Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

He's quite clearly not a dud.

He's possesses good pace and technique, uses both feet comfortably whilst having the ability to take on a man and cross. The fact he has the courage to shoot, particularly from range is a credit to him, considering the stick he gets. What he lacks however is game time and confidence. I'd be more than happy to start him somewhere across the 3 attacking midfield spots for the remaining 3 games.

Jacob Murphy | Skills & Goals 17/18 on YouTube is canny for a glimpse of his potential none shittery.

He's possesses good pace and technique, uses both feet comfortably whilst having the ability to take on a man and cross. The fact he has the courage to shoot, particularly from range is a credit to him, considering the stick he gets. What he lacks however is game time and confidence. I'd be more than happy to start him somewhere across the 3 attacking midfield spots for the remaining 3 games.

Jacob Murphy | Skills & Goals 17/18 on YouTube is canny for a glimpse of his potential none shittery.

wow - impressive. He should start the 3 remaining games.

Maybe him and Kenedy (another loan) on the flanks next season? Ritchie and Atsu as backup.

Fucking hell he looks excellent in that video :lol: I do rate him, I hope he gets more game time too.

He's very raw, but he's definitely a talent. I don't think he can play in and out of the team though. He needs a significant run and I'm not sure Rafa will give it him

I agree with this... but I think Rafa will give it to him long term. I reckon he'll be a mainstay by early 2019. If he has the patience/commitment to play by Rafa's rules.

:thup: I think so. Sounds like he's going to make a few changes going into the next game. And Atsu is injured. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts and we get Kenedy at LB again. Or Kenedy gets dropped because we're never going to sign him so :wave:

He's very raw, but he's definitely a talent. I don't think he can play in and out of the team though. He needs a significant run and I'm not sure Rafa will give it him

He has that Hatem Ben Arfa way about him when he's full pace running through the center of the pitch with ball at his feet; like early raw Hatem.

I mean, as much as we want to see Murphy play - Ritchie has been pretty fucking outstanding in our run that saved us this season so all good...and Kenedy was on the other side of the pitch lighting it up as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Much better today but he needs to raise his game next season. he needs to learn how to do more damage going forward.

Will come with more games and confidence I reckon.

As long as he gets his head down and listens to Rafa really think he can be a success here.

My biggest worries are if his confidence becomes totally shot and the crowd get on him, or he gets so frustrated with lack of first team starts he goes off the rails with outside distractions.

Saying that, doesn’t strike me as the sort of character for the latter so fingers crossed after a solid pre-season he’s pushing hard to be involved.

• 1 month later...
Guest Howaythetoon

The key to overcoming low confidence which every single human being suffers from at some point, some more than overs and obviously to different degrees, is to keep working hard and putting your all in. Even the most confident of people can suffer a confidence crisis, but they usually inner channel it and become even more confident. He’s in a good environment in that regard IMO.

But he needs to play to truly develop. He has shown bits and pieces, but hasn’t justified a regular starting slot, but then he hasn’t had enough game time to stamp his claim. This is where Rafa comes in and how he sees things.

Me, I was critical of Ritchie during the first half of the season and wnated Murphy to start in his place, but Ritchie delivered second half of the season and become almost undroppable. It’s about development though, I see more Arrows  to Murphy’s Bow if you like than Ritchie’s and would put him in there and give him a run in the team, at some point you have to start trusting a player, showing confidence in them and enabling them to produce.

Talk of Townsend would be counter productive to the development of Murphy who I see has having similar attributes, but more to give, learn and develop so I do hope we don’t try and bring him back and unless we sign a top player in that position, I’d like to see us start with Murphy next season and say here’s your chance go and grab it.