Other clubs' transfers

Greg

18 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I don't understand how we can have a sell-on clause for a player who has already been sold once? Is that a usual thing?

Charnley was actually a genius and introduced the world’s first sell-on clause in perpetuity.

21 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I don't understand how we can have a sell-on clause for a player who has already been sold once? Is that a usual thing?

Ha ha no chance - I'm sure the Peterborough owner laughed it off on twitter anyway!

It could be Peterborough agreed to potential shared sell on clause to do with how big the fee could be. Let's say at the time Nufc added if he ever sold for 100m that we could then accumulate a percentage of any fee Peterborough collect further down the line, Peterborough could easily agree at the time thinking a player like him will never sell for 100m, but surprisingly it could now happen, if anything daft like that was written into the contracts, then it could likely happen. Who actually knows what these contracts have in them.

All hypothetically speaking here.

Edited by mighty__mag

14 hours ago, toon25 said:

Why the fuck are Bayern signing Eric Dier [emoji38]

Kane's wing man?

He must have a fucking amazing agent. Probably the same one that Judi Love has, who manages to get her on everything on Channel 4.

41 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Not seen him play at all, is he any good? Seems a solid fee to pay unless he’s quality 

They’ll only actually pay it if he’s quality tbf.

8 minutes ago, 54 said:

Miggys not worth £10m though.

I like that, I'll have a go. 

Benrahma being linked with Brentford and others. A year and a half younger than Miggy, but has less Premier League pedigree and hasn't recently helped his side into the UCL either. Has barely played this season. Rumoured £20m fee. 

Miggy's not worth £10m though. 

This story is bat shit mental.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/01/15/chelsea-transfer-news-aston-villa-star-jhon-duran-becomes-target-20117751/

Chelsea want to borrow our (clearly not yet good enough to be) second choice striker?

He's promising but very young and really not ready to get much game time with us, so no idea why Chelsea think he might do for them. Or that we'd lend them him.

1 hour ago, brummie said:

This story is bat shit mental.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/01/15/chelsea-transfer-news-aston-villa-star-jhon-duran-becomes-target-20117751/

Chelsea want to borrow our (clearly not yet good enough to be) second choice striker?

He's promising but very young and really not ready to get much game time with us, so no idea why Chelsea think he might do for them. Or that we'd lend them him.

It’s the Metro :lol:

On further inspection, it’s based on a “report” - a tweet from a Chelsea guy called Nathan Gissing who might write for Di Marzio but who definitely writes for Chelsea. So it’s par for the course. 

4 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Remember when the transfer window (not for us like :lol:) used to be quite entertaining? Just seems utterly pointless nowadays. 

It has got harder and harder to do anything at all in January, it's all very much an anti-climax these days.

I remember 2007 when we signed Ashley Young and John Carew in the same January window. These days it's all about maybe a promising kid from somewhere or a loan.

Although having said that, we bought Alex Moreno in Jan last year and he's worked out really well, so maybe I am being pessimistic.

5 minutes ago, brummie said:

It has got harder and harder to do anything at all in January, it's all very much an anti-climax these days.

I remember 2007 when we signed Ashley Young and John Carew in the same January window. These days it's all about maybe a promising kid from somewhere or a loan.

Although having said that, we bought Alex Moreno in Jan last year and he's worked out really well, so maybe I am being pessimistic.

All circumstantial isn’t it? Our Jan windows this year and two years ago are and were mint. This Jan it looks like most of the big clubs with obvious issues don’t have the FFP room to splurge.

Our last two Jan windows have turned out amazing but didn’t seem so at the time. This window seems amazing for us but might turn out to be the opposite.

Jan does seem to mainly be loan or loan-to-buy deals and getting rid of deadwood - which often amounts to the same thing. Look at 2022. Juve give us two players they didn’t want, we get rid of players we don’t want (Dele Alli, Ndombele etc). Villa pick up Coutinho. Arsenal get rid of PEA. There’s always one or two big transfers though - 2022 had Bruno Guimaraes and Luis Diaz among others. I still think the end of the window will be busy.

On 12/01/2024 at 21:15, Interpolic said:

I like that, I'll have a go. 

Benrahma being linked with Brentford and others. A year and a half younger than Miggy, but has less Premier League pedigree and hasn't recently helped his side into the UCL either. Has barely played this season. Rumoured £20m fee. 

Miggy's not worth £10m though. 

Benrahma is a more talented footballer than Almiron. He's worth £10-20m for a relegated PL side looking to bounce straight back-up. He scored a  lot of goals in the Championship and was a standout player. He's good enough to do v. well in Portugal or Turkey somewhere. He has a similar amount of goals and assists at West Ham as Almiron has for us in considerably fewer minutes.

Benrahma has that skilful style of play that goes for a premium. Miguel Almiron doesn't.

1 hour ago, brummie said:

People going on about ffp and how restrictive it is, I’m personally amazed the whole window system hasn’t been scrapped tbh. Not just because of the situations it potentially leaves clubs in, but also restricting the options of players frozen out by managers etc too. I’m not sure who it serves other than the person who sells Jim White a yellow tie every six months

3 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

People going on about ffp and how restrictive it is, I’m personally amazed the whole window system hasn’t been scrapped tbh. Not just because of the situations it potentially leaves clubs in, but also restricting the options of players frozen out by managers etc too. I’m not sure who it serves other than the person who sells Jim White a yellow tie every six months

It serves all the non-cartel or lower division teams and fans by preventing wealthier clubs unsettling and/or taking their best players at any point during the season. It serves fringe squad players and youth development by making clubs give them opportunities when players are injured rather than just going out and buying a player.

It’s definitely worth discussing, because you could argue that a lower division club in financial trouble in, say, March can‘t sell players to make ends meet. You could argue that that’s a bad thing too. Just…every window somebody says  “I don’t know why we do this” and every window we have to say the same thing.