Other clubs' transfers

Greg

It would be good to have a CM in the squad whose 1st instinct is to provide a while to the centre backs. Doesn’t mean we have to play them all the time but there are times and have been a few this season alone when it would’ve been handy.

4 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Don't know, but I know we need a proper class DM if we want to become a top side.

I think that's complete nonsense tbh, a more attacking minded central midfielder who could pick a forward pass and chip in with a few goals would be a lot more beneficial to our side.

7 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Rice for example isn’t an out and out DM any more than Bruno/ Joelinton/ Longstaff/ Miley is though. Same with Endo and Fabinho

Similar to Rodri though. He sits in front of the back four, but he's important for City going forward too. The old fashioned "destroyer" type has become a bit extinct.

Just now, Andy84 said:

Teams seem to be able to walk onto our back 4 easily, especially away from home. A DM would go a long way to solving that problem

Guess we'll see where Eddie goes with this then, reason we've looked poor away from home recently for me is injuries have left us unable to play our game. We didn't struggle last season without a DM? 

I'd be happy with Phillips to be honest, just because you didn't make it at Man City doesn't mean you're not a top player. 

He looked great at Leeds and fantastic for England. My only worry is that he won't be fit for months with how we play..however he did play in a Bielsa team so perhaps his understanding of Howe's game would be easier. 

I love a redemption arc. 

2 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Aye things change though. Teams evolve and work things out including us. One season to the next things won’t carry on working.  We were poor away from home before the injuries this season 

That's a bit of a myth mind, we lost away by 1 goal to Man City then had a bad day away at Brighton. After that we drew away to Milan, Thrashed Sheffield United and drew away to west ham. By then we're way into October with injuries etc.

38 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Teams seem to be able to walk onto our back 4 easily, especially away from home. A DM would go a long way to solving that problem

I don’t think that’s because we lack a DM imo. I could be wrong. But I think there’s just something a bit off and reactive about our out of possession play when not pressing. 

1 hour ago, Lish007 said:

I'd be happy with Phillips to be honest, just because you didn't make it at Man City doesn't mean you're not a top player. 

He looked great at Leeds and fantastic for England. My only worry is that he won't be fit for months with how we play..however he did play in a Bielsa team so perhaps his understanding of Howe's game would be easier. 

I love a redemption arc. 

I’d definitely give him a chance, especially with option rather than obligation to buy. 

He has technical quality and retains the ball really well. Can also press. 

Can’t see training with Pep every week will have made him worse, even if his match fitness might be a bit off. 

Personally not convinced the link is anything other than journo chat, but maybe. 

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

You mean Rodri, their best player?

Hes as much as a dm as rice though- he goes forward a lot he’s not playing like makalele we already have players that can do that ( albeit not as well )