Other clubs' transfers

Greg

9 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I'm not exactly providing zen levels of wisdom when I say this, but West Ham are absolutely knacked if they sell Paqueta.

I'd imagine Ward-Prowse would be his replacement. Just shows the total lack of ambition by the WH owners though.

We've agreed personal terms with Todibo but apparently fee could be too high and we'll move to Pavard.

Could actually see Pavard coming in and winning the right back position from Dalot/AWB. 

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

We've agreed personal terms with Todibo but apparently fee could be too high and we'll move to Pavard.

Could actually see Pavard coming in and winning the right back position from Dalot/AWB. 

Surely Pavard is a lot better that either of them. And too expensive for bench.

4 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Surely Pavard is a lot better that either of them. And too expensive for bench.

A lot more rounded and more consistent than both I would think. Plus he can play centre back. 

Doesn't look like a big fee for him. £20m or so. Last year of his contract. Todibo would be a lot more. 

1 hour ago, KingArthur said:

Ok, let me remind you that I am writing with my 3rd language here, so something might be lost in translation.

My point is: For all the nice football and building from the back that Brighton do with a limited squad, they do not score or threaten enough. That may well be because of players like Undav and Wellbeck, but the point still stands. For example they bossed the first half against us in US-preseason and completely bossed us at Amex last season. Even at SJP they played nicely past our press till the last third. 

And may I please ask you to try and behave, this is a forum about football and we have different opinions about it. It is not like yours is the one and only truth. We just see the game differently.

They literally scored the 4th most in the league and had the 3rd highest Xg in the league. Across 38 league games and a run to the FA Cup semi final. Not 2 league games and pre season. Your first and fundamental point is simply not true. 

Yes if they had better quality attackers they would score more goals. As would every other team in the league. Considering the players they actually have - scoring the 4th most goals and 3rd for Xg is a sign of a great attacking team.  

1 minute ago, Mountain said:

Defensively great?

Yes. We were talking about set pieces. 

There's few as good as as Maguire in the league from defensive set pieces. He has many weaknesses but that certainly isn't one of them. 

Offensively though, from set pieces, he is poor. 

3 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Yes, Brighton, the bad guys holding players hostage by reliably selling them to willing buyers, christ what a dumb fuck

Just looked on his profile, guy is a Chelsea fan, checks out 🤡

Edited by Elric

I don’t understand that transfer on any level other than Arsenal wanting to avoid FFP. Why are they spending so much on a backup keeper? Why are Brentford letting him go for such a low loan fee? It’s not far off what we got for Dubravka

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I don’t understand that transfer on any level other than Arsenal wanting to avoid FFP. Why are they spending so much on a backup keeper? Why are Brentford letting him go for such a low loan fee? It’s not far off what we got for Dubravka

I am amazed Brentford agreed to it. Don't they need the finds to purchase a new keeper?

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

The pundits on Sky Sports were just waffling on about how it was a great deal for everyone on the grounds that they extended Raya's contract with Brentford for a year at the same time as signing it. 

I.e. if Arsenal don't take up the option and pay the £27m at the end of the loan, Raya goes back to Brentford with a year still on his contract and can attract a fee from someone else. So Brentford don't lose out.

One after the other copied each other saying the same thing.

Even when asked why Arsenal just didn't buy him outright, they said it again except adding that it would give Arsenal the chance to see if they wanted him.

Not one mentioned the likely real reason - as you say it's obviously been structured that way for FFP purposes given how much Arsenal have spent already. Though, maybe it's hardly surprising that pundits seem to have less of a clue about the restrictions of FFP than the average Newcastle fan.