Newcastle United 3 - 0 West Ham United - 26/08/17 (post match reaction from p22)

Greg

I'm pleasantly surprised by how good we sounded today, as I had us down for a 3-0 loss. Glad to see Joselu hit the ground running as well. Hopefully he can keep it going because we're gonna need some consistency up front and I don't think Gayle will provide it in all honesty.

Guest firetotheworks

Ahhhh, winning matches. :smitten:

There are probably repurcussions from us beating West Ham specifically in that way [emoji38] but for now I just want to bask in the warmth of a good win. Well organised, hard working and at times some good football. Stand outs were Ritchie and Merino, but no one was below a 6 or 7 really. Mbemba got skinned a couple of times, but I thought his on the ball play was very impressive and made up for it. A happy day and I'll take all of those I can get.

Guest firetotheworks

Same team to start in a fortnight?

Ahhhh FUCKING international break. :anguish:

:thup: Wish they'd fuck off. It's the one thing Harry Redknapp has absolutely spot on.

I don't think anyone had a bad game, Elliotts kicking was suspect but other then that every worked there asses off. Our front 6 were all class and just grafted when not is possession. :love:

Just an outsiders view of today's game. Full disclosure: this is the first Newcastle game I have watched in ages.

Merino is a typical Rafa nifty pickup. You won't have to worry about midfield. Barring injuries - Rafa will build a very decent PL midfield with the Shelvey, Hayden, Merino axis.

Perez is such an enigma. Outside of pace, he has everything to be a top class number 10 player. Easily in the top 5% (maybe even 1%) in the PL in terms of ball skills and control in tight spaces. But somehow is not able to put everything together.

Ritchie feels like your Gerrard. I know it is an odd thing to say when you win 3-0 but I was slightly disappointed with your attack. Ritchie seems to be the only one who takes responsibility time after time and has this drive to make things happen every time you attack. Loved his mentality overall.

Today's game highlighted the difference between a great manager and an average one. In terms of overall quality, West Ham's squad are two orders of magnitude better than yours - full of solid premier league players sprinkled with internationals. Today's win was all about Rafa and his tactics. He owned Bilic.

If today's game doesn't convince Ashley, nothing will. Rafa is not perfect but support him in the next few days and he is going to guarantee you a top 8-12 team by the end of the year. You can then build off that base.

Today's game highlighted the difference between a great manager and an average one. In terms of overall quality, West Ham's squad are two orders of magnitude better than yours - full of solid premier league players sprinkled with internationals. Today's win was all about Rafa and his tactics. He owned Bilic.

While i agree on paper they are better, i really don't think they are that good tbh. Team is full of individuals which make no sense from a team perspective and most of them have an inflated ego where they think they are better than they are.

They'd struggle even with Rafa IMO, mind Rafa wouldn't buy most of the players they have signed.