Preston North End vs Newcastle United - 29/10/16, 3pm BST

Decky

We are excellent away from home these days, this will be tough but we will be really well organised as usual and we have the quality to score.  I think last night might help as it will  bring the need to avoid complacency into focus even more.  0-1

Guest TheBallWinner

I would take a draw.

Tricky game. They played close to a 2nd string side tonight so I think their first team will be much tougher.

I don't really think things like 'this a classic game we'll lose' apply so much any more. Rafa will have them well prepared and they just need to execute the game plan. Job done.

I agree, it's just a difficult mindset to get out of after so many years of it. Still keep expecting us to go all Newcastle.

Yeah and now when most of our players are starting to find their rythm the competition for places is harder than ever. This will make sure that everyone is on their toes looking to perform as well as possible. He's having selection "problems" as it is and the players will know that they have to be at their absolute best to have a chance of starting. Sometimes players will be rested no matter what, but that's a different thing.

I'm absolutely loving that there's competition in each position for once. Not just that, players that do come in are good at this level and will also know what their role is, and not looking like a fish on land. A different player but it doesn't change THAT much. Everyone knows what Rafa wants and how.

Been reading here for a while, thought I'd sign up as it was inevitable eventually.

Obviously delighted with how things are at present, first time in years and years we've had a squad which can be rotated without too much loss (if any) of quality.

One thing I keep reading from posters/on Twitter/through the chronicle etc is that Gayle and Mitrovic should be played together. The benefits of Rafa going 4-2-3-1 throughout all of last season, pre season and this season is now beginning to shine through. Everyone in that squad knows their jobs, why? Because Rafa plays a system of which he has recruited personnel to fit the system and not just thrown money at names/players with sell-on potential. Whether it's Colback/Hayden/Shelvey/Diame/Perez starting in the midfield 3 if you like, they know exactly what is expected of them offensively and more importantly defensively. The wingers who play know they have a slight license to go express themselves and create, as one of the two deeper central midfields can always shift across to protect if a counter attack for the opposition occurs. Go 4-4-2 with Mitro + Gayle and we lose all of that instantly. The 'everyone knowing their jobs' in this current squad is pivotal to what we're seeing it now. Seen it for years with England as well, we pick personnel and have no idea of the best system. Rafa has gone system first over the summer and recruited accodingly, drilled it into the players and we are now reaping the benefits as fans. Long may it continue!

In reference to the thread, would take a point Saturday as Brighton play Norwich. Optimist in me wants to grind a 1-0 out - Gayle.

Been reading here for a while, thought I'd sign up as it was inevitable eventually.

Obviously delighted with how things are at present, first time in years and years we've had a squad which can be rotated without too much loss (if any) of quality.

One thing I keep reading from posters/on Twitter/through the chronicle etc is that Gayle and Mitrovic should be played together. The benefits of Rafa going 4-2-3-1 throughout all of last season, pre season and this season is now beginning to shine through. Everyone in that squad knows their jobs, why? Because Rafa plays a system of which he has recruited personnel to fit the system and not just thrown money at names/players with sell-on potential. Whether it's Colback/Hayden/Shelvey/Diame/Perez starting in the midfield 3 if you like, they know exactly what is expected of them offensively and more importantly defensively. The wingers who play know they have a slight license to go express themselves and create, as one of the two deeper central midfields can always shift across to protect if a counter attack for the opposition occurs. Go 4-4-2 with Mitro + Gayle and we lose all of that instantly. The 'everyone knowing their jobs' in this current squad is pivotal to what we're seeing it now. Seen it for years with England as well, we pick personnel and have no idea of the best system. Rafa has gone system first over the summer and recruited accodingly, drilled it into the players and we are now reaping the benefits as fans. Long may it continue!

In reference to the thread, would take a point Saturday as Brighton play Norwich. Optimist in me wants to grind a 1-0 out - Gayle.

Good post.

I think the attraction of a Gayle/Mitro combination appeals to us all in some way but we may as well be realistic, Rafa will not do it, unless injuries give him no option or we're chasing a game late on. He just doesn't do two up front.

Darlow

Anita

Lascelles

Clark

Dummett

Hayden

Shelvey

Ritchie

Diame

Gouffran

Gayle

1-1.

Expecting something very close to this. They seem to get joy through Paul Gallagher so the more defensive minded wingers (Gouff/Ritchie) will get the nod over Atsu. Same applies to Anita over Yedlin.

Good post.

I think the attraction of a Gayle/Mitro combination appeals to us all in some way but we may as well be realistic, Rafa will not do it, unless injuries give him no option or we're chasing a game late on. He just doesn't do two up front.

Yip good post. We have shown plenty of creativity in this system and the balance is fantastic.

I would have liked to see Gayle and Mitro together up front but this systems suites us much better at the moment and is creating patterns of play we have not been capable of for so long. Some of the short triangles yesterday were excellent.

It's the same formation our previous managers tried but did not know how to execute it. Compare to how hard we found passing a ball a few yards last season and our sluggish play and it's slick, players supporting each other, retention first. Play mixed up and attacking from all angles.

I don't think we need 2 strikers because we have a attacking 3 that contribute behind Gayle or Mitro and they no longer look as isolated all the time.

I don't really think things like 'this a classic game we'll lose' apply so much any more. Rafa will have them well prepared and they just need to execute the game plan. Job done.

I was just going to write something similar, we need to rip up the book labeled "typical NUFC things to do" Rafa's written a new one now.

As much as we'd all like to see Gayle and Mitro up front together, JP is right, this is Rafa's system, everyone knows their exact roles and he's drilling that into them now so that we are fully prepared if/when we get promoted and we're not tearing up one system and starting on another.

I also agree that probably every player we have is able to rotate into this system and we'd still look solid, some are better than others but he has the rotation perfect and it's the first time I've ever not been bothered by what lineup we're going to have before a match.

Agree with all of that apart from being happy to take a point on Saturday. Fuck that, we win games home or away barring the odd freak result.