Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Motivating some of these multi millionaire players must be difficult. I always remember an interview with Sir Bobby, he was asked what had changed the most in his years in football. His reply was " Without doubt the money some of these players are getting, I mean how do you make a rich man sweat?"  Thought it was brilliant and always sticks in my mind

Definitely. Part of it is judging the character of the players coming in. I think most players do want to do well, to please the fans, and even a lot of players who see it as purely a job they are being paid for still will take some professional pride. Most are in the game because at some point they like playing it. There are notable exceptions, and if a player loses form or fans get on their back plenty will fall back on 'who cares still getting paid'. Of course some players, and maybe this was much more common before the wages were huge will come howling out as if desperate to prove every minute on the pitch that they care, and that they would still be playing if they weren't paid at all.

It works a bit both ways though. The drinking culture etc 20 years ago before Wenger came in would be seen as totally taking the piss now. The players may be all multi millionaires etc but for their careers everything revolves around it.

How fucking long can talks go on for.. Can't even get the manager and most important person at the club over the line.. Not that he would sign a new contract this year anyway.

How fucking long can talks go on for.. Can't even get the manager and most important person at the club over the line.. Not that he would sign a new contract this year anyway.

I actually think he would sign a new contract if he could get a end of season release clause for if (when) they fuck him about again. Which is a massive indictment of the cunts that run the place.

I actually think he would sign a new contract if he could get a end of season release clause for if (when) they fuck him about again. Which is a massive indictment of the cunts that run the place.

True now when you say it, definitely on Rafa's terms and clauses. This is just not gonna end well, only a matter of time. We all hope that things somehow can end up relatively good, but I doubt any of us believe it, even a tiny bit..

Other teams are signing players and  yet again we still have these ongoing  dragged out negotiations with the manager where it’s clearly a no-brainer.  Same old story every year. Boils my piss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other teams are signing players and  yet again we still have these ongoing  dragged out negotiations with the manager where it’s clearly a no-brainer.  Same old story every year. Boils my piss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 clubs have signed players, Watford's being a kid from Stevenage.

Why do they need to drag out Rafa's contract seeing as he's the best thing we've had for yonks, because they don't want to fund our world class manager with proper backing maybe. It's so transparent it's untrue, Rafa walks and they'll blame him.

If he signs ? Great news if they keep whatever promises they made him to get him to sign, but we all know how much Ashley's promises are worth. The ownership of this cunt is a carousel of shite none of us can get off.

Guest Howaythetoon

Having Rafa automatically raises expectations from fans, players and media alike and the club can’t be having that... I bet Ashley was gutted when we finished tenth. Them faakimg Jawdees will be wanting taaap 6th next, caants.

Guest chopey

I wonder if the Rafa contract negotiations are the reason for the season ticket delay ? Rafa signs a new contract and Ashley puts a 10% rise on all season tickets, no contract deal, price freeze I can't believe the month delay is down to computer error.

More and more convinced the board are going to reluctantly give him the absolute minimum that he wants and that he'll stay on beyond next summer for some reason.

The Dubravka signing is a good sign, the player did mention they were linked. However the May 31st deadline for the option probably had a big part to play in it too. The one thing though we can be pretty confident about is that both parties are talking, otherwise the Dubravka deal probably wouldn't have gone through.

Ashley would have probably sanctioned the Dubravka deal with or without Rafa tbh.

Dubravka might not have signed if Rafa hadn't told him he was staying on though.

Maybe, but coming to the Premier League is a no brainer when you're at Sparta Prague.

More and more convinced the board are going to reluctantly give him the absolute minimum that he wants and that he'll stay on beyond next summer for some reason.

The Dubravka signing is a good sign, the player did mention they were linked. However the May 31st deadline for the option probably had a big part to play in it too. The one thing though we can be pretty confident about is that both parties are talking, otherwise the Dubravka deal probably wouldn't have gone through.

I wouldn't read too much into it - just as likely Ashley didn't want to sign Dubravka's wages for longer than he had to. It's more surprising he didn't wait until Thursday.

Still, I genuinely thought Ashley was going to let him slip away, so I'm pleasantly surprised we didn't fuck up this first, minuscule hurdle.