Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

3 assists in 2 games. He is the perfect squad player. Doesn’t cause problems, boosts morale of fans and teammates. Contributes when asked and pushes the levels of those ahead of him. When we were sending him out of loan to WBA and Sheff Wed I thought he was a goner, just didn’t see him carving out anything like the career he’s had here. 

definitely a player worth keeping and i would say we can let Almiron go and have him as our option down the right, he can cover multiple positions there and his end product has improved this season, i think he has better stats than alot of the leagues expensive wingers (Grealish, Antony and the rest..)

He’s an odd player, I’ll give him that. He’s actually a very decent crosser of the ball and he made some very good decisions today. I don’t always think he makes good decisions though. He’s improved a huge amount under Howe and still seems to be growing in confidence. Can’t fault his desire, do find him frustrating in a number of ways fairly often but maybe being a backup option is his future here and one where he’ll continue to be valuable 

47 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

:aww:

Sign him up. Norwich fans always said we signed the inferior one.

7 hours ago, CPL said:

Falls under the category of James Perch 

He's a much better footballer than Perch although I know what you're getting at, he's a cult hero with the fans who's playing above his expected ceiling and who's overcome a shit start to his NUFC career to become a very valued contributor.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Conjo said:

The Sandlot Kiss GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Forgot.

6 good games > 6 shit seasons :bluestar:

More than happy for him to continue like yesterday mind :lol:

Edited by Aiston

On 12/03/2024 at 08:00, St1pe said:

Would play him in that right wing position for the rest of the season. He’s limited, he’s a squad player but I guarantee he gets more g/a contributions than Almiron who’s currently stealing a living here. 

Doing that irritating thing people do by quoting themselves to prove a point. 

Buy a proper RW in the summer and Murphy is a more than capable backup. For all his hard work Miggy isn’t a player that’s going to result in us winning enough games. 

6 hours ago, Aiston said:

Forgot.

6 good games > 6 shit seasons :bluestar:

More than happy for him to continue like yesterday mind :lol:

He's had two decent seasons in a row now but do keep making a fool out of yourself after single below-par performances. :thup: 

He’s been excellent for two seasons now. He is disciplined in his positioning, works hard, selects the right options in possession, whips in a great ball. His main downside is his shooting and finishing, but he’s been unlucky hitting the post. Hes a great lad, loves the club and his teammates. Squad players like Murphy are priceless. 

When he has an off game he's dog shit but when he is playing well he doesn't look out of place at all. Lad seems happy to be here and help out the little mini celebrations with team mates when we score to me indicate he is one of the characters of the team. 

The fact I hope he is happy to help out whenever makes me feel he would understand being a squad/rotation player for us particularly if someone comes in for almiron so unless a decent offer comes in for him happy for him to stick around. 

I'm a big Murphy fan, just spent 30 mins swotting up on games he's started this season and results.

Started 15, won 11 (including 5 away), drawn 3, lost 1.
Man city League Cup - win
AC Milan away Champions League - draw
Palace Prem - win
Villa away Prem away - win
Fulham away FA cup - win
Blackburn away FA Cup - win
Luton Prem - draw
West Ham Prem - win
Wolves Prem - win
Sheff Utd Prem - win
Palace Prem - lost
Spurs Prem - win
Fulham Away Prem - win
Everton Prem - draw
Burnley Away Prem - win

16 hours ago, nufcjmc said:

When he has an off game he's dog shit but when he is playing well he doesn't look out of place at all. Lad seems happy to be here and help out the little mini celebrations with team mates when we score to me indicate he is one of the characters of the team. 

The fact I hope he is happy to help out whenever makes me feel he would understand being a squad/rotation player for us particularly if someone comes in for almiron so unless a decent offer comes in for him happy for him to stick around. 

This is the perfect summary for me too...

21 hours ago, aussiemag said:

He’s been excellent for two seasons now. He is disciplined in his positioning, works hard, selects the right options in possession, whips in a great ball. His main downside is his shooting and finishing, but he’s been unlucky hitting the post. Hes a great lad, loves the club and his teammates. Squad players like Murphy are priceless. 

His close control is also suspect, hence why he struggled so much under Palace's high press when he was asked to play wing back. He does have a very good delivery into the box though, decent enough as a squad player.

with 0.54 assists per 90 minutes played, he is the highest of all premier league wingers/attacking mids this season.

Posted (edited)

Think comparing him and his brother shows how much luck comes into it in making it at the top level. At one point Josh was playing for Cardiff in the PL and Jacob was out on loan in the Championship. Fast forward now and Jacob has played CL this season while Josh has dropped down to upper League One.

In reality I don't think there is quite that much of a gap in talent level between the two. They both sold for basically identical fees a year apart. Jacob has benefitted hugely from firstly the club being so dysfunctional under Ashley that we regularly kept inadequate players around for years and offered them long contracts, and secondly from landing on a manager in Howe who has subsequently been able to squeeze every last inch out of his talent level.

That's not to do Jacob a disservice - I think he's clearly got an excellent attitude himself and is a good pro. I just find the sliding doors moments in football so interesting when you look at players' careers. In another timeline both brothers possibly end up playing out their careers in the Championship.

Edited by ponsaelius

19 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Think comparing him and his brother shows how much luck comes into it in making it at the top level. At one point Josh was playing for Cardiff in the PL and Jacob was out on loan in the Championship. Fast forward now and Jacob has played CL this season while Josh has dropped down to upper League One.

In reality I don't think there is quite that much of a gap in talent level between the two. They both sold for basically identical fees a year apart. Jacob has benefitted hugely from firstly the club being so dysfunctional under Ashley that we regularly kept inadequate players around for years and offered them long contracts, and secondly from landing on a manager in Howe who has subsequently been able to squeeze every last inch out of his talent level.

That's not to do Jacob a disservice - I think he's clearly got an excellent attitude himself and is a good pro. I just find the sliding doors moments in football so interesting when you look at players' careers. In another timeline both brothers possibly end up playing out their careers in the Championship.

Yeah excellent point. In a similar vein, it's also the reason why during a difficult run of games when a team's form dips, I feel the tendency supporters have to point blame at the quality of players is often misplaced. Usually the automatic response is to want to rip up squads and declare certain players as not good enough; however there's often much more subtle factors at play, which when addressed can propel the same group of players on an entirely different trajectory.

We've seen it ourselves first hand the last three years, yet still after a few bad results you regularly read lists of players in our squad deemed not good enough. I believe players at the top level are generally of a similar technical level other than obvious outliers - it's all of the unquantifables that make the difference.