Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd have Janmaat over Yedlin and Krul over Darlow as well

To each their own, but he only played 8 games and we didn't win a single one. I don't think he offered much.

Darlow's played 10 and we've only won one of those tbf, but I take your point

To each their own, but he only played 8 games and we didn't win a single one. I don't think he offered much.

Yeah, fair point. I guess I should clarify I didn't really consider him part of the squad, considering he was available too little so it didn't really strengthen the squad. I was going off the basis the keepers we're pretty much the same really.

I still honestly think, as much as I hate his guts, that's Sissoko on the counter is the biggest difference between the two teams.

Yeah, fair point. I guess I should clarify I didn't really consider him part of the squad, considering he was available too little so it didn't really strengthen the squad. I was going off the basis the keepers we're pretty much the same really.

I still honestly think, as much as I hate his guts, that's Sissoko on the counter is the biggest difference between the two teams.

Aye, when we're under pressure now we have no out ball, its a hoof up to nobody or it may as well be nobody anyway. Even on bad days, Sissoko would run a bit and win a throw in or something and get us up the pitch a little bit. Getting us up the pitch by winning us throws and corners was probably his best attribute :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

For reference sake the season we went down under McClaren we had 24 points at this time in the season, only 1 less than our current amount, I think its debatable whether the team was much better then, you would think for being not far off a world class manager he might be outperforming McClaren by more than a point.

At the end of the day it comes down to points on the board, and on that evidence so far he is barely outperforming Schteve.

You genuinely think that that team, the one that at one point or another had Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Thauvin, and Townshend in it, wasn't quite clearly better than what we have now? I honestly don't even known where to start with that.

1jofvdq.jpg

You shouldn't be that funny at 17 like. [emoji38]

, I think its debatable whether the team was much better then

It isn’t debatable - that squad absolutely pisses all over this one FFS!

Sorry, but by ‘that squad’ do you mean the 2015-16 relegation squad absolutely pisses all over our current relegation threatened one? Might have to go check, but really don’t think I would swap many of the ‘differences’ mind.

Is this a serious post?

Guest firetotheworks

For reference sake the season we went down under McClaren we had 24 points at this time in the season, only 1 less than our current amount, I think its debatable whether the team was much better then, you would think for being not far off a world class manager he might be outperforming McClaren by more than a point.

At the end of the day it comes down to points on the board, and on that evidence so far he is barely outperforming Schteve.

You genuinely think that that team, the one that at one point or another had Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Thauvin, and Townshend in it, wasn't quite clearly better than what we have now? I honestly don't even known where to start with that.

1jofvdq.jpg

You shouldn't be that funny at 17 like. [emoji38]

On second thoughts, I'm hammered and exaggerating, it's vaguely funny at best. As you were.

The quality in that side combined with the commitment and effort of this one would have been pretty good.

Exactly, we had more than enough quality in that side to survive, just absolutely fuck all in the way of organisation and commitment.

Aye, when we're under pressure now we have no out ball, its a hoof up to nobody or it may as well be nobody anyway. Even on bad days, Sissoko would run a bit and win a throw in or something and get us up the pitch a little bit. Getting us up the pitch by winning us throws and corners was probably his best attribute :lol:

Its why I want Murphy playing to be honest. I feel even when he's picking the wrong pass, or over hitting his crosses or scuffing a shot - at least he can still always use his pace to get us 40-50 yards up the pitch. Neither Ritchie or Atsu can carry it well, they both need it right around the box to cause their damage as they lack the pace - Much like Wijnaldum was worthless deeper. (Although much more talented than those two), We need some running to gain territory when we're under pressure.

Can't believe we got relegated with Wijnaldum.

He played at most 10 good games and when he wasn't playing well you couldn't even tell he was on the pitch

His home goals from midfield would have made a massive difference this season tbf.

Guest firetotheworks

Can't make wine out of water. Without Rafa we'd be relegated already, a long time ago..

Oh really?

Yes.

Daft cunt.

Reported. Brave lad.

Wew, you're hard.

Guest firetotheworks

Can't believe we got relegated with Wijnaldum.

It should be unbelievable, but away from home, for whatever reason, he was nothing short of a disgrace. In a way it almost seems weird to me that he ever played for us.

I think the whole "away from home" thing with Wijnaldum lets him off lightly if anything. He was disgraceful in almost every game from February onwards, home and away, even under Rafa. He got dropped from that team ffs :lol:

Ok, just had a look at the differences in the squads (we still have 13 reigistered players, including those on loan  from 2015-16). The differences are (pre January window):

GK: Krul vs Sels (though it has still been mainly Elliot and Darlow who played both seasons).

DF: Janmaat, Coloccini, Taylor, Mbabu, Williamson vs. Yedlin, Clark, Lejeune, Manquillo, Gamez (I’d have Janmaat).

MF: Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Anita, Tiote (RIP), de Jong, Thauvin, Obertan vs. Ritchie, Atsu, Hayden, Shelvey, Murphy, Merino, Diame (forget about cost, on what they offerred I would have Wijinaldum).

FW: Cisse, Rivière vs Joselu and Gayle (f*** me... it’s like a punch in the throat vs kick in the nuts).

January additions: Townsend, Saivet, Shelvey, and Doumbia vs. Kenedy, Slimani, & Dubravka.

(Edit: 2015-16 (Aug-Jan) had 21 points from 23 games (0.91 or 35 for season) ; 2107-18 (Aug-Jan) had 24 points from 25 games (0.96 or 37 for the season).

Guest firetotheworks

I think the whole "away from home" thing with Wijnaldum lets him off lightly if anything. He was disgraceful in almost every game from February onwards, home and away, even under Rafa. He got dropped from that team ffs [emoji38]

Probably right tbh. It was just easy to get into the frame of mind that it was an away from home thing. He was spineless for the most part for us. Equally deserving of the level of criticism that Sissoko got.

I think the whole "away from home" thing with Wijnaldum lets him off lightly if anything. He was disgraceful in almost every game from February onwards, home and away, even under Rafa. He got dropped from that team ffs :lol:

4 goals in one game, one in a dead rubber. The rest of the season wasn't that great  :lol:

Can't make wine out of water. Without Rafa we'd be relegated already, a long time ago..

Oh really?

Yes.

Daft cunt.

Reported. Brave lad.

Wew, you're hard.

I found this way funnier then I should have. :lol:

Ok, just had a look at the differences in the squads (we still have 13 reigistered players, including those on loan  from 2015-16). The differences are (pre January window):

GK: Krul vs Sels (though it has still been mainly Elliot and Darlow who played both seasons).

DF: Janmaat, Coloccini, Taylor, Mbabu, Williamson vs. Yedlin, Clark, Lejeune, Manquillo, Gamez (I’d have Janmaat).

MF: Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Anita, Tiote (RIP), de Jong, Thauvin, Obertan vs. Ritchie, Atsu, Hayden, Shelvey, Murphy, Merino, Diame (forget about cost, on what they offerred I would have Wijinaldum).

FW: Cisse, Rivière vs Joselu and Gayle (f*** me... it’s like a punch in the throat vs kick in the nuts).

January additions: Townsend, Saivet, Shelvey, and Doumbia vs. Kenedy, Slimani, & Dubravka.

(Edit: 2015-16 (Aug-Jan) had 21 points from 23 games (0.91 or 35 for season) ; 2107-18 (Aug-Jan) had 24 points from 25 games (0.96 or 37 for the season).

:kinnear:

Is anyone else slightly worried that very few players are showing signs of improvement or development under Rafa? Lascelles a side, I can't really think of a player that is performing, or showing any more potential than they did at the start of the season, or throughout last season (obviously factoring in differences in league).

Lascelles performance wise has been consistently decent enough, probably the only player I'd say that's acquitted himself since the step up.

Unless there is a change in ownership at the top, or a drastic and unprecedented change in direction that Charnley/Ashley are going to take with the club, I'm starting to worry that Rafa won't ever being able to push us up the league - in that he's the type of coach that is able to make a side more than the sum of it's parts.