Mitrovic or Gayle?

STM
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yeah, because I really voted on which of our two in-form strikers I love best. :lol:

That's not REALLY what I'm asking though. Benitez is being forced (because of his formation) to choose between them, so I wondered what people would do themselves.

Yeah, because I really voted on which of our two in-form strikers I love best. :lol:

We know you do man, you keep banging on about how he made things easy for Ba.

This is worth a thumbs up like. Don't feel it got the appreciation it deserved.

Mitro has 4 in 2 so I wouldn't take him out of the team just yet. He's earned a few more starts IMO.

In the medium to long term, I think Gayle is the one I'd prefer to be starting within Rafa's current formation and tactics.

Mitro has 4 in 2 so I wouldn't take him out of the team just yet. He's earned a few more starts IMO.

In the medium to long term, I think Gayle is the one I'd prefer to be starting within Rafa's current formation and tactics.

This is not Rafa's current formation and tactics, there is nothing current about it, this is the way he always plays. I personally would play them both but then again I like 442 or 352, attacking formations, however this is not the way Rafa plays. It's working in this league but next season if we are going to play with one striker up front they are going to have to be a lot better player than either Gayle or Mitovic or we are going to struggle.

WTF is so wrong about playing Mitrovic up top with Gayle behind instead of Diame.

I don't think Gayle is a #10. TBH though it might work. There are no doubt many ways of achieving success in this division with a number of formations given our squad. But one of the things we all knew about rafa coming into this was his formation preferences.

Conversely though, wtf is so right about forcing that lineup when what we're doing right now works a treat? :lol: Because people are in luuuuurv with the mad Serbian's pashun so much he deserves disrupting it?

We'd run up cricket scores against some of the sides in this league with 2 complimenting strikers on the pitch and a slightly looser formation, IMO. But Rafa treasures the team shape, which will probably make us more consistent and also serve us better long term upon promotion. Not to mention in a potential cup semi-final against a top side...

Rafa would just take one nils every game. Dont think hes arsed how many strikers or goals we get.

Obviously us fans want attackers on the pitch. He was forced to thow extra attackers on vs Norwich which ultimately helped see us turn that result around.

So its not like he will never have the pair on the pitch together.

WTF is so wrong about playing Mitrovic up top with Gayle behind instead of Diame.

Because Rafa clearly doesn't want to and thinks it won't work in his general scheme and ideas. I have zero issue with it personally.

If it's about what Rafa clearly wants then the original question was pointless as it's obvious that he'll choose Gayle, I think he's wrong.

Rafa has said why several times in interviews, he wants to control the midfield and in his view you do that with a number 10 sitting deep.

We're top 6 points clear of 3rd, i reckon he's getting right like. The thing is you notice when it doesn't work (which isn't often to be fair) more is because of the one striker. The lone frontman looks isolated and we end up being too direct.

Still better than cuntchops or island heed.

Rafa has said why several times in interviews, he wants to control the midfield and in his view you do that with a number 10 sitting deep.

We're top 6 points clear of 3rd, i reckon he's getting right like. The thing is you notice when it doesn't work (which isn't often to be fair) more is because of the one striker. The lone frontman looks isolated and we end up being too direct.

Debatable.

Debatable.

Go on ...

We're top 6 points clear of 3rd, i reckon he's getting right like. The thing is you notice when it doesn't work (which isn't often to be fair) more because of the one striker, . The lone frontman looks isolated and we end up being too direct.

But none of the players we play in that gap do much in midfield (or up front fwiw) so we'd be as likely to control the midfiled as we are anyway. Is it a coincidence that the only time that "10" has had a good game this season is with more of a target man up front (Perez v QPR and Diame v PNE).

We're top 6 points clear of 3rd, i reckon he's getting right like. The thing is you notice when it doesn't work (which isn't often to be fair) more because of the one striker, . The lone frontman looks isolated and we end up being too direct.

But none of the players we play in that gap do much in midfield (or up front fwiw) so we'd be as likely to control the midfiled as we are anyway. Is it a coincidence that the only time that "10" has had a good game this season is with more of a target man up front (Perez v QPR and Diame v PNE).

Perez played well vs Ipswich without a target man

I'm with you on this but just giving you Rafa's reasoning. Prefer Mitro plus one myself.

Perez played well vs Ipswich without a target man

He didn't really, weird as it sounds as he scored twice and created the other, he was nowhere near as good as he can be, as he was V qpr.

All that says to me is that neither of the options we have are doing what Rafa wants ideally, they just happen to be the best we have right now.

They might eventually but i imagine if Rafa could buy a player for that position in the summer he would.