Other clubs' transfers

Greg

5 minutes ago, KDT said:

Didn't they have a great transfer window last summer and look to be so much better going forward then we did as well?

I personally didn't like the Scammacca and Paqueta signings for them last summer as I knew they wouldn't do much under Moyes.

And for what it's worth I'm not saying they will be better than us with these signings. They'll just be much better than last year and more difficult to play against.

1 minute ago, Jaqen said:

The context is it's a side that finished on 40 points selling their two best players and replacing them with bang average (at best) players. 

Man, we'll see when the season starts.

You guys are just tied to the narrative Maguire, McTominay and JWP are shit players no matter the circumstances.

I'm pretty confident that will prove to be completely wrong in a Moyes side.

The only reason West Ham did anything of note last season was because they had Rice and Paqueta. In the latter stages of the cup, it was Paqueta standing out as their best player. He found his feet at West Ham and was instrumental in getting them to the final. Losing those two players and replacing with JWP, McTominay etc will make them worse.

1 minute ago, Adam P said:

The only reason West Ham did anything of note last season was because they had Rice and Paqueta. In the latter stages of the cup, it was Paqueta standing out as their best player. He found his feet at West Ham and was instrumental in getting them to the final. Losing those two players and replacing with JWP, McTominay etc will make them worse.

It would embed the personality and style of Moyes even deeper into the club, only for him invariably to get sacked halfway through the season, and them to be left with a squad full of functional, old school players.

Those two were playing in the team when they were flirting with relegation most of the season.

The turn around mostly came when they gave up on Scammacca and went back to Antonio up front.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Man, we'll see when the season starts.

You guys are just tied to the narrative Maguire, McTominay and JWP are shit players no matter the circumstances.

I'm pretty confident that will prove to be completely wrong in a Moyes side.

Players like JWP and McTominay are great in relegation battle. And also Maguire. 2 of there are good at set pieces, and certainly they will bring few points just with that ability alone. The thing is Rice and Paqueta are players that win you close games. McTominay is not. JWP is if you get a freekick from good position.

I don’t think they’re poor players in isolation it’s just a lot of money for players who probably towards the end of their peak/about to come down.  No sell on value, feels a bit unimaginative and predictable.  Don’t know much about Alvarez to be fair, key for them now is keeping Paqueta 

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

It would embed the personality and style of Moyes even deeper into the club, only for him invariably to get sacked halfway through the season, and them to be left with a squad full of functional, old school players.

It has to be the most likely scenario this season for them, especially if they lose Paqueta. Not sure they can handle losing just Rice, he was fantastic for them last year.

Nope, their turnaround came when Paqueta and Rice learned how to play together. Antonio turning round their season is an absurdity. 

I disagree. I really don't think Paqueta even really ever did that great for them. Had flashes here and there but it was mostly an awkward fit.

Just now, Gallowgate Toon said:

Paqueta isn't good enough for City. He's a good player but very streaky. 

To be fair I think he fits their style more, and will have a ton more space and quality technical players around him. It will be a great change for him compared to West Ham, and I expect he'll look far more dangerous.

Almost any CM 'could' play for Man City, most could do a decent job surrounded by those players and with that much possession.

I do think signing Kovacic and Paqueta is a bit curious though, I would've thought they have a wider range of players on their radar.   

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

West Ham have now agree deals for Maguire, Alvarez and JWP according to Sky.

Looks like Moyes has won the battle of wills with the Sporting Director or is Alvarez a sign they’ve compromised. Guess it depends if McTominay arrives also.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

So are West Ham looking at a midfield of Alvarez, Mctominay and JWP? That’s awful if so.

I think it’s a pretty serviceable midtable midfield tbh. The only problem is the cost in fees and wages. I bet all 3 will get 100k+.

Also JWP could rack up the assists for them like Baines did in the Everton days. Moyes loves a dive/set piece combo around the box.

Edited by Kimbo