Other clubs' transfers

Greg

20 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

They want Almiron but he won't go. Same with Wilson I think

Soft suites, go and earn your pension for a season then head off to finish your career at your chosen club.

Just now, relámpago blanco said:

Exactly should sign me and then sell me to one of the clubs.

Never thought of that, yeh sign me for the lasses team, fair dos I'm a 49 year old fat bloke, but I'd make a great 3rd choice keeper with tits to spare, I'd go down a treat in Saudi. 

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Fucking hell. Really?

Rising to £14m with add ons, depending on how he performs, which was left out. :lol:

It's a good deal given where his career was. He was destined to leave for free. 

£7m in dead wages off the books as well. 

Edited by Froggy

4 hours ago, Froggy said:

Rising to £14m with add ons, depending on how he performs, which was left out. :lol:

£400k rising to £14 million !! What's the add ons? Becoming president of the USA, winning the euro vision song contest, conquering Everest and then building a Wallace and Gromit rocket and flying to the moon.

7 hours ago, Froggy said:

IMG_5867.thumb.jpeg.a83dc7e8118300f937569bd587049e9c.jpeg

“It’s a great deal”.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Leicester close to getting Soule according to the Italian media.

You think we must have someone else in mind if we’re not pushing for him. He’s been a well documented scouting target for a while.

Always find it a bit sad when a smaller team has an exceptional season and then their talent gets picked off almost immediately. 

Like Bologna losing their manager and one of their best players to Juve and Man Utd respectively 

Other examples I can think of are Monaco and Ajax when they did really well in the CL. Leicester and Southampton to a lesser extent.  And it looks like it's happening to Girona now too

Obviously it's the nature of business and it's been happening for a long time but it ruins any sort of romanticism for the fans. 

Like imagine being a Bologna fan having their best season for ages and then spend the summer losing their manager and top player. Just think it's a bit shit :lol:

Diaby has been canny for Villa hasn't he? Weird how they're shifting so many first teamers after qualifying for the CL. Feel like they're going to drop a lot on one or two superstars shortly.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

8 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

They want Almiron but he won't go. Same with Wilson I think

Not even sure they still want Almiron tbh, that's all gone a bit quiet. If it was that club Gerrard manages, I thought I read that they were looking elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Diaby has been canny for Villa hasn't he? Weird how they're shifting so many first teamers after qualifying for the CL. Feel like they're going to drop a lot on one or two superstars shortly.

For a large period he was barely playing and wasn't doing very much. 

Source: had him in my fantasy team. 

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

For a large period he was barely playing and wasn't doing very much. 

Source: had him in my fantasy team. 

6 goals and 8 assists is canny if he wasn't playing that much! I just remember the annoyance that he went to Villa when we were seemingly in the running for him.

15 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Was ok.

Lost his place in the team for periods to Bailey.

It's taken Bailey 2-3 years to really show his ability in the PL and I suspect it may take Diaby the same time.

Diaby had interest from Saudi last season but chose Villa. Vila's PSR issues mean they have to make tough decisions. £50m would put them in a amortisation profit but not significantly so. Probably another 6-8m on wages too though.

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Wasn’t he 40/45 million who was considered a flop in his first season ?

Bailey? Think he was less. Think he missed a lot through injury. Was better the next season but not incredibly so which was why they signed Diaby. Then really kicked on last season.

Bailey, Diaby etc. all clearly talented footballers but sometimes things don't gel together for a player, or takes a little time or is a bad fit.

Diaby is clearly a very talented player but I think the reason why we didn't pursue him - other than the cost - was there were question marks about his work rate. Very good going forward, not so good tracking back. That might be one of the reasons he wasn't starting regularly.  

34 minutes ago, TRon said:

Diaby is clearly a very talented player but I think the reason why we didn't pursue him - other than the cost - was there were question marks about his work rate. Very good going forward, not so good tracking back. That might be one of the reasons he wasn't starting regularly.  

Didn't really produce going forward either.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

I actually thought Donny was in the final year of his contract and was going to leave for free in the summer. :lol:

So aye, happy with the deal. He'd have left for free previously. 

That transfer has probably cost like £56m and he has been totally ruined, appeared 35 times in 4 years in the prem and is a shell.

Not sure how anyone can be happy with that deal. 

17 minutes ago, TaylorJ_01 said:

That transfer has probably cost like £56m and he has been totally ruined, appeared 35 times in 4 years in the prem and is a shell.

Not sure how anyone can be happy with that deal. 

You're missing the point, and once again using hindsight as a means to an end.

Had we signed him and played him and then a year later sold him for 500k, then aye fair enough. But as you said, he's been ruined, is a shell, and is just dead space on the squad and in wages. He was out on loan with options to buy and we had no takers. Was fully expected that he would leave the club for free once his contract ran out. 

Now we've got a guaranteed half million up front, 4/5m in add ons which Romano suggests are easily achievable and will be paid barring injury, and a further 9/10m on top of that if he actually rediscovers his form from 19/20 and plays well. 

He didn't exist to us anymore. Just £7m a year disappearing down the wage hole. Fairly baffling how people can't see how we'd be happy with it to be honest. I can't believe we got a fee at all. 

Edited by Froggy

I am just amazed that they can take such a talent and reduce it to £400k when he's still 27. It's an awful, awful result.

Sure, regaining some cash is better than not getting any at all, but it literally pays Rashford for 1 week, it's effectively zero in today's world of football. The add-ons aren't guaranteed and, with Girona's links to Man City, I'm fairly sure they'll wriggle their way out of most if not all of the add-ons.

If he has a decent season at Girona, Man Utd buying him back for £30m would be so on brand.

Edited by TaylorJ_01

2 hours ago, Froggy said:

I actually thought Donny was in the final year of his contract and was going to leave for free in the summer. :lol:

So aye, happy with the deal. He'd have left for free previously. 

So what exactly was the deal with this guy?

Because it seems he was never really given a fair go, right from the outset.

Completely destroyed the guy's confidence and career man. My God.

11 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Weren't we linked with him during the first post-takeover window?

Yeah, we wanted him, and he chose to go to Everton I believe, due to how precarious our position looked at the time.

Massive disaster of a decision for him. Remembering how good he was at Ajax, I think Howe could have really been good for him, and he would have suited one of the number 8 positions in our setup.

Really strange how a number of players from that Ajax team didn't really push on. I was convinced Dolberg was going to the very top as a striker. And even De Jong has lost his way a bit.