Tammy Abraham joins Swansea

Figures 1-0 Football

Swansea is a good option for him. The manager will know him from his time at Chelsea too.

I'm more comfortable bringing in someone with more experience who will not just be on loan too, as it seems the guy wants to play a lot.

Ideally better to be buying a player. None of us know the real budget Rafa has to work with though.

It's hard to figure out if we're really in for the players we're being linked with.

If we did have a bigger pot to spend, it could be clever from the club when it comes to negotiations over transfer fees by playing the poor mouth now.

Kid looked a prospect, no loss though. Badly advised players earn reputations quickly.

I think he'd have been a decent signing but I can understand why he went to Swansea, probably a better chance he'll end up starting more games down there. Wouldn't mind Llorente here funnily enough if he's rumoured to be moving on.

Shame, lad obviously has mega-potential. But can't be confident he will realise that potential, particularly within a one season loan and, as many have commented, if he isn't keen to come, or has some silly stipulated number of starts, then better off without.

Why some people turn their noses up at loaning players I don't know. Most clubs outside the top 6 do it. Let's make sure we have a squad big enough and good enough to compete before we start saying we don't want to loan players.

If we don't get Abraham I hope we get someone better. I don't care if it's only on loan without the option to buy. We're not likely to be pushing the likes of Chelsea in our first season back in the Premiership. They're not our likely competition. Our rivals will happily loan players. I'm happy if we do too.

Can't say I'm overly bothered, there is a better striker at Chelsea I would be more interested in. Still an unproven quantity at PL level, Patrick Bamford was this last Chelsea kid to tear up the champ, didn't pull up too many trees last season in the big league. Would have been happy if he had signed, but not shedding too many tears now it looks like he's not.

Swansea is far from a shit hole like, it's a really nice place, visited about 6 times, and moving there in a few months.

oh really?  have a wander round Mayhill, Winch Wen............drug capital of Wales, its a fucking tip, The Mumbles is nice but no better than Whitley Bay.

i lived there, i know  :lol:

He's going to be a really, really good player but at this moment in time he isn't better than Gayle and we'd only have him for one season anyway. No great loss.

if he's going to be that good as you so wisely say, why not buy him then?  flash in the pan , we dodged a bullet  :D

Swansea is far from a shit hole like, it's a really nice place, visited about 6 times, and moving there in a few months.

oh really?  have a wander round Mayhill, Winch Wen............drug capital of Wales, its a fucking tip, The Mumbles is nice but no better than Whitley Bay.

I can only comment on what ive seen, but everything ive seen round Singleton, the main town centre, around the Liberty, even uplands although kind of a estate is decent enough, and is on par with Newcastle, although Newcastle has a better main drag.

When did you live there, as its apparently had a lot of money put into it lately?

An unproven striker from a club with surplus personnel due to the greed of wanting all upcoming players.  The unfilled potential is then only available on a loan so that he can be attempted to develop for that same greedy club without upsetting their applecart too much and is then expected to be given a starting spot to compete against the likes of the same greedy club but not directly against them due to loan conditions.

In doing so a certain percentage of wage is used and a slot that would normally expect to be used on a player that will give his all here to either get his club to better things and increase the ambition of your side achieving something is lost.  A potential £8m - £12m striker that with a good season under his belt for a premier league side could see his value increase to £25m - £30m in a shot. A real kick in the bollocks for a side that develops but no skin off the nose of Chelsea who can just loan him out again if he turns out to be a dud.

Why are some having a meltdown again?

Swansea is far from a s*** hole like, it's a really nice place, visited about 6 times, and moving there in a few months.

oh really?  have a wander round Mayhill, Winch Wen............drug capital of Wales, its a f***ing tip, The Mumbles is nice but no better than Whitley Bay.

I live there now. Its somewhere in between. Improved a lot over the years but still a long way to go :) :)

Anyway, not overly concerned with missing out on this, would have been more than happy to have signed him but believe Gayle would be the better option in the Premier League at the moment. A loan wouldn't have been ideal either however, I am not dead against them just would prefer a permanent signing.

An unproven striker from a club with surplus personnel due to the greed of wanting all upcoming players.  The unfilled potential is then only available on a loan so that he can be attempted to develop for that same greedy club without upsetting their applecart too much and is then expected to be given a starting spot to compete against the likes of the same greedy club but not directly against them due to loan conditions.

In doing so a certain percentage of wage is used and a slot that would normally expect to be used on a player that will give his all here to either get his club to better things and increase the ambition of your side achieving something is lost.  A potential £8m - £12m striker that with a good season under his belt for a premier league side could see his value increase to £25m - £30m in a shot. A real kick in the bollocks for a side that develops but no skin off the nose of Chelsea who can just loan him out again if he turns out to be a dud.

Why are some having a meltdown again?

Not sure about the "meltdown" but everything else is spot on.

The whole loan system needs a serious rethink, possibly to the extent of scrapping it altogether in the top leagues except for emergencies.

It plays into the hands of a few big clubs who want to recruit far too many players, but if it didn't exist then both the clubs and players would have to think very carefully.

It also allows certain lesser clubs to overuse it and stumble along season after season without developing a longer term strategy before almost inevitably crashing (see our nearest and dearest).

Why would any of the stakeholders want to change the loan system, though?

The big clubs can hoover up good youngsters. Lower league clubs can loan in good players for less risk and outlay. The league can claim that not only do they have the best players but also the best prospects on display. The TV rights holders can show a higher standard of football than if those prospects stayed in reserve teams or "undiscovered" in their homelands.

In fact, isn't it only (relatively) recently that they opened intra-league loans up? I remember it being a rule you couldn't do that - so why would they change it back?

I think what pisses me off about this deal is mainly that when he was rumoured to be coming here, that idea was shot down pretty quickly with Abraham's people ( I assume) eager to point out no decision had been made. For some reason I don't think that's going to happen with the Swansea claims.