Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

So it seems Rafa wants to see out his contract but won't sign on for more if charnley and co can't actually deliver on signings. Seems to make perfect sense from Rafa's perspective. I have severe doubts we will match what he wants, it will be more "at least we tried" transfer dealings but at least it's more likely we get one more season before having to give up football. Or maybe the club gets sold lololol

Guest chopey

I think it will take something extraordinary for Rafa to sign now but I do think he'll stay for another year unless Ashley gives him an ultimatum 

Glad to be hearing of some more positive vibes, even if it is Paperback.

Despite many considering him a simpleton, he's proven over the last few years to be very much ITK. He is probably the most well-connected of all journalists when it comes to getting information direct from the club tbh.

Unfortunately that means until we hear differently then that article can only be regarded as weapons-grade propaganda.

I don't think he's going regardless tbh, mainly because there's no other jobs out there that would actively be better than what Rafa wants this club to be.

It's the reason i couldn't see West Ham or Everton etc etc happening, Arsenal i could have if they were interested but it doesn't seem like they are or Spurs if Pochettino left but that seems unlikely too.

He'll see out his contract at the very least.

He shouldn't have to be 'fighting' in the first place, for some basic conditions. Highlights the disconnect, between Rafa (and any manager with an iota of professional integrity) & the owner, we already know is there.

Really is a massive stark contrast between this wonderful man: erudite, commands respect when he speaks, has nothing but desire to be the best he and we can be and understands how to achieve it...and the utter mongo and neanderthal dimwit who owns and blights our cloob.

Am I going crazy or does that actually sound slightly positive? :lol:

Don't do it to yourself mate :lol:

I mean he is positive in the sense he is thinking what he could do. Rather than what will happen.

Guest Howaythetoon

The thing with Rafa is there is no ego, when really, given what he has achieved, there should be and who could blame him. He’s very much a father type, a man of foundations and development rather than a quick fix. He’s perfect for Ashley in many ways because he’s a great man to run the club, someone who can be trusted who wouldn’t be alerting his agent after a win against a Man Utd or talking of himself as a future international boss. Of course he’s political and does use the media, but it’s subtle and it’s as he says to do the best for the club and not himself. Really, he could get a much bigger club than us and even if he couldn’t, a much better job at a club who would at least try and match his ambitions. I never once heard or read about Pardew taking about the academy or facilities or the community of Newcastle as a city in relation to their club other than when it came to fans at the game. Mind, Pardew probably woke up every day not believing his luck and as we all know, he’s all about me myself and I so upsetting the applecart or questioning things just wouldn’t have been worth his while. Rafa is far more self respecting, far more demanding and has much higher standards of himself. Like KK he wouldn’t just stand by and watch a fire grow, he’d try and put it out. Pardew would throw others on it the cunt just to keep himself warm.

He just understands what it means to run a football club as a sporting institution rather than a business as so many tossers involved in football these days consider it (*too much money in football klaxon*). He wants to improve, he wants to compete, he wants to give the fans value for their money. He's absolutely brilliant.

It's what competitive sport should be all about. Ashley will NEVER understand it.

Guest Howaythetoon

He just understands what it means to run a football club as a sporting institution rather than a business as so many tossers involved in football these days consider it (*too much money in football klaxon*). He wants to improve, he wants to compete, he wants to give the fans value for their money. He's absolutely brilliant.

It's what competitive sport should be all about. Ashley will NEVER understand it.

Aye and best of all, he also understands the business side too. You wouldn’t hear him saying we have to spend this or that or ask the club to get into debt. He’s not selfish and probably considers the club’s own money just as valuable as he does his own. He also understands the politics, again the perfect manager not just for us, but any club.

For him, being the manager he is, he is probably operating at 50% of his maximum because he’s someone who can develop the academy, training facilities, scouting and everything else that needs to go into what a football club needs to succeed. At the moment he’s basically the coach and look what he’s achieved, promotion and a top 10 finish just by coaching the players to go out there and win games or not lose too many.

Me, I’d love to see him spend 300m on a squad of new players, but that’s silly. I’d be happy if he was allowed to spend 80m + (net) and for the club to buy into his ideas about the training facilities, academy and scouting network to enable him to keep us moving forward and progressing. We won’t finish top 10 next season with the same group, not even with the ddition of the ‘keeper and Kennedy. Not IMO anyway.

What’s the alternative for Ashley? Rafa leaves, fans go into meltdown, media stick the boot in, players leave, attendances fall, maybe even relegation? It just doesn’t make sense or shouldn’t if we didn’t know Ashley any better.

You have to question Ashley’s entire motive remaining as our owner outside of the benefits to SD because he has someone who if he put on the board of SD for example, would improve that business and make it even more profitable.

My own personal feeling is that Rafa will not commit to a new deal unless he gets what he wants during the close season and I’m not just talking about money to spend which I don’t believe he’s asking a huge amount of. The club will on,y commit to that or pretend to if Rafa commits so he will see out his final year, keep us up, and then move onto better things.

Unless we get taken over which Rafa will no doubt be hoping for and probably still trying to engineer behind the scenes as much as he can within what he can do in that regard. I.e. speaking to people, promoting the potential of the club, using his contacts etc.

And as much as I really do believe there is at least one party who wants to buy us, Ashley would only do so at a huge and ridiculous premium and with certain clauses relating to SD no doubt as part of any takeover also. Basically ruling out a takeover.

When he does go, that won’t be the end of Newcastle, he’s not the only good man out there capable of doing a good job for us even under the constraints of Ashley, but he’s the on,y man worth fighting for and I hope when he goes, the fans go with him returning when Ashley goes. I’d rather see it all crash and burn and playing in League One if it meant good riddance to Ashley because as long as he’s here, we are there with him. Take a look around the stadium, look at our net spend, look at our facilities and how far behind we are and the limitations in place as to where we can go and what we can do and that’s our lot and only on a good day. A bad day is Kinnear, Pardew, relegations etc. And those days have been too many, too many to tolerate or put up with.