Other clubs' transfers

Greg

10 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Martial leaving Man Utd on a free at the end of the season.

What a terrible signing he's been.

Disgraceful player tbh. He’ll go to a retirement league and underwhelm there as well.

8 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Seemed weird he started in front of Hojlund this weekend

Bizarre decision.

Martial has bags of talent. The 19/20 season in particular he was brilliant. Another overpaid mental midget though. Good riddance.

Are they trying to protect Hojlund somewhat?

Feels like this move came a few years before it should have. The absolute Fomo from these ‘elite’ clubs who are in constant existential crisis seems to be leading them to bring in players before they’ve had time to fully mature and adapt.

If they get it wrong with him you could see his career arc being similar to Martial. 

Think Enzo at Chelsea is similar, should have done a season or more at Benfica and left then for a decent wedge l. Now he’s in the prem a little too early with a pretty ridiculous price tag. Bellingham went for similar money and is slightly younger but you could argue he’s already served his football apprenticeship at Dortmund. 

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

Are they trying to protect Hojlund somewhat?

He has apparently been struggling with fitness but it reeks of Martial being given one last chance to impress, and obviously failing to do so.

Hojlund is proper class like. If he's fit he needs to start. He hasn't been getting the service but is always in the right position and his hold up play is quality. Lightning fast as well. Desperate for him to be given a proper run in the team.

1 hour ago, Beth said:

Still early days for him but it looks like they pissed £72m away on a Newcastle era Jon Dahl Thomasson.

In what sense? Because they don't look similar players at all. Hojlund is a proper centre forward who can hold the ball up and compete physically with centre halves, whereas that's exactly what Tomasson wasn't. And obviously wouldn't have been asked to play as though he was, had Shearer not got injured. 

28 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

In what sense? Because they don't look similar players at all. Hojlund is a proper centre forward who can hold the ball up and compete physically with centre halves, whereas that's exactly what Tomasson wasn't. And obviously wouldn't have been asked to play as though he was, had Shearer not got injured. 

I was reffering to goal return so far. He may come good but he was never ready to be the main striker for them just yet.

9 minutes ago, Froggy said:

He is absolutely ready. 

I am sure he has the quality and will come good, but it does feel Ten Hag is protecting him a little. And I can see why, chucking a relatively unproven (at least at this level) 20 year old as main striker in a very poor Man Utd team under enormous pressure is setting him up to fail. Surely that is hard to argue.

I think a year to bed in to the league and the team would benefit him. It would work if Martial and Rashford weren't a total embarrassment, and Greenwood wasn't a big pest. So needs must.

Is he ready? I don't think so. Does he have to get ready fast? Yes, sink or swim.

I think Hojlund looks like a good player but he doesn’t strike me as a natural finisher. He’s got great movement, looks good in the air, is strong and fast. However, I think he’ll miss a lot of opportunities he should score because his ball striking or decision making in front of goal isn’t great. Maybe that’ll improve soon. It needs to if he’s going to be their main striker for the next five years

Just now, TaylorJ_01 said:

I am sure he has the quality and will come good, but it does feel Ten Hag is protecting him a little. And I can see why, chucking a relatively unproven (at least at this level) 20 year old as main striker in a very poor Man Utd team under enormous pressure is setting him up to fail. Surely that is hard to argue.

I think a year to bed in to the league and the team would benefit him. It would work if Martial and Rashford weren't a total embarrassment, and Greenwood wasn't a big pest. So needs must.

Is he ready? I don't think so. Does he have to get ready fast? Yes, sink or swim.

I'm all for protecting players but am very much of the old school "if you're good enough, you're old enough" mantra. It's not like he's Ronaldo coming into the league with no meat on his bones. Hojlund is a physical specimen and can handle the league. 

A huge reason why we're poor is because of the centre forward position. Even if Hojlund isn't scoring he's enabling a complete press, whereas Martial if he isn't scoring is a statue and doesn't contribute at all. 

The only reason Hojlund shouldn't be starting for us is if he isn't 100% fit. We are miles better with him in the team. He isn't under any pressure whatsoever from fans either by the way. He could go the whole season without scoring and we wouldn't care. Newcastle fans said it best, "we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries." Martial and Rashford don't try. Hojlund works his arse off.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I think Hojlund looks like a good player but he doesn’t strike me as a natural finisher. He’s got great movement, looks good in the air, is strong and fast. However, I think he’ll miss a lot of opportunities he should score because his ball striking or decision making in front of goal isn’t great. Maybe that’ll improve soon. It needs to if he’s going to be their main striker for the next five years

I think his finishing has been lethal when he's been in the position to score. His two goals against Galatasaray for example were superb and the second was incredibly composed for a 20 year old. His disallowed one in that game was top quality as well.

The problem is service. Not sure if people even watched the Bournemouth game but the amount of wasted chances because of greediness on the wings is incredibly frustrating. Hojlund was free in the box on numerous occasions and people like Dalot tried to shoot from an impossible angle.

The goals will come. He's quality.

Yeah I think I'm more or less in agreement. He certainly should be starting. But in an ideal world he wouldn't be so heavily relied upon.

It's similar to Isak and Wilson. We have a proven incumbent goalscorer and, when fit, it was really beneficial for bedding in Isak. When it's just one of them we're relying on they seem to struggle.

It could be any number of reasons; minutes, fatigue, momentum, competition etc. If you look at their stats for Sept/Oct you'll see it, they were both on fire.

Edited by TaylorJ_01

2 minutes ago, TaylorJ_01 said:

Yeah I think I'm more or less in agreement. He certainly should be starting. But in an ideal world he wouldn't be so heavily relied upon.

It's similar to Isak and Wilson. We have a proven incumbent goalscorer and, when fit, it was really beneficial for bedding in Isak. When it's just one of them we're relying on they seem to struggle.

It could be any number of reasons; minutes, fatigue, momentum, competition etc. If you look at their stats for Sept/Oct you'll see it, they were both on fire.

Well bloody aware of how Isak and Wilson were performing. :lol:

But aye. Martial should be the back up to Hojlund, not the other way around. Especially against teams like Newcastle. I still can't get over the decision to start Martial in that game.

6 hours ago, Froggy said:

I'm all for protecting players but am very much of the old school "if you're good enough, you're old enough" mantra. It's not like he's Ronaldo coming into the league with no meat on his bones. Hojlund is a physical specimen and can handle the league. 

A huge reason why we're poor is because of the centre forward position. Even if Hojlund isn't scoring he's enabling a complete press, whereas Martial if he isn't scoring is a statue and doesn't contribute at all. 

The only reason Hojlund shouldn't be starting for us is if he isn't 100% fit. We are miles better with him in the team. He isn't under any pressure whatsoever from fans either by the way. He could go the whole season without scoring and we wouldn't care. Newcastle fans said it best, "we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries." Martial and Rashford don't try. Hojlund works his arse off.

But 96% of Man Utd fans do demand a team that wins, and that's why they support the Red Devils across the globe.  

:)