Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I’ve no idea why he’s still here like. Only thing I can think is that he’s hoping to outlast Ashley over the next 10 months.

He’s also brought in players and said put your future in my hands. He’s a good dude and doesn’t want to walk away from that.

That’s also the big issue being overlooked during this whole window. Rafa is our best recruitment tool, money or not, and his position isn’t even “safe” right now. Until his contract issue gets settled, why the hell would anyone worth a damn sign on for the cause?

His contract situation is the key to this whole project and needs to get sorted.

There's no chance he can't leave without paying like, that's just bullshit. He could easily just stop turning up to work.

And then face legal action from MA and a big bill.

The best thing we can do is support the team whilst Rafa is here and keep forcing Ashley out via other means.

Since they decided to fuck this transfer window up this has always been the case, just need to increase the pressure on Ashley and his friends.

There's no chance he can't leave without paying like, that's just bullshit. He could easily just stop turning up to work.

Does that sound like something Rafa would do? He's well known for being big on honouring contracts, he'll do a professional job this season as always while making it clear he's been hamstrung by a shit owner.

Just imagine if Rafa improves the team whilst making a profit and reducing the wage bill. And then he sits down with Ashley and says "You're a wanker but I love it here. Put 5m towards the academy and I'll sign."

Ashley: :yao:

I definitely think Ashley is a chance of axing Rafa before the season ends, doubtlessly for some petty reason (ref Hughton) and some unspeakably bad replacement found from the dross of unemployed (and shameless) managers. What Ashley does to our club, it's just monstrous. :(

MA tried a power play by restricting purchases to a 'sell to buy' policy until Rafa signed.

Rafa pulled a bigger power play and said fine I'll sell to buy and won't sign until I am satisfied. Let's talk after the window.

All the pressure is on MA now. I'm betting the team is going to do well even with these restrictions this window, and MA will have to do what is necessary to extend Rafa.

He could easily just stop turning up to work.

No chance of that. The guy lives, breathes football, and has always honored his contracts.

When he was fired from Liverpool, he started coaching his daughters U8 team. He used to turn up at games and weird parents out by shouting at 6-8 year old girls for not following his tactics. No way he is walking away from a contract.

MA tried a power play by restricting purchases to a 'sell to buy' policy until Rafa signed.

Rafa pulled a bigger power play and said fine I'll sell to buy and won't sign until I am satisfied. Let's talk after the window.

All the pressure is on MA now. I'm betting the team is going to do well even with these restrictions this window, and MA will have to do what is necessary to extend Rafa.

This plays into Ashley’s hands, though. If we spend nothing and survive, that £40-50m that we have in cash rolls over to next summer. Say we pocket another £100m net (£50m end of the season and £50m before next season starts). If Benitez signs a new contract, he has approximately £150m to spend. If he doesn’t, Ashley gives a new manager that £150m.

All of this would fit into Ashley’s ‘spend all the cash the club generates’ philosophy.

So do people think there’s still a chance Rafa will be here beyond his contract end? I was assuming this window being a let-down would make him leave for sure.

No chance he will be here IMO

So do people think there’s still a chance Rafa will be here beyond his contract end? I was assuming this window being a let-down would make him leave for sure.

It totally depended on backing the manager IMO, I think the signings so far aren't really a sign of that. Ashley is just carrying on usual policy of buying players down the list that he thinks can still be good value while balancing the books. If he'd handed Rafa £50m and said there you go, spend it how you like, then I think he'd have signed like a shot.

So at the moment I think there's no chance of him extending his contract just going off how Ashley is making it pretty clear it's his way or the highway.

Guest firetotheworks

Without a takeover 0% chance imo.

He has kept saying we will see how the window goes. If we manage to get the amount of players in he wants (even if they aren't first choice) it might be enough to pursuade him to ink a short term extension.

He is the master of ownership mind games though. I agree he might just hold out for a change in ownership too. Wouldn't surprise me to see him turn up the heat in the media to incite the fans on the sly. 

More chance of Lord Lucan riding Shergar to win the Grand National next year imo

It’ll be sorted in January. Either by takeover or MA will give him the money in January after months of protests.

Thing is, if he doesn't spend and has all this cash available next window he could technically offer the academy and training facilities without much extra expense whilst offering a sell to buy policy again. Rafa would sign on those terms.

Thing is, if he doesn't spend and has all this cash available next window he could technically offer the academy and training facilities without much extra expense whilst offering a sell to buy policy again. Rafa would sign on those terms.

Why would he ever trust Ashley? He ain't going to be bought off by him after being let down window after window.

Why would he ever trust Ashley? He ain't going to be bought off by him after being let down window after window.

He wouldn't, the terms about training and academy would be in the contract as would his transfer terms.