Preparing for the Premier League

Altamullan

Why would he be on the move? He's been playing plenty of late hasn't he?

Dating Perrie from Little Mix whose from up here. Pretty much guaranteed the deal will go through.

No idea why he's really being linked with a move away though.

Really? Lucky bastard.

Dating Perrie from Little Mix whose from up here. Pretty much guaranteed the deal will go through.

Really? Lucky b******.

This has just ruined my night.

I do think with Rafa in charge we would stay up comfortably even with the current squad, probably not top 10 or anything but comfortably above the bottom 3.

However there's not many spots in the team that we don't need to strengthen if we want to try and kick on and have a solid PL team.

In all honesty I would keep a fair amount of the current squad, but would hope for about 5-6 quality signings if and when we do go up.

Would probably offload, Krul, Sels, Hanley, Tiote, Gouffran, Murphy, Perez, Colback, De Jong. Timmy because I think he would bring in a decent fee in an area we are well stocked, and the rest because they are shite or I'm not convinced they could do a PL job (or haven't done a PL job in the past)

Would also not mind losing Mbemba, Dummett, Diame, possibly Clark if higher quality signings were made in those areas, Clark being the tough one because hes been our best central defender by far this season, and think he may improve further and have a good PL season with Rafa, others are basically solid players too but as I say, we could and probably will make improvements.

I'm actually genuinely excited to see if we can attract some biggish names next season.

If there were no changes,and we started a Premier League, with the current team, with a successful season and established playing style under their belts, would it inevitably be a constant struggle/relegation fight? I keep veering from thinking we would desperately need at least 6 players to blind faith in the current crop, I.e. some of the players are still developing and we'd already be better than some teams/competitive with most.

Darlow

Anita Lascelles Clark Dummett

Ritchie Shelvey Hayden Atsu

Diame

Gayle

Subs/Options:

Hanley

Lazaar

Mbemba

Yedlin

Colback

Guoffran

Mitrovic

Others:

Mbabu

Haidara

Gamez

Sterry

Aarons 

Tiote

de Jong

Saivet

Murphy

Rivière

Armstrong

Just looked at the strikers/forwards (inc clearly attacking midfielders) signed by Rafa at Liverpool: who are the only club he has really been at long enough to get a flavour of how he builds a squad (five top five finishes in five seasons, btw). The ones who stood out were:

Luis Garcia 2004 (basically same role and importance as Coutinho has for Klopp's side), Morientes 2005, Bellamy 2006, Torres 2007, Keane 2008, N'gog 2008 (cover for Torres) Sterling 2010 (as one to watch). So mainly quick and creative and capable of playing a wide forward role (Kuyt springs to mind who apparently scored 15 goals one season from left wing/forward).

However, add to this Crouch 2005, who according to the LFC fan-site Rafa turned from a laughing stock into an international.

My reading of this is there is still hope for Mitro featuring and developing under Rafa, but probability is if he signs another striker it will be one in the Gayle mode, only perceived to be better.

Yeah I'm sure she still spends all of her spare time in Sooth Shields like.

• 2 months later...

Valdes from Boro would be worth a shout if they go down. We could do with some reliability there. Also a few players from Palace if they go down and maybe a Tom Ince, or two from the Championship

I liked the look of Kachunga yesterday. Alternated  between right and left wing, but nominally a striker. He's on lone from some German side I've never heard of, is 24, and looks like a Benetiz type forward.

You've not heard of the Bundesliga club, Ingolstadt? :lol:

I liked the look of Kachunga yesterday. Alternated  between right and left wing, but nominally a striker. He's on lone from some German side I've never heard of, is 24, and looks like a Benetiz type forward.

You've not heard of the Bundesliga club, Ingolstadt? :lol:

Nope... I should feel embarrassed, shouldn't I?  ;)

Only belive 4 of the current side are premiership ready.

We would have to clear loads out. The fact Jack Colback can start games for us scares the shit out of me.

Clark,Shelvey,Ritchie and a push Lacelles because he still has time.

I would recoup as much as possible in sales if possible and have a complete overhaul. Also hopeful of a investment on top of that. This side would need major surgery or its just relegation all over again.

Not sure Gayle would be the man to carry us and have all the pressure on him as our attacking outlet. A decent striker would be priority.

We would have to clear loads out. The fact Jack Colback can start games for us scares the shit out of me.

I would recoup as much as possible in sales if possible and have a complete overhaul. Also hopeful of a investment on top of that. This side would need major surgery or its just relegation all over again.

Not sure Gayle would be the man to carry us and have all the pressure on him as our attacking outlet. A decent striker would be priority.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Blowing up a squad that has gelled over the course of this season and trying to start from scratch is a recipe for disaster. We need to keep the core of the squad intact and strengthen key areas (LB, CB, CM, ST).

We would have to clear loads out. The fact Jack Colback can start games for us scares the s*** out of me.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Blowing up a squad that has gelled over the course of this season and trying to start from scratch is a recipe for disaster. We need to keep the core of the squad intact and strengthen key areas (LB, CB, CM, ST).

Agreed. Especially with a manager so detailed and tactically drilled as Rafa.

I think he'll look for 4/5 first teamers and maybe some gaps. I think it's clear he wants a winger, CM and a striker for the first XI at the least.

Its hardly disagreeing wholeheartedly and then adding we need 4 or 5. The core of the squad are those I mentioned as reputable for the prem. But don't kid yourself that keeping hold of your Colback, Hanley,Mitro,Gamez, Dummett,and so many others should be trusted in the top division. I could also see a large number of the current loan players culled. I dont think we will take Atsu, and other players like Mbemba and others will surley want to leave.  So perhaps a total overhaul will happen regardless. We can see who our consistent players are and they are the lads likely to maintain their status.

The rest are very average.

Almost forgot to add Anita & Gouffran also out of contract, will they be retained?