Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

3 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Off the top of me head he was a one-on-one away from winning it at Watford and could've put Cambridge to bed on his own. Couldn't finish if his life depended on it.

There's this weird belief on here he's "got a decent shot on him" which he simply hasn't. As I say, I won't fault him in effort, but where want to be? Nah. Taraa.

He scores Vs Man United, Leeds, and Brighton instead of hitting the post and the rhetoric around him is completely different. My one and only point is that if that's the margin, I'd hope Howe can bridge the gap to him being very good back up for the rest of this season

Almost a quality player but the just not convinced he has the extra in him consistently. I would rather play Miggy there to be honest. Upgrades needed at RW in the summer for sure.

If the squad is to move up a level the likes of Murphy/Longstaff probably need selling off and everyone pushing down with the likes of Fraser and Shelvey replacing them on the bench with better players coming in to start.

5 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

In general I've always found NO opinion on him to be very harsh, especially if you compare it to what the other backup in Almiron tends to get. 

Almiron gets absolutely battered on here, more so than Murphy imo.

4 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

In general I've always found NO opinion on him to be very harsh, especially if you compare it to what the other backup in Almiron tends to get. 

Almiron hasn’t really ever played in his correct position for a number of games in living memory, so it’s hard to say. 

7 hours ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

There's nowt about him. He's not taking on and beating his man, he's not putting in decent crosses and he's not finishing anything that comes his way. The bin is his home.

I don't think there's any need for this kind of attitude, even if he's not up to it. There's a good feeling around the cub, we don't need the sourness, it feels totally small time.

I think he's pretty shit, personally. He's got a bit of pace, and that's about it. I just don't think he believes in himself anywhere near enough to be a consistently competent PL standard winger. We need to move on from the likes of him, Lewis, Kraft etc as soon as possible.

Bit of a shame really as he seems to genuinely give a shit about the club and always looks overjoyed when we win, whether he's played a part or not.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

16 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

He's going to end up at WBA under Bruce in the summer with the likes of Gayle & Clark.

Hopefully Ritchie, Krafth, Darlow and Longstaff too. 

Eesh. I think Murphy has improved a bit over the years but thought yesterday was a pretty timely reminder of why we were so gasping for additional attackers in January.

I'm not one for saying we must sell this player and that player, cos total upheaval can be a sketchy approach and we will still need a squad going forward - but I think our attacking department simply has to have an overhaul. Murphy, Almiron and Wood aren't effective - with Wood only featuring because there's no one else. ASM and Wilson are both limited by their fitness issues, the latter basically a liability at this stage. Joelinton and Ritchie were once players with the responsibility of goals/assists but that's no longer the case for either for different reasons. Gayle is dead weight. 

Fraser has clearly got his mojo back and you'd expect him to continue featuring for as long as Howe is here.

I hope Murphy moves on in the summer and gets himself a good move, ideally to somewhere that he's a guaranteed starter. Maybe he could go back to Norwich and enjoy cruising to the Championship title next season. 

On 05/03/2022 at 22:21, TRon said:

Those little dinks over the keeper are actually the mark of someone who knows how to finish. I think Howe sees a player in there, same as Rafa did. Reminds me a lot of when we had James Milner here, and he got slated for always being a nearly man. Murphy's not that different, he's got everything in the locker to be an amazing player, but never quite seems to produce when it matters. But look what happened to Milner oncehe left and the expectation was off him. I think at worst Murphy will be a good squad player, I can see us keeping him on tbh.

Comparisons with Milner? :lol:

He was about 22 when he left, Murphy is 27 right now. :lol:

10 hours ago, Slim said:

Unforgiveable that, that's where he lets himself down his decision making at times is baffling.  There was a point on saturday where he lost the ball jogged back daydreaming and their leftback was just left with acres. Scares me to death him and Krath on that side.

I have nothing against Murphy.  He seems like a honest, hard working lad.  Unfortunately he has never really been developed or managed in his time here.  Howe might get more out of him but assuming we stay up next season, he might be kept on as squad player but nothing more.   I suspect, he will be one of a few that move on. 

Edited by Dan Gleebals