Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

He did well yesterday in a game against opposition of much higher quality than we've played in the last 4 matches. West Ham had to take Fredericks off because Murphy was all over him.

Give him a break, see how he does against Brentford and Brighton then we can make a better judgement.  

If we are lucky, ASM will be back for the Southampton game but until then Murphy is the best we have in that position.

• 2 weeks later...

First half I thought he was decisive, dynamic, and what I picture him at his best. He also missed a one on one and failed to spot Fraser for a simple finish :lol:

I feel bad as he's a good lad, but I think if we could flog him to a top end Championship team we should be all over it.

If we’d failed to get the three points today it would have totally been on him after missing that chance on half time. It was an absolute shocker.

3-0 and the game is done.

Edited by Sima

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

I know we have maxi back now but my god he’s possibly a championship player at best.

Different positions but the fact he started over Bruno even if it meant changing to formation seems like a madness.

His run was vital for the first goal like. Thought he was unlucky with the finish to hit the post

Really can't fault his effort and he has a good 60% of the necessary tools to be a good player. Unfortunately the 40% he doesn't have is the critical part that makes him simply not good enough. 

On the assumption we stay up and invest as intended in the summer, I'd be wanting him sold. His ultimate lack of ability makes him just not dependable enough, even as a backup, for where our ambitions appear to be. 

6 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Literally a post's width away from being decent. :lol:

Those little dinks over the keeper are actually the mark of someone who knows how to finish. I think Howe sees a player in there, same as Rafa did. Reminds me a lot of when we had James Milner here, and he got slated for always being a nearly man. Murphy's not that different, he's got everything in the locker to be an amazing player, but never quite seems to produce when it matters. But look what happened to Milner oncehe left and the expectation was off him. I think at worst Murphy will be a good squad player, I can see us keeping him on tbh.

5 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

I know we have maxi back now but my god he’s possibly a championship player at best.

Different positions but the fact he started over Bruno even if it meant changing to formation seems like a madness.

At best? Of course he’d be a good championship player.

I know it's a bit of a daft thing to say because the reality is what's happened and not what might have been, but he's genuinely a post's width away from being a very useful player and I would hope that can still be corrected by Howe. Murphy should have at least 3 this season tbh.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I know it's a bit of a daft thing to say because the reality is what's happened and not what might have been, but he's genuinely a post's width away from being a very useful player and I would hope that can still be corrected by Howe. Murphy should have at least 3 this season tbh.

Off the top of me head he was a one-on-one away from winning it at Watford and could've put Cambridge to bed on his own. Couldn't finish if his life depended on it.

There's this weird belief on here he's "got a decent shot on him" which he simply hasn't. As I say, I won't fault him in effort, but where want to be? Nah. Taraa.