Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Article says Guehi is on their list too, that would be a great pick up for them.

If they can land Rice, Diaby and Guehi those are all really good additions. Interesting.

Just now, KaKa said:

Article says Guehi is on their list too, that would be a great pick up for them.

If they can land Rice, Diaby and Guehi those are all really good additions. Interesting.

Wonder if Diaby would pick them over us (if we get top 4). He would certainly be first choice here whereas I can’t see him ever being a regular pick above Saka.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Wonder if Diaby would pick them over us (if we get top 4). He would certainly be first choice here whereas I can’t see him ever being a regular pick above Saka.

He's very comfortable playing both on the left and the right, and will get a lot of games regardless.

I think if we can get Raphinha for similar money that makes more sense for us as he is a more bonafide first teamer that is already proven.

Just now, KaKa said:

He's very comfortable playing both on the left and the right, and will get a lot of games regardless.

I think if we can get Raphinha for similar money that makes more sense for us as he is a more bonafide first teamer that is already proven.

I’d definitely prefer Raphinia, I just don’t think it would be cut and dried that Diaby would turn us down for Arsenal 

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

Ok, not top 5….but they came 6th in net spend- hardly frugal. Why are they facing a £200m wage shortfall, as stated earlier? 

So their net spend was closer to Everton, Liverpool & Arsenal than Manchester United in 5th. Since 2021 i'm sure Arsenal have surpassed Real Madrid's net spend.

I bet Real's revenue is top 3 though and much closer to Man Utd than Everton and Arsenal.

36 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Weren't you not so hot on Raphinha last summer or am I confusing you?

3 hours ago, Manxst said:

Real are only doing well financially because they’ve sold future rights, the same as Barca.

“Last summer, the club faced a new cash crisis. The redevelopment plan for the Bernabeu, with a new premium matchday hospitality offering under a new roof and distinctive metallic outer wrap, had grown into a multi-use stadium with scope for concerts and business conferences. Costs were anticipated to rise to €1 billion which would have needed the club’s board to approach JP Morgan to increase the €800 million bond by €200 million. That in turn would have needed the approval of the members at the general assembly last September.

The club were also facing a €150 million shortfall for their biannual salary bill coming due in July which totalled €216 million plus €35 million in associated taxes.

To cover these immediate calls on cash, Real negotiated a deal with the US investor Sixth Street to sell 30 per cent of future income from the new Bernabeu, excluding ticketing and any potential naming rights deal, for the next 20 years. That payment of €360 million was to come in two parts, €316 million in May last year and a further €44 million in July, the latter falling within the next financial year. The Sixth Street deal covered the stadium costs and the salary bill and crucially was booked as revenue.

This method of accounting has also been adopted by Barcelona who sold €700 million of future revenue last summer, including television rights and commercial entities to Sixth Street and others. Both clubs have represented this in their financial results as revenue. Others, including Uefa, might choose to see it as debt.

Real would have made losses last summer had it not been for the sale of future revenue. These are known as the financial levers - “palancas” – of last resort. The €44m from the original €360 million that was scheduled last summer in the subsequent financial year – the current – suggests that Real anticipate future problems. The sale of Casemiro to Manchester United, a €70 million deal for a then 30-year-old, was a gift Real could not ignore. Yet that is the kind of dream sale that cannot be guaranteed every year.

Real made an operational loss last summer and may well do so again in the current 12 months. It is against this backdrop that they will supposedly take on Manchester City for the signature of the hottest prospect in European football. The club’s president Florentino Perez will no doubt point out that City are facing the most serious suite of charges the Premier League has ever laid against one of its members. Yet a question might also be asked of Madrid: how can selling future revenues that must be repaid be considered anything other than debt?”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/04/13/can-real-madrid-afford-jude-bellingham/

The original state run club can just have their government bail them out again. 

16 minutes ago, Deuce said:

Messi has been an absolute shit bag with all this at PSG and yet he doesn’t seem to get criticised.

Like with the tax evasion he’s Teflon, Imagine the shit Cristiano would get if he went on like Messi did

It’s probably down to the fact that Messi isn’t an insufferable dickhead. No one really knows what he’s like as a person, other than that he’s introverted and there are unsubstantiated reports that he’s autistic. He doesn’t make big claims, talk himself up, do interviews with Piers Morgan where he shits on his manager etc. 

I love Messi so I’m biased but I couldn’t give a shit if he fucks PSG over. They’re an example of the worst way to run a football club 

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s probably down to the fact that Messi isn’t an insufferable dickhead. No one really knows what he’s like as a person, other than that he’s introverted and there are unsubstantiated reports that he’s autistic. He doesn’t make big claims, talk himself up, do interviews with Piers Morgan where he shits on his manager etc. 

I love Messi so I’m biased but I couldn’t give a shit if he fucks PSG over. They’re an example of the worst way to run a football club 

Im not saying he’s worse than Cristiano but it is a bit hypocritical to not call him out for being a dick when he is being a dick. 

I’ll always back players to capitalize on their earning potential; at the end of the day, football is employment and players should reap the benefits of their labor.

It’d be interesting to see if those who relentlessly criticized Ronaldo for taking a Saudi buyout would have the same to say about Messi for doing the exact same thing. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I know we're in absolutely no place to talk, but does Messi really have to go to Saudi? Like, what's the point? Do you need the money? 

They should increase his ambassador deal by £300k a week or so, on the condition he comes to Newcastle for a year or two for a normal club salary.

23 minutes ago, Troll said:

They should increase his ambassador deal by £300k a week or so, on the condition he comes to Newcastle for a year or two for a normal club salary.

Would you want him? I know it sounds outrageous to say. He absolutely cannot press, which is a huge part of our game. Adapting to a new league at 36 would be difficult for anyone, even the world's greatest ever player. 

Admittedly, I haven't seen loads of him over the last year like. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

2 hours ago, Ace said:

Messi has been an absolute shit bag with all this at PSG and yet he doesn’t seem to get criticised.

Like with the tax evasion he’s Teflon, Imagine the shit Cristiano would get if he went on like Messi did

Their fans are absolute weapons and regularly boo him. Messi >> that shit club 

1 minute ago, Sempiternal said:

Their fans are absolute weapons and regularly boo him. Messi >> that shit club 

They boo him as they want to see more Paris based payers get a chance and not the Harlem Globetrotters. Fair play to them. 

3 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

They boo him as they want to see more Paris based payers get a chance and not the Harlem Globetrotters. Fair play to them. 

He’s got 15 goals and 15 assists for them, what París based players is he keeping out that can produce that? They are a total joke. 

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Weren't you not so hot on Raphinha last summer or am I confusing you?

Genuinely can't remember. Don't think that was me though.

Perhaps, I just thought it wasn't realistic as he was getting linked with the likes of Barcelona, Chelsea and Arsenal? 

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Would you want him? I know it sounds outrageous to say. He absolutely cannot press, which is a huge part of our game. Adapting to a new league at 36 would be difficult for anyone, even the world's greatest ever player. 

Admittedly, I haven't seen loads of him over the last year like. 

Obviously it wouldn't happen in a million years but absolutely not. It would be the most superficial bullshit that's ever happened in the history of the club. 

The likes of Messi and Ronaldo are the greatest ever on the pitch, but they're not just footballers, they're commercial juggernauts. I cannot be remotely bothered with the levels of fanfare and pretend fandom that sort of thing would create. It's not like he would be coming here because he wants to play for Newcastle; at least going to Saudi Arabia, as Ronaldo has done, is honest. It's almost admirably shameless. Bollocks to our club being used like that. 

Despite the dubious nature of our ownership we're actually behaving like a real football club for the first time in 14 years. Doing something like that would be just so false.