Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Guest Howaythetoon

I keep banging this drum, but as a winger or wide man, in order to gain a level of consistency they have to play regularly and be allowed some degree of freedom going forward.

I know last season he and Atsu took a bit of stick for not turning it on or performing at certain points or during certain games, but it’s almost impossible in that position if you aren’t playing regularly regardless of how good you are.

I rate him though, he has potential, he carries the ball well and seems confident in his ability, although I don’t think Rafa shares that confidence once berating him for trying to dribble out of our box and giving possession away.

I don’t want that knocked out of him or any player, but with experience they will learn when and where to take risks which should always be in the final 3rd.

He needs to play and again unless we get a top player in to play there, I’d start him and stick with him. It’s ultimately up to him mind when he gets a chance to prove himself as that’s what top players do.

I keep banging this drum, but as a winger or wide man, in order to gain a level of consistency they have to play regularly and be allowed some degree of freedom going forward.

I know last season he and Atsu took a bit of stick for not turning it on or performing at certain points or during certain games, but it’s almost impossible in that position if you aren’t playing regularly regardless of how good you are.

This is a massive problem not only for him but many players. Hardly any managers looked to their youths last season, Manchester United do still continue this method and im guessing but I think they feilded the most or gave the most minutes in the league.

Its a problem and its down to rich clubs swallowing up tons of talent and sending them out on loan over and over again. Chelsea one of the worst with over 30 players loaned. Its great if top clubs have players that are beneficial to clubs like us ie Kenedy, but that then gives their asset time on the feild and in our case not our asset Murphy.

I think clubs should be forced to field a number of academy players or give a certain amount of minutes to players. Or it will just continue and halt good young prospects potential over time.

He’s got real talent; hope he gets a good run pre-season as he’s got more going for him imo than either Ritchie or Atsu. It’s all there and in Rafa he has someone who can hopefully let it come through.

• 1 month later...

Was watching one of the training vids on Facebook earlier and the guy still looks absolutely tiny. Short, skinny, barely an ounce of fat on him. Fail to see how he's ever going to be any real use when he's so physically out of everyone else's league.

Guest covmag

said before his brother looks way better, the kid needs to step up but never seems to grab his chance.

not one of Rafas better buys in truth( on what we have seen), wonder if the kid could play a number 10 role? just putting it out there?

said before his brother looks way better, the kid needs to step up but never seems to grab his chance.

not one of Rafas better buys in truth( on what we have seen), wonder if the kid could play a number 10 role? just putting it out there?

exceedingly harsh judgement on the lad imo

Right wing is his for the taking if he impresses.

I was quite excited at the prospect of swapping Ritchie for Townsend before that fizzled out, Ritchie's a good team man, but his lack of pace really restricts us. Murphy has all the tools, but he needs to be a lot more dynamic this season. He looked like a fish out of water last season, despite having the tools to make a much bigger impact potentially.

Guest firetotheworks

When are people going to realise that looking good in the Championship means very little if you're a premier league club? [emoji38] Have the likes of Gayle not made that really clear?

He showed in that month-or-so spell last season that he can perform well in the division, he just needed a run of games.

is the right answer

Hope so, though I still need some convincing. He needs to be far more confident in his ability to attack teams, but he's got the ability, just needs to put some devil in his game. Same goes for Atsu really, these lads aren't really giving us enough out wide considering they are both quick and have an eye for goal.