Mikel Merino

Disco

Surprised so few have mentioned (JP did above) that he was everywhere yesterday, Kanté style. Wherever the ball was, he was close. Didn't matter if it was in attack or in our own half. You could always see the number 23 shirt. He ran way more than anyone on the pitch, was up at 10.5 km with more then 10 min left of the game. In the last 10 min, when they kicked the ball away he was first one to get down to help Elliot and Clark to get back up again. Seconds later he was helping our attack. He did a few mistakes during the game, but you can clealry see we have a class player at hand if he continue to work the way he did yesterday.

Agree with this, he was all over the place.

Despite getting caught in possession a couple of times late on.  He really came into the game the last half hour or so.  I thought it was a promising performance after a nervy and TBF, pretty poor start. 

I was surprised to read he was getting slated and that Souness was calling him shite.  Not surprised, mind.  That dour cunt is the most miserable, negative pundit in the game and to top it off, he hates us.  Pisses me off he is always on for our games.   

Agree with this. After we conceded, he seemed to wake up and started bossing the whole park. He was everywhere, breaking up play and spraying passes all over the pitch. I see a ton of promise in this lad, along with some concerns, but he's still young and learning. Already light years beyond Colback.

? He seemed composed on the ball and despite the tenacity of the Huddersfield players he didn't panic and spread the ball about well. If you're going to bash him I reckon you'll need a better stick to do the job with.

Needs to pick up the pace of the game and not dwell on the ball this week. Bilic will have him targeted.

He's really good on the ball and moves it well, excellent first touch. He got caught out once last week when he tripped over the ball, otherwise he was fine in this regard.

OK, I can see Merino's undoubted quality but, for me, he was caught out by how quickly he was closed down last week and, on several occassions, he put himself needlessly under pressure by not moving the ball quickly enough.

No doubt he'll learn, but he's got to learn quickly. No easy task for the lad and that's why Bilic will have him targeted.

OK, I can see Merino's undoubted quality but, for me, he was caught out by how quickly he was closed down last week and, on several occassions, he put himself needlessly under pressure by not moving the ball quickly enough.

No doubt he'll learn, but he's got to learn quickly. No easy task for the lad and that's why Bilic will have him targeted.

It happened once.

i dont think that he is helped by how we are set up to contain teams. We sit too deep and often when we get the ball  there are no options for the player on it. Ritchie and perez come short too much. Gayle hides (for me)

id like to see him with atsu and aarons wide who will stretch teams. Plus a player at number 10 who will run past the cf. Which rules ritchie out!