Other clubs' transfers

Greg

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Feels like this transfer window could be the start of a new "Era" in the Premier League, post COVID everyone starting to spend again, there is so much business going on from pretty much all clubs, that the landscape of the league come the start of the season will be completely different to that at the start. Can't remember a window quite like this one. 

It's dreadful though, just making it harder and harder to compete for clubs that aren't super rich. Kinda nice to be on the side of the can afford to keep up for once lol but it's dreadful for the sport

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I totally forgot about Bissouma. Good signing.

I'm still in the mindset that a £50m player should be a star player for Spurs or at least guaranteed starter. But if you've got £50m for a back-up forward - then cool. As you say - you're linked with players in the right positions anyway so it looks like you will continue to invest…

I think this is what’s changed now, in general I mean. I had a quick look at Chelsea’s forwards on Wiki last year - Lukaku 98M, Pulisic 58M, Werner 48M, Ziyech 37M, Havertz 72M. All signed over the last couple of years. Arguably all have been…not great…and you could even say none have been guaranteed starters. That’s a bit of an extreme example, but it does feel like if you want to challenge at that level then that’s the going rate for a rotational forward. It’s nuts, but here we are I guess.

13 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

5 sub rule will destroy this league.

Will destroy the teams long-term who have less money. They're already contending with getting fewer decisions, have much weaker squads and are becoming poorer year-by-year in comparison with the richest clubs. 

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Will destroy the teams long-term who have less money. They're already contending with getting fewer decisions, have much weaker squads and are becoming poorer year-by-year in comparison with the richest clubs. 

Gerrin.

14 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

I think this is what’s changed now, in general I mean. I had a quick look at Chelsea’s forwards on Wiki last year - Lukaku 98M, Pulisic 58M, Werner 48M, Ziyech 37M, Havertz 72M. All signed over the last couple of years. Arguably all have been…not great…and you could even say none have been guaranteed starters. That’s a bit of an extreme example, but it does feel like if you want to challenge at that level then that’s the going rate for a rotational forward. It’s nuts, but here we are I guess.

Have a feeling this will be Havertz’s breakthrough season although I said the same last summer. :lol: Just too good to fail.

19 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Agreed. Lukaku, Havertz I think we’re signed as Crown Jewels but Werner and Ziyech - yes definitely. 

Liverpool have brought in Jota and Diaz for squad depth at least initially. 

The famous Pep roulette. 

looks like Spurs want to be at that level rather than the Arsenal + 2 of the last few years.  

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Wonder if Bergwijn would be available. Think he’d be a good fit for us.

I've argued his case before on here. For my money Spurs are bonkers to let Bergwijn go for pennies (available for <20m if reports are to be believed) and bring in Richarlison for 50m. We should be in there in a flash.

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

I've argued his case before on here. For my money Spurs are bonkers to let Bergwijn go for pennies (available for <20m if reports are to be believed) and bring in Richarlison for 50m. We should be in there in a flash.

He always looks good when I watch him, but that's not often tbf. I get the feeling he's not a consistent performer, can be the only reason why Spurs are prepared to sell. He looks like a right sided striker from what I've seen, maybe his assists stats aren't so great?

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Bergwijn is Brighton quality.  

I'd hazard a guess I've seen more from him than you have. On the right side of a front three he's easily a CL level player. He's also the right age, available relatively cheaply and has his head screwed on right. Someone is getting a bargain this summer.

23 minutes ago, Kanji said:

The "not great" performers who somehow won a CL in 2021. 

That’s kinda my point though - of all that money spent, they weren’t the star performers in the team. They were just good enough (well, Havertz and Werner - Mount was the third starting forward in the final) to get the job done in a CL win that was very much a squad achievement. Which of those players would you consider “great”?

Just now, Unbelievable said:

I'd hazard a guess I've seen more from him than you have. On the right side of a front three he's easily a CL level player. He's also the right age, available relatively cheaply and has his head screwed on right. Someone is getting a bargain this summer.

I’ve seen enough of him in the PL to know he’s Brighton quality. He’ll not be a regular in a PL side consistently qualifying for CL. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’ve seen enough of him in the PL to know he’s Brighton quality. He’ll not be a regular in a PL side consistently qualifying for CL. 

One of Holland's best attacking players is "Brighton quality". Thanks, tells me all I need to know about a lot of your other football related opinions :lol:

10 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

One of Holland's best attacking players is "Brighton quality". Thanks, tells me all I need to know about a lot of your other football related opinions :lol:

Based on his performances for Spurs he’s actually right. It does seem that you rate him highly, and maybe a change of scenery would do him well. But there’s a reason as to why Spurs are being rumoured to offload him for ”pennies”. 

10 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Mitrovic is great for Serbia. International football is a different kettle of fish.  

For Spurs. He’s not shown this quality you speak of. As an avid FPL player I’ve watched a lot of spurs over the last few years. The lad has not been good.  He has not performed. He’ll be sold and not missed for a reason. 

14 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

That’s kinda my point though - of all that money spent, they weren’t the star performers in the team. They were just good enough (well, Havertz and Werner - Mount was the third starting forward in the final) to get the job done in a CL win that was very much a squad achievement. Which of those players would you consider “great”?

Thing Giroud had more goals in open play than those you listed combined in that campaign. 

You're right though, they barely conceded a goal in Europe once Tuchel took over. They are hard to beat in cup competitions with their system and setup. Missed a load of chances against Liverpool in both finals this season and even against Madrid. They'll just throw another 100+m on their attack this summer and try again. 

5 minutes ago, Flip said:

Based on his performances for Spurs he’s actually right. It does seem that you rate him highly, and maybe a change of scenery would do him well. But there’s a reason as to why Spurs are being rumoured to offload him for ”pennies”. 

I suspect the presence of Kane and Son, both world class and undisputed starters, might have something to do with that.

As for his performance level at Spurs, he's never really been given a proper chance there, has he? I mean, of his 25 appearances this year 21 were as a substitute and many not even for 10 minutes in a season with plenty of management upheaval. I don't think those are particularly fair conditions to judge him on.

Conte is sort of like Mourinho in that he can just put a title winning side together very quickly.

I’m fully expecting them to overtake Liverpool this season, perhaps not City but they’ll be close.. and if they do have a slightly off season, they could do it, pains me to say..

They've bought very well.

7 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I suspect the presence of Kane and Son, both world class and undisputed starters, might have something to do with that.

As for his performance level at Spurs, he's never really been given a proper chance there, has he? I mean, of his 25 appearances this year 21 were as a substitute and many not even for 10 minutes in a season with plenty of management upheaval. I don't think those are particularly fair conditions to judge him on.

I understand that, but if he had been great in training he'd have started more no? He's had three managers at Spurs who felt he isn't good enough to be a mainstay in the team. I would more than willing take a punt on him, but I don't think College Dropout was that out of line based on his PL performances up until now.

I thought Chelsea would win the league last season and they were rubbish so I feel I can't back them again, but yes anything short of competing for the league would be underperformance. They do need to sort out their defense.