Other clubs' transfers

Greg

I don't think there's any guarantee that those signings fail. Maguire has obviously more than had it at Man Utd but there was once an excellent defender there; an old school no-nonsense marauding CB. It's clear as day that he needs a fresh start. 

Jury's out on McTominay but he's not the comedy signing the early-summer discourse on here would have you believe. You don't get to over 200 appearances for ManU / 40 caps for Scotland in the early stages of your career if you've not got something about you. 

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't think there's any guarantee that those signings fail. Maguire has obviously more than had it at Man Utd but there was once an excellent defender there; an old school no-nonsense marauding CB. It's clear as day that he needs a fresh start. 

Jury's out on McTominay but he's not the comedy signing the early-summer discourse on here would have you believe. You don't get to over 200 appearances for ManU / 40 caps for Scotland in the early stages of your career if you've not got something about you. 

They're more than adequate for Moyes led West Ham. Prices will be insane though.

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I agree, I think most of the names linked to West Ham would greatly improve them.

I think McTominay is a good player and his profile is actually one that I think Newcastle still need in midfield if our squad get stretched by injuries etc.

The obvious issue is the inflated fees which West Ham are inevitably going to have to pay.

They will have more money once Scamacca is sold as well. 

McTominay and Maguire are the tier of signing you make as a club that accepts you have no ambition. They might be able to contribute to some middling finishes for a few years but they’ll command big fees and big salaries without contributing that standard on the pitch. I’d be absolutely gutted as a fan if those were our targets 

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Exactly. You always have to look at the type of signings that typically work for a manager.

Maguire will be in a team that sits deeper rather than plays with a high line and will be asked to keep it simpler playing out from the back. He's also a major set piece threat, which Moyes focuses on.

McTominay is a typical big athletic Moyes midfielder that he gets a lot out of like Fellaini and Soucek have been for him.

I'd have been happier if they forced continental players on him again that he doesn't know what to do with tbh, as that's when things go badly for him.

Moyes was getting 4th at Everton when he was just allowed to sign the types of players he wanted.

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

McTominay and Maguire are the tier of signing you make as a club that accepts you have no ambition. They might be able to contribute to some middling finishes for a few years but they’ll command big fees and big salaries without contributing that standard on the pitch. I’d be absolutely gutted as a fan if those were our targets 

I don't think this is necessarily true. 

You have to know who your manager is and what works for them. 

21 minutes ago, Rich said:

Wish they'd used N-O.

If this is true fucking hell, they are is under Ashley clearly no scouts or any data analysis going on, no wonder they almost went down. 

In absolutely floored by this :lol:

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Indeed.

The only reason West Ham are signing them is Everton are skint.

2 hours ago, brummie said:

Win things. Sawiris of the two has become the most involved day to day (based in London, whereas Edens is US based) and is not an acceptor of crud (sacked Carpethead on the spot after Fulham last year, sacked Purslow, brought in some real heavy hitters behind the scenes.

And of course, grow the value of the club, whilst making it the centre piece of a multi-club portfolio.

These guys bought a distressed asset, we were literally hours away from administration thanks to that fucking chancer Xia (Lerner's final act of derelict stupidity not seeing through that muppet). 

you mentioned u had a season ticket waiting list at villa.

there's so much space around that ground, surprised they've not tried to expand.

4 minutes ago, huss9 said:

there's so much space around that ground, surprised they've not tried to expand.

we r working on the north stand to revamp it

24 minutes ago, huss9 said:

30,000 on it apparently.

They are expanding - demolishing North Stand at end of this season and rebuilding to take capacity to 51,000. Totally refactoring the space behind it and improving the public realm too.

TBF here's not that much space, and where there is space is behind the bits that don't need expanding.

The Witton Lane stand (ie where away fans are) is the next candidate to rebuilt, but it has a problem in that any higher and the houses would suffer light issues, so there would almost certainly have to be some property purchasing there (I would hate for us to act as despicably as Liverpool did when they were in this situation, though).

The Holte has got a bit of space but is already pretty big.

The Trinity Road stand is also big enough, and was rebuilt (in an act of vandalism) in 2000, and backs onto the grounds of a Jacobean stately home in any case, so not sure what the situation would be there.

Aston Villa is having a great window:

Mousa Diaby £47m

Pau Torres £28m

Youri Tielmans free

Liverpool got Alex Mac Allister for a song and then added Szobo so that is quite the improvement in their midfield.  

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. 

You have to know who your manager is and what works for them. 

I’m not even saying they’re shit. I think Maguire is a much better player than he’s credited as. McTominay, I don’t really rate but we obviously did rate him as there was interest and I trust our scouts. I just think they’re deeply unambiguous signings that are not going to help West Ham to improve and for the money they’ll cost they could do so much better. You’re right though that they are perfect Moyesy’s boys 

14 hours ago, FloydianMag said:

I was thinking about all the players who BHA have sold on for significant amounts I struggle to think of one who has been an outstanding success at their new clubs, White, Bissouma, Maupay etc etc. Interesting to see if Caicedo is a success if sold or if Mac Allister does it at Liverpool.

It's a fascinating concept to think about, is it the team as a whole that makes the players shine or are they individually brilliant and able to bring that brilliance with them to a different team? I feel Brighton are an English version of Bodø/Glimt in that the general tactics of the team set-up makes the end result better than each individual part.

When Bodø/Glimt were pulling up trees in Europe I was making the argument to a shitload of people that the players weren't all that, it was the manager and his vision, tactics and overall long-term planning for how the team should set up and how they should play. At the time my baseline was the performance of players at the club vs. playing for Norway. At the club they looked like worldbeaters, but put them in the national side and they looked like sunday league players (exaggerating to make a better example). 

The team was set up to play a certain style all the time and it was coached at all levels within the club, from the academy to the first team. If Player X got the ball in Position Y, then Player Z would know that they had to be at Position Ø because that's where Player X would pass the ball. When they played Rome they were without their supposed three "best" players, and sure, there are of course some differences between the abilities of their starters vs. their backups - such as the backup left back being less pacy than the first choice left back. However, when the game was played, you'd not be able to tell it was the backups playing instead of the starters as there were no more misplaced passes or mistimed runs than in your average Bodø/Glimt match. The players knew what they had to do and when to do it, which in turn made the team nigh  unbeatable for two and a half years until clubs started figuring out how to counter their style and tactics with success. That led to a "poor" last season (by their new standards), but this season they have altered parts of their game plan and now they are running rampant in the league again.

Now, with that success and the  "key" players being young, they all got snatched up by clubs in bigger leagues. They all failed and came crawling back to Bodø/Glimt where they now are shining again and attracting new interest... 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

I’m not even saying they’re shit. I think Maguire is a much better player than he’s credited as. McTominay, I don’t really rate but we obviously did rate him as there was interest and I trust our scouts. I just think they’re deeply unambiguous signings that are not going to help West Ham to improve and for the money they’ll cost they could do so much better. You’re right though that they are perfect Moyesy’s boys 

I hear you. I just think Moyes has already shown that he can challenge for the European spots and even for the top 4 when he has the types of players he likes to work with.

West Ham leadership is rudderless.  If they had proper leadership they could consider moving on from Moyes, keep Paqueta and Scamacca and try and build a more progressive term and manager. 

As it stands they are looking to pay a premium for the likes of Maguire. Who is a good player but no better than what they already have. And once Moyes goes you’re left with a squad that only an inferior PFM can manage. 

I prefer leadership like Brighton where you sign players that can play under progressive managers even if the style is different. You get higher fees when you sell as well. It’s also loads more fun as a fan. 

Looks like Paqueta is actually available if they want a DM, CM and AM. Loan with option to buy please.