Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

I really think he's worked his bollocks off since Howe came in, but he's probably about as good as he's ever going to get at 27 which, ultimately, isn't good enough for a side looking towards upper mid-table next season.

That finish was hard, mind. One of the hardest skills in the game trying a volley when it comes over your shoulder like that. 

Love his energy and pace. Just the same as most of our attacking players. His decision making in the final third is usually poor. 

If he doesn't block a valuable squad place, I'd quite like to keep him on.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think he would be happy to play backup/support act for as long as he can on our journey, while coming on highly motivated and physically prepared when we do need him as cover. I think Miggy feels the pain of being firmly on the back burner a lot more, which I don't blame him for, but isn't ideal in the great scheme of things.

I saw an interview with Murphy recently and thought he was surprisingly intelligent and well-considered, which is also handy. He seems like the sort who will already be thinking about his post-playing career.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a really likeable bloke, but hasn't developed one bit since we bought him. Zero end product and a bit pointless having him on the pitch. Unfortunately, not even good enough to be a top half PL squad backup backup.

Bit of a tricky one, if he has a significant amount of time left on his contract, as I doubt any PL club would be interested in matching what we're paying him.

Loan away with wage contribution?

4 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Loan to Norwich with a £5m obligation to buy if they’re promoted. Everyone’s a winner.

Well, except for Norwich.

This would be extremely sensible 

1 hour ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Loan to Norwich with a £5m obligation to buy if they’re promoted. Everyone’s a winner.

Well, except for Norwich.

£5m nothing for a player who's still relatively young. They'll get their money's worth.

Not going to dwell on a negative after that incredible team performance but I just don’t know why he didn’t keep running when it was 2 v 1, he has the pace to have slid Fraser in close to goal

Love the way he was buzzin about Miggy’s performance when he came on for him. 

The spirit among this this lot is so nice to see and Murphy seems like a top lad

Edited by Holmesy

15 hours ago, Menace said:

He's championship tier and needs moving on, similar with Almiron

Couple of months ago I would've agreed with you re Almiron, but his recent improvement makes his a useful squad player for next year for me. 

I've never seen a player so consistently do really well to get the ball into a great position, be it winning the ball back, beating a man, or positionally be in the correct position, to then always, without fail, fluff the final ball. It's honestly admiral at this point :lol: 

His pace is a great asset, coming on against tired legs, but he just doesn't have the composure to make it at the top level, unfortunately. I don't doubt he has talent, but I don't know how you can coach mental strength or self confidence. You either have it, or you don't.