Florian Lejeune (now playing for Rayo Vallecano)

sempuki

He looks like a canny beefy motherfucker like. Happy days.

He's proper slow apparently

Reminds me a little of Woodgate in those respects. Not quick and he doesn't look "beefy" but strong, attributes that made Woodgate the defender he was as he made up for his lacks in ways that made him excellent........when he played. Here's hoping similar with this bloke.

Woodgate not quick?

Not really. You never saw him eat up ground to get back at someone, to be honest he never seemed to need to, just read things so well.

Reminds me a little of Woodgate in those respects. Not quick and he doesn't look "beefy" but strong, attributes that made Woodgate the defender he was as he made up for his lacks in ways that made him excellent........when he played. Here's hoping similar with this bloke.

Woodgate not quick?

Not really. You never saw him eat up ground to get back at someone, to be honest he never seemed to need to, just read things so well.

I disagree but kind of see what point your trying to make. I just remember him up against Drogba for Marseille and that tackle against Chelsea thinking he was quicker than I thought before we bought him.

Woodgate not quick?

I disagree but kind of see what point your trying to make. I just remember him up against Drogba for Marseille and that tackle against Chelsea thinking he was quicker than I thought before we bought him.

Know what you mean, just seemed like speed wasn't part of his game too much if that makes sense.

Lascelles looks just as big as this chap so it doesn't mean anything. Both are not the quickest, so can't see them playing together.

Wouldn't be surprised if Clarke is the first name on the teamsheet this season. (unless we sign another defender)

Lascelles looks just as big as this chap so it doesn't mean anything. Both are not the quickest, so can't see them playing together.

Wouldn't be surprised if Clarke is the first name on the teamsheet this season. (unless we sign another defender)

I'm of the same thinking tbh, then I remember Lascelles is captain and for some reason I can't see Rafa changing that so.. he'll be a starter?

I'm of the same thinking tbh, then I remember Lascelles is captain and for some reason I can't see Rafa changing that so.. he'll be a starter?

Rafa would drop his own mother if it meant getting the right line-up to win a match. (no offence Mrs. B)

Beefy / Strong

Potayto / Potahto

Clark should be the first (defender) on the team sheet (unless we sign another!)

Clark should be the first (defender) on the team sheet (unless we sign another!)

Back 3 with wing backs would tick a lot of boxes with our squad as it stands right now imo...

As others have said you can't take nothing from that, like. Boumsong looked like a fucking super athlete, until he had opponents to deal with. That Onyewu bloke too.

Guest neesy111

Boumsong actually had some decent games vs Henry iirc, he could follow a striker well but at actually defending he was hopeless for us.

Guest firetotheworks

Boumsong actually had some decent games vs Henry iirc, he could follow a striker well but at actually defending he was hopeless for us.

Boumsong is probably the most calamitous defender I've seen playing for us tbh. So bad that I felt sorry for him just as strongly as I wanted him out of the team. That penalty he gave away against Liverpool just summed his time with us up.

Nah, he wasn't calamitous, he was just poor at pretty much everything. Bramble was calamitous, whilst being good at things he'd just kick fresh air randomly, or make a totally stupid decision every now and then.

I think Bramble's good games far outweighed his poor games though.

Brambles very average games far outweighed his decent ones. His good games were very rare.

Boumsong couldn't handle the pressure either. Just shit himself every time. Unless he played Henry, bizarrely.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/latest-videos/florian-lejeune-meets-the-press

"How important was it that Rafa Benitez is the manager here in your decision?"

'It was really important'

:smitten: Rafa man

To be fair, it's not like he'll answer a leading question like that in another way.

Maybe people would respect a player more if he was 100% truthful.

"I'd never even heard of Rafa Benitez before this week. My motivation to sign for Newcastle United was purely financial."

... maybe not.

I'm of the opinion that at their worst all 4 of the current CBs are mid to lower table standard PL defenders, when you consider we had defenders who had no right to be playing for a PL club for years on end i'm pretty satisfied with what we have in the short term.