal seems totally composed, and also prefer Yedlin at RB think yedlin had a really good game. Most will have perez as the man of the match but Shelvey just edged it because he's starting to do what we all hoped he would and that is to dictate the game.

Oh and a mention to the Ipswich fans who were great, only one Bobby. ?

Was emotional when we all sang for Sir Bob. The moment in itself symbolised what football is and should be about. Rivals coming together for the greater good. A gentlemanly act for the ultimate gent

Quick post re the non penalty decision in the first half.  Don't know if anyone else saw it but as soon as Gayle went down the ref looked over to the linesman and started waving his hand in the air as to signal for offside. 

I was right in line with it and it looked like the ref has decided Gayle was offside even though there was no flag and he was behind the f***** play  :lol:.  But then he didn't pull play back or whistle and Ipswich cleared.  Bizarre as the linesman had a perfect view of the line, rank officiating.