Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Why are wingers singled out in particular? You can say any player in any position needs to be playing consistently.

My point is that with world class coaching they aren’t getting much better if at all even on the basics.

Atsu and Perez......FFS look up and play the simple quick pass at times rather than running up you’re arse.

Guest Howaythetoon

Why are wingers singled out in particular? You can say any player in any position needs to be playing consistently.

My point is that with world class coaching they aren’t getting much better if at all even on the basics.

Atsu and Perez......FFS look up and play the simple quick pass at times rather than running up you’re arse.

They play in a position where in the modern game they are meant to defend and attack, but because of their position they rarely get to see enough of the ball to do anything with it or that the modern game demands they spend more time getting back. Especially here. Atsu is an average winger, but he’s a good player for us at the moment or can be, same with Murphy, but either stick with the, or look for something else because expecting them to do what we would all like to see them do just isn’t going to happen when they are in out of the side, same with strikers.

Atsu either has a blinder or is f***ing terrible on a single given day :lol:

Again, especially with wingers or wide men, they need to be in the starting 11 week in week out to show any kind of consistency and even then due to their position such players unless the very elite will frustrate and be inconsistent to a degree. Same applies to Murphy. If he starts at the weekend and has a mare...? Who would or what would be at fault?

Honestly, after that Stoke away match, and something I've been repeating over and over - Atsu behind Ayoze, Murphy and Ritchie (now Kenedy) out wide.

Guest Howaythetoon

Atsu either has a blinder or is f***ing terrible on a single given day :lol:

Again, especially with wingers or wide men, they need to be in the starting 11 week in week out to show any kind of consistency and even then due to their position such players unless the very elite will frustrate and be inconsistent to a degree. Same applies to Murphy. If he starts at the weekend and has a mare...? Who would or what would be at fault?

Honestly, after that Stoke away match, and something I've been repeating over and over - Atsu behind Ayoze, Murphy and Ritchie (now Kenedy) out wide.

Kind of agree, with added Slimani.

• 3 weeks later...

It is really weird tbh. When Murphy looked hopeless at the start of the season Rafa kept giving him chances which worked and then he was doing quite well and suddenly doesn't play anymore. Must be something in training/personal

• 1 month later...

One thing that's got me confused is the freezing out of this kid. He looked like he was finally becoming a Premier League player, after publicly stating he's enjoying getting starts and game time, and just when he scores and puts in great performances, he's dropped, we sign Kenedy, and now he's nowhere to be seen. Either something's going on in training, or maybe Rafa thinks he's just not ready. I actually prefer him to Atsu (opposite wings, I know, but still).

Think you've solved it before the end of your post. Kenedy, Ritchie and Atsu are probably all better and we've been in good form so haven't changed the team. No room for Murphy who, whilst he's improved, isn't ready.

I agree.

I think this lad is part of Rafas plans for the future and expect to see him given some more time once Rafa is happy we are 100% safe and secure, and definitely next season as an important first squad player. with the obvious provisos that a) we keep rafa and b) can get sold by MA

He is still getting used to this league and has improved a lot after quite a bad start, but now with some experince under his belt and age on his side, He can slowly work on his game with no rush, and hopefully become a good asset for us.

Guest Howaythetoon

Kind of disappointed he hasn’t seen more game time as I think he has talent and would be our best bet down the right, but Ritchie who I wanted dropped for Murphy has been superb lately so cannot be dropped really. I’d send him out on loan next season if we can to develop his game further.

He'll be fine. Rafa doesn't need to use him, so he isn't being used. Maybe he'll get more minutes when we're safe, but I think for the most part he's just going to have to bide his time and look to push on next season. I certainly don't think Rafa is planning to shift him.

We have a decent selection of wingers all of a sudden. Gone are the days of Shola on the right or Gouffran on the left. Rafa's revolutionary idea of playing wingers in wide areas seems to be paying off - players that can actually take someone on, cross or dribble.  Would like to see more of Murphy before the end of the season.

Guest Howaythetoon

What we now have wide is pace, energy and ball carrying skills, but we do need a proper CF to finish off any chances created from the flanks.

He'll be fine. Rafa doesn't need to use him, so he isn't being used. Maybe he'll get more minutes when we're safe, but I think for the most part he's just going to have to bide his time and look to push on next season. I certainly don't think Rafa is planning to shift him.

I think this is the crux of it. I expect to see him a lot more next season.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rafa wanted to ease him in while he beds in up north too. Murphy's not made a secret of how it was quite tough to begin with being away from family irrc, has he?

Next season will be make or break for him at the club. I think Rafa always intended for his first choice paring to be Ritchie and Atsu, with the youngsters Murphy and Aarons backing them up. Kenedy has come in and replaced Atsu, Atsu has the role of a dynamic option off the bench so at the moment there is no role for Murphy. Think we will bring in another winger next year, not certain it will be Kenedy, also think Atsu and Aarons will be shopped. Next season he has to push Ritchie for that starting spot otherwise he too could be out of the door soon.

Next season will be make or break for him at the club. I think Rafa always intended for his first choice paring to be Ritchie and Atsu, with the youngsters Murphy and Aarons backing them up. Kenedy has come in and replaced Atsu, Atsu has the role of a dynamic option off the bench so at the moment there is no role for Murphy. Think we will bring in another winger next year, not certain it will be Kenedy, also think Atsu and Aarons will be shopped. Next season he has to push Ritchie for that starting spot otherwise he too could be out of the door soon.

He's only just signed! :lol:

Is it luck ? Rafa seems to have a good record through out his career of keeping players fit

Not on the training ground no, but there's always a bit of luck during matches. To get as little as we have during games might not stick. Or someone might break something in a challenge. If we only have 3 we'd then have no bench option, or option if someone's out of form. (Although we mostly seem to persist despite form anyway.)