Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Can we separate the tv watchers from those who pay the hard cash to watch that s***.

I'd be quite flippant if my investment wasnt a grand plus every season.

Hate it when the TV c***s try to tell me it's an acceptable scenario that I should accept that s**** today.

So you're saying my opinion is worth less just because I live the other side of the country? Get to fuck :lol:

I don't understand. Rafa did a very professional job in trying to grab something out from nothing. Look at our team and if you think "we can have a go" then you need an IQ test.

And yes, please blame the one who create this mess.

Of any of the big teams to have a go at home it’s chelsea. Our previous 5 games prove so. 19% possession is dreadful but if we nicked a point we’d have been happy. It’s a tough call.

Mind I’m glad I don’t pay to watch this, imagine paying the fat man your hard earned cash for 19% possession.  :yikes:

Anyway, long season ahead. Going to be a couple of months before we equal the points Watford already have and I’m sure people were saying they’ve a good chance of going down. Thankfully Huddersfield and Cardiff are worse than us, but we’re in massive danger of becoming the 3rd team. When the inevitable happens, we go down and or lose Rafa at the end of the season I hope we find a way of balancing the budget and playing decent football. I don’t see why the 2 have to be mutually exclusive to each other. If Rafa is still here it’s his job to find a better balance imo, yesterday was nothing different to a Sam allerdyce setup, same shit he was hounded out for. Football is about entertainment, it’s ironic how Ashley runs it like a business off the pitch and on it yesterday was the business of staying in the league, nothing more, no ambition. I’m guessing the retort is that’s down to Ashley, he’s forced him in to this.

Rafa has had his hands tied, but not that tied, for me it was another message to the board of what he’s got to work with, but it was him saying all week we have to move away from that and get going. I can see why lascelles was pissed (but if reports are true he’s totally in the wrong with his reaction) he knows we should be aiming higher than that, and if not why should he hang around when there are more ambitious clubs out there? Just because Ashley has no ambition doesn’t mean Rafa should, and why should s player not have it if a manager doesn’t? Do we all just accept surviving year on year? If we do we don’t keep JL or any other decent player, we can’t complain when they want to leave. Rafa is a great general off the field for this club, but yesterday lacked bite on it. We can’t go all out against real quality, but chelsea didn’t deserve that level of respect (we rightly didn’t give it to Tottenham who were better than them last season) not this close to the start of the season with a new manager and being an unknown quantity.

It’s telling we were all a lot happier at the manner we lost to Tottenham than chelsea, at least we had hope throughout, yesterday there were 5mins of beleiving we could undeservingly get something out of the game. It’s no wonder some are unhappy with that for what they pay.

Going forward I do expect the same for our next game, and that’s fine, but I hope in future (game after) when a top 6 comes to sjp the plan isn’t what we saw yesterday, because if that’s football then what’s the fucking point? I’d rather be playing decent stuff in the league below than just surviving.

Of any of the big teams to have a go at home it’s chelsea. Our previous 5 games prove so. 19% possession is dreadful but if we nicked a point we’d have been happy. It’s a tough call.

Mind I’m glad I don’t pay to watch this, imagine paying the fat man your hard earned cash for 19% possession.  :yikes:

Anyway, long season ahead. Going to be a couple of months before we equal the points Watford already have and I’m sure people were saying they’ve a good chance of going down. Thankfully Huddersfield and Cardiff are worse than us, but we’re in massive danger of becoming the 3rd team. When the inevitable happens, we go down and or lose Rafa at the end of the season I hope we find a way of balancing the budget and playing decent football. I don’t see why the 2 have to be mutually exclusive to each other. If Rafa is still here it’s his job to find a better balance imo, yesterday was nothing different to a Sam allerdyce setup, same shit he was hounded out for. Football is about entertainment, it’s ironic how Ashley runs it like a business off the pitch and on it yesterday was the business of staying in the league, nothing more, no ambition. I’m guessing the retort is that’s down to Ashley, he’s forced him in to this.

Rafa has had his hands tied, but not that tied, for me it was another message to the board of what he’s got to work with, but it was him saying all week we have to move away from that and get going. I can see why lascelles was pissed (but if reports are true he’s totally in the wrong with his reaction) he knows we should be aiming higher than that, and if not why should he hang around when there are more ambitious clubs out there? Just because Ashley has no ambition doesn’t mean Rafa should, and why should s player not have it if a manager doesn’t? Do we all just accept surviving year on year? If we do we don’t keep JL or any other decent player, we can’t complain when they want to leave. Rafa is a great general off the field for this club, but yesterday lacked bite on it. We can’t go all out against real quality, but chelsea didn’t deserve that level of respect (we rightly didn’t give it to Tottenham who were better than them last season) not this close to the start of the season with a new manager and being an unknown quantity.

It’s telling we were all a lot happier at the manner we lost to Tottenham than chelsea, at least we had hope throughout, yesterday there were 5mins of beleiving we could undeservingly get something out of the game. It’s no wonder some are unhappy with that for what they pay.

Going forward I do expect the same for our next game, and that’s fine, but I hope in future (game after) when a top 6 comes to sjp the plan isn’t what we saw yesterday, because if that’s football then what’s the fucking point? I’d rather be playing decent stuff in the league below than just surviving.

Seriously, minus our 3 best players/3 making their debuts and with what we had available yesterday....what do you think would have happened if we'd gone toe to toe with Chelsea?

Seriously, minus our 3 best players/3 making their debuts and with what we had available yesterday....what do you think would have happened if we'd gone toe to toe with Chelsea?

You’ve missed my point. We didn’t go toe to toe with Tottenham, we defended but had enough on the pitch to counter. We didn’t have that at all yesterday so just sat and defended. We were lucky to score. It’s about finding the balance, that wasn’t balanced against chelsea like it was Tottenham and like I’ve said, Tottenham were a bigger threat than chelsea last season. I don’t mind it against any of them away, citeh at home, maybe even Liverpool if they are on fire. But chelsea, Tottenham and arsenal we should be treating the same. We did it right first game, yesterday should have been the same again.

Far too much respect was shown to chelsea, we beat them 3-0 only a few months ago. Not sure if Rafa let his relationship with Sarri climb inside his head, but that was far too much respect.

Rafa is managing this opening fixture list as well as the goal difference, IMO. He knows results will likely not go our way so keeping some level of confidence (defensively, in particular) is going to be important.

There are far bigger things to focus on than Rafa's tactics.

You’ve missed my point. We didn’t go toe to toe with Tottenham, we defended but had enough on the pitch to counter. We didn’t have that at all yesterday so just sat and defended. We were lucky to score. It’s about finding the balance, that wasn’t balanced against chelsea like it was Tottenham and like I’ve said, Tottenham were a bigger threat than chelsea last season. I don’t mind it against any of them away, citeh at home, maybe even Liverpool if they are on fire. But chelsea, Tottenham and arsenal we should be treating the same. We did it right first game, yesterday should have been the same again.

Far too much respect was shown to chelsea, we beat them 3-0 only a few months ago. Not sure if Rafa let his relationship with Sarri climb inside his head, but that was far too much respect.

And you've missed my point about our 3 best players missing, and 3/4 making their debut.

With no Shelvey or Kenedy, we have zero creativity.

Also the Chelsea we played yesterday weren't the players who had stopped playing for their manager/on the beach/saving themselves for the World Cup.

Guest covmag

lads we don't play this way every week thank god, he had players missing and i wish we'd have a go but thats my opinion, Rafa gave the orders and it nearly came off and we get a point, its not pretty i agree but on reflection this is us now .

our season starts in a few weeks.

Can we separate the tv watchers from those who pay the hard cash to watch that shit.

I'd be quite flippant if my investment wasnt a grand plus every season.

Hate it when the TV cunts try to tell me it's an acceptable scenario that I should accept that shite today.

Get over yourself ffs. :lol: The team tried to get a point, had we tried to match Chelsea we would have lost by a few goals. You don't need to be in SJP to know that.

I preface my thoughts with this, because I don't pay a grand to watch what is frequently served up when Rafa takes on a "top team". The price I pay - a 1am kick-off and wishing I'd slept instead all day - isn't as high as some who are angry with our style of play.

We've seen this many time from Rafa now; he'll park the tank for about 70 minutes, and then open a little before a decent push at the end. At least, that seems to me to be Rafa's "Plan A" against "top teams".

And it was working today. He'd replaced Rondon with Joselu; a positive move even though it's literally like-for like. Ayoze came on and it was all set to play a little more when the dodgy pen came. Forced forward, we equalised quickly, but it was now (with a cobbled together, unfamiliar backline - not to mention a dodgy free kick) that we couldn't finish the job and get something from the game.

Rafa brings game management. It sometimes (too frequently, for some) means the football that is fucking turgid. Rafa loves the fans, but he's not going to compromise his mission of winning matches to entertain the fans. It just is.

Guest firetotheworks

Thankfully I don't think there'll be many knowledgeable football fans listening to what Paul Lambert has to say on other managers.

LOL @ the pundits man, like hell if Rafa had a go and we lost 3-4 nil and they'd be applauding him. Keys, Gray, Lambert etc would say the same shit - they'd bemoan Rafa for being naive in his tactics for having a go at one the "elite" clubs or something.

Huddersfield got fucking murdered by Man City the other day, I don't really care to have my team get turned over by playing naive like that. If we're looking at a 38 match season, Rafa sure as hell knows better than us where he thinks he can get points from, and if he feels the need to attack Spurs (which we did) and sit back versus Chelsea, he fucking knows.

Hopefully playing the top-table sides earlier on will prepare us better as we take on the lesser sides later on.

Ho hum.

So frustrating this situation is mind . We have a manager who could genuinely project this club forward as contenders to win some kind of trophy , any kind of trophy would do , would it not ? Although our style of play under Rafa is never going to see a return to the days of " The Entertainers " , I personally have seen enough in his tenure here to believe that , given the right backing , Rafa's style of football can be equally thrilling , if in a different way . In my eyes , to defend and outfox your opponent can be a joy to behold .

At the end of last season we all could see that the foundations were there to build something here . The realisation that this is just never going to happen under this owner is so utterly deflating .

Deflated is how the mood feels already this season inside SJP . So sad that this is shaping up to be an opportunity lost . Some of Rafa's rhetoric suggests he is desperate for the fans to ramp up the pressure on Ashley . Rafa really wants to succeed here . But suppression is engrained in our DNA . Failure is the norm of our footballing existence . And the pundit gurus are sniping at Rafa and reminding us of our place . We are the deluded , how can we expect anything more than to just exist ?

If we don't realise what we have now with Rafa , then to react after he's gone is too late .

We may be glad of this result and Rafas tactics come the end of the season when we stay up on goal average

Has there ever been a team relegated on goal difference in the history of the PL?

The very thought of protecting the GD three games into a season.....

We may be glad of this result and Rafas tactics come the end of the season when we stay up on goal average

Has there ever been a team relegated on goal difference in the history of the PL?

It's happened 5 times in the PL

Yes.

Goal difference also got us into the top half last season as well.

Not that the good few million extra matters when we are owned by Mike Ashley.

It's happened 5 times in the PL

Aye but if you ignore those 5 times it’s never happened :thup: