Leeds United vs Newcastle United - 20/11/16 @ 13:15 - SS1

It is a valid argument. Benitez could, in championship terms at least, form exactly whatever kind of squad he wanted with the sale of want away underperforming stars- which should make his job during the season a lot easier. As such, more should be expected of him.

I can see their argument, but I highly disagree that he doesn´t deserve manager of the month. What else other than winning all the matches possible can he do? :lol:

It is a valid argument. Benitez could, in championship terms at least, form exactly whatever kind of squad he wanted with the sale of want away underperforming stars- which should make his job during the season a lot easier. As such, more should be expected of him.

And that's our fault how? because we are able to sell highly valued players and replace them shouldn't be vindicated, if anything it's the opposite.

Never thought i'd see the day where you have people criticising a club from replacing it's best players, it's nonsense is what it is if they don't like it develop their own players and sell them for big money like most championship clubs do.

There's no validity to any of it.

It´s not our fault, I'm not criticizing anything. It´s just a fact. We were discussing the Benitez manager of the month thing, yes?

Of course our standards are higher than for anyone else in the league. We had to sell the top players like all other relegated teams, but we had the luxury of cherry picking from the very top of what players we wanted in to get promoted. You can´t deny that no matter how much money was left over from sales.

Benitez has to get better results than anyone else to rightfully claim manager of the month, which he has, so I think the award was correctly given to him. I don´t know why people from other clubs are against it.

If Neil Warnock had the same form as us in October, he should rightfully have the award before Benitez unless the goal difference was insane in our favor as it´s a bigger achievement to get the results with them as it is with us.

Meh, Monk had a decent month but Hughton did better, if Benitez never won it then it would and should have went to him. I see their point, Benitez will rightfully have to do more than any other manager as he has the best and most expensive side in the league (although anyone saying we 'spent £50m' in the summer is an idiot).  Bit hard not to give him it like when he wins every game :lol:

No clue what Benitez being a Champions League wining manager has to do with anything like, I can only assume those lads are massive freaks.

EDIT: Conjo :thup:

Main reason Leeds fans are bigging this one up is because they think they can win. Been on a decent run and Monk has them playing some decent stuff. They see this as the next step, top of the league at their place, chance to cement a good run with a win against what should be a PL side like they think they should be. You'd be surprised how many Leeds fans think they;re going to finish 2nd, atm. We'll see how long that lasts.

The absolute state of their fans complaining that Rafa won manager of the month is ludicrous.

Are they?

A couple of days ago you couldn't go on twitter and type nufc into the search without coming across a mass tantrum from all leeds fans that monk didn't win manager of the month, funny as fuck!!

The crack of "you spent lots of money and have a cl-winning manager you were always going to be top" doesn't seem to be aimed at 14th placed aston villa, who actually did spend a lot of money with their cl-winning manager for some reason :lol:

Leeds are a club with a huge percentage of mongs like.

c***s to a man.  s*** city, s*** football team, s*** ground, hope they end up bust in non league where the no mark scumbags belong.

I remember using a Leeds forum about the time we signed Woodgate and Milner and it was terrible, think RTG standards. Looked on recently and it was much better, more friendly etc.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm weirdly confident in my opinion that we'll lose this one for some reason. Might put a bet on to soften the blow if it happens.

I'm weirdly confident in my opinion that we'll lose this one for some reason. Might put a bet on to soften the blow if it happens.

That's because all the media etc are depicting this as a more difficult game than any we have faced which is not strictly true ; what IS true is that we are playing a team against whom there has always been a degree of niggle at a time when they are showing some good form...and we are away from home too.

My only concerns surround our own side and whether they have the bottle and collective grit to overcome the obvious disadvantages after they have become used to steamrollering previous opponents - the fact is that if both sides play to their true capabilities, we should narrowly win...if not, and we play below par, we could lose.

The longer we keep a clean sheet, the more likely we are to win..an early goal for them will get their tails up.

An interesting scenario - normally, I wouldn't worry too much about a defeat after so many wins but in this case, I want to see NUFC ram Monk's words down his throat...

I think Sunday has the potential to be a bit of a banana skin. Hopefully Rafa will have instilled the right attitude into the players, as I can see Leeds starting very quickly. It will be a very hostile atmosphere - I remember listening to the game down there in 1989 and there was apparently all sorts going on. :( Vinnie Jones was at Leeds, at that time. Seem to remember that NUFC were given a very small allocation for that too.

That's because all the media etc are depicting this as a more difficult game than any we have faced which is not strictly true ; what IS true is that we are playing a team against whom there has always been a degree of niggle at a time when they are showing some good form...and we are away from home too.

My only concerns surround our own side and whether they have the bottle and collective grit to overcome the obvious disadvantages after they have become used to steamrollering previous opponents - the fact is that if both sides play to their true capabilities, we should narrowly win...if not, and we play below par, we could lose.

The longer we keep a clean sheet, the more likely we are to win..an early goal for them will get their tails up.

An interesting scenario - normally, I wouldn't worry too much about a defeat after so many wins but in this case, I want to see NUFC ram Monk's words down his throat...

What words were they?

Noel Whelan speaking to the Yorkshire Evening Post:

“Newcastle are on fire at the moment, Rafa Benitez seems to have got them firing on all cylinders and he is getting them adjusted to the Championship now and the way of playing and they are seeing the benefits from that.

“But in saying that, they have got international players in their ranks and you would expect Newcastle to be up there.

“With Leeds, I would say Garry Monk has probably done a better job because it’s difficult when you are on a budget and you have got to bring players in and you don’t have money available.

“So really, the job that Garry has done, is probably a little bit harder and he is a little bit more successful right now than Benitez.

“If O’Kane and Liam Bridcutt are both going to be missing against Newcastle then it’s going to be difficult, isn’t it? They have got a lot of experience in their team at Newcastle.

“But in saying that, I would put my trust in the Leeds United players, whether that’s the squad or the XI in general because we saw against Norwich that it’s not just about the XI – it’s about the whole squad and everybody contributing, such as the substitutes when they came on.

“If so, then they have got another opportunity against Newcastle to shine and show the manager why they should be in that starting XI.

“If somebody is injured then that’s your big opportunity and whoever steps in – if O’Kane is injured – will be going out there to show the manager that he wants to keep that spot. It could mean Ronaldo Vieira starting alongside Kalvin Phillips.”

70's and 80's I agree. Quite some rivalry then.

Back then Leeds were a top top club with some of the best players around.  Most teams in the then First division just couldnt cope with them.  They had the likes of Peter Lorimer, Johnny Giles, Billy Bremner, Alan Clarke and Mick Jones, not to mention, Norman Hunter, Paul Reaney and Jack Charlton to name a few.  One of our best midfileders, Terry Hibbitt, was a reserve at leeds who couldnt get a game. 

“Newcastle are on fire at the moment, Rafa Benitez seems to have got them firing on all cylinders and he is getting them adjusted to the Championship now and the way of playing and they are seeing the benefits from that.

“But in saying that, they have got international players in their ranks and you would expect Newcastle to be up there.

“With Leeds, I would say Garry Monk has probably done a better job because it’s difficult when you are on a budget and you have got to bring players in and you don’t have money available.

“So really, the job that Garry has done, is probably a little bit harder and he is a little bit more successful right now than Benitez.

“If O’Kane and Liam Bridcutt are both going to be missing against Newcastle then it’s going to be difficult, isn’t it? They have got a lot of experience in their team at Newcastle.

“But in saying that, I would put my trust in the Leeds United players, whether that’s the squad or the XI in general because we saw against Norwich that it’s not just about the XI – it’s about the whole squad and everybody contributing, such as the substitutes when they came on.

“If so, then they have got another opportunity against Newcastle to shine and show the manager why they should be in that starting XI.

“If somebody is injured then that’s your big opportunity and whoever steps in – if O’Kane is injured – will be going out there to show the manager that he wants to keep that spot. It could mean Ronaldo Vieira starting alongside Kalvin Phillips.”

Ignoring the fact Rafa has turned the entire club around I guess.

Ignoring the fact Rafa has turned the entire club around I guess.

Also ignoring the fact that Leeds are 11 points behind us.

People are going on as if we're in a comparable position but Benitez has gotten their the easy way with lots of cash ect.  In reality they're nowhere near us.  Same goes for the manager of the month thing.  Leeds have lost and drawn in the league in October, got 10 points for the month.  We've won every game and have 15 points for the month.  Not to mention we won our cup game in October 6-0 while they drew theirs.  Again not even comparable.

The Leeds job obviously is more difficult but what's the basis for him saying Monk is more successful at the moment?

The NUFC job is only 'less difficult' because of Rafa himself turning the situation around. I'd argue before he came in it was one of the hardest jobs in football.

Tbh I think most managers would get us out of the championship this season given the money we've been able to spend, all of which has been collected from transfers out it must be said, and the players we already had at the club