Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

How? Club would have the knowledge that they’ve got him for a year each season and he’d have to serve a year’s notice to leave.

Rafa gets a bit flexibility in that he can walk with just a year’s notice at any point if he feels messed about.

Its what Sir Bobby had and he got fucked over good and proper

His got changed from a one year rolling contract to a standard one year contract before the 04/05 season. We knew either way that at the end of that season he’d be likely to go.

Reckon there’ll be a sort of compromise and he gets a one-year rolling contract?

said this the other week, if the club had any intention of keeping him this would have already happened - sign for a year, not happy with the business we do for you fuck off after a season

should be the easiest thing in the world but as ever ashley will hide behind them not wanting to back a manager who wouldn't commit etc.

I get the reluctance of spending an increased amount to merely improve one or two places. It makes perfect sense when you only look at it that way.

And of course he’ll say, I don’t have the money available to fund a push for the CL spots.

What he doesn’t seem to get is that by losing this manager he could potentially lose more than it would cost to fund a push for those places so why not just have a gamble ffs..

Guest chopey

I'm going to enjoy myself on Saturday night, say goodbye to St James and thank you Rafa.

Weird feeling really. If he does go, it feels a bit like we never had him. I mean we obviously did and there's been some fabulous moments, but he's never been allowed to get going. Both he and us as fans will be left wondering what the whole point of those three years really were; it's certainly been a waste of time from his (footballing, rather than financial) point of view.

Guest chopey

The Barnsley game was fantastic, people just walking around Newcastle after the match smiling at each other and talking about what could be with a few quid invested

Guest chopey

If he was staying it would be sorted by now, absolutely no point dragging it out, it's Shearer all over again.

If he was staying it would be sorted by now, absolutely no point dragging it out, it's Shearer all over again.

Aye exactly this. Mate of mine does some business with Dowie and he was telling him at the end of the season we were relegated Ashley had come to speak to Shearer when Dowie, Llambias etc were there. Shearer asked to speak to Ashley in private and told Ashley he had to get rid of Llambias and get someone in that knows about football. Ashley told him he would get back to him then Shearer heard fuck all after that. Ashley obviously didn’t like Shearer having a go at his mate but decided to just ignore him. It’s as if Ashley is doing the same again. He will look at the Shearer thing and think well if Benítez leaves we will loose some fans but most will stay and after a while forget about it just like what happened when fan favourite Shearer left.

This brinkmanship approach to everything regardless of importance/rational thought is what’ll stop him staying. It just destroys trust. If he doesn’t trust them whatsoever and it’s clear he doesn’t then why would he stay? Flags and adoration are powerful seductive things but I don’t think it’s enough.

One thing is that we might loose Rafa which is a big loss in itself.

But the worst thing is that we all know they will appoint someone like Joe Kinnear, Steve McClaren, John Carver og Alan Pardew.