Other clubs' transfers

Greg

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s so weird like, do the matches get good crowds? Is football big there? I know money is a huge draw for people but a lot of these players will already be incredibly rich

A lot of these dudes are really well off but going there for two or three years is going to effectively double or even triple their networth. There was a piece about one of the dudes going there because now he can build like half a city for his hometown with this money.

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

A lot of these dudes are really well off but going there for two or three years is going to effectively double or even triple their networth. There was a piece about one of the dudes going there because now he can build like half a city for his hometown with this money.

For sure it’s life changing money for some but I’m sure there’ll be players who go there just to get richer with nothing to actually spend it on 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

For sure it’s life changing money for some but I’m sure there’ll be players who go there just to get richer with nothing to actually spend it on 

They might not have anything to spend it on right now in Saudi, but they have the rest of their lives to do it.

I think as fans we sometimes underestimate the extent to which footballers are really about the money. This Saudi thing is really showing it.

It is the same dynamic that brings a lot of players to the Premier League, we just find it harder to admit that.

10 minutes ago, brummie said:

They might not have anything to spend it on right now in Saudi, but they have the rest of their lives to do it.

I think as fans we sometimes underestimate the extent to which footballers are really about the money. This Saudi thing is really showing it.

It is the same dynamic that brings a lot of players to the Premier League, we just find it harder to admit that.

I don't know why this is a bad thing. Professional athletes have a limited window of time to make money. It makes sense to want to maximize that.

Although I think it's also reasonable to react differently to a player moving to the Premier League for money vs. the Saudi league. One is competing at the highest levels of the game. The other is ... not that.

42 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It’s so weird like, do the matches get good crowds? Is football big there? I know money is a huge draw for people but a lot of these players will already be incredibly rich

Mate did some research and Kante made around 15m a year in Chelsea minus taxes and his net worth is probably somewhere around 30m. He'll make 100m a year in Saudi tax free. The money is just staggering, I would be moving there instantly if I was +30 player with a big name tbh.

2 minutes ago, kocunar said:

So sad for our NT. Still dont understand football clubs, no one wants to offer more than €20m for the best DM in the world. 

He only started 14 games at Inter last year.

3 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Has Ziyech confirmed a move to SA? How much are Chelsea getting?

Looks like it may have somehow fallen through due to personal terms, fuck knows what he was asking for [emoji38]

2 hours ago, brummie said:

I think as fans we sometimes underestimate the extent to which footballers are really about the money.

And just how full of shit people are when they say they wouldn't do it. It's not like there's a few million difference, the amounts they're being offered is astronomically life changing and would ensure their families stay rich for generations.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

I think Kante drives a £10k car or something and Sadio Mane uses an iPhone with a smashed screen as he says it's a waste of money buying a new one. 

I think for a lot of the African/Muslim players they are targeting it's not about having more money to blow on things for themselves but more what they could do with it for others.

I think it is a bit sad to see players playing in a league way below their standard purely for money but at the same time we've just went and took one of the best players in the league from Milan to play for us because of Saudi money too. I know it not the same thing but most European sides now are just feeder clubs for the premier League or Barca/Bayern/Real/PSG. 

50 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Looks like it may have somehow fallen through due to personal terms, fuck knows what he was asking for [emoji38]

Maybe he asked for too little, and the whole thing is some Brewster's Millions farce.

3 hours ago, gbandit said:

There is always something to spend it on. Another vacation home or two, an extra flat or two in the best cities in the world, alimony payments, paintings, trips to the upper atmosphere. 

18 hours ago, AJ9 said:

Nee need to get your knickers in a twist and throw insults around like ?.  It’s a huge fee, people are wondering if he’s really that level. I mean we’re now talking better than Bellingham with that fee. 

Haha it wasn’t a personal dig like I just think it’s funny that people hate on Rice so much. The fee is too much like but age + English tax + Prem Ready means he can slot straight in 

6 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

There is always something to spend it on. Another vacation home or two, an extra flat or two in the best cities in the world, alimony payments, paintings, trips to the upper atmosphere. 

Or the bottom atmosphere. 

6 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

But real talk, Kante just bought a football club. That is the most direct sense of generational wealth. 

18 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

The key is what is the real Arsenal - the one which gave an impressive title challenge for the first 30 to 32 games or the one which collapsed in the last 6-8 games…

And, lest we forget, the last few games of the previous season.