Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Howaythetoon

You genuinely believe he would go to Everton, after what he achieved at Liverpool?

I don’t think it would be an issue for him, he has the respect of both sides of the City and it’s not like he’d be leaving NUFC for Sunderland in terms of rivalry. If anything joining Chelsea was a bigger issue given the rivalry between them and Liverpool over the years, although more of an issue for Chelsea fans than Liverpool fans at the time.

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't see him going to Arsenal, Everton or West Ham.

Maybe, but I can see all three being interested and that’s the worry for us. He’s far too good for us let’s face it and unless Ashley is willing to back him in the transfer market, he’d be mad to stay. Another season of trying to keep us up?

This article from Martin Hardy gives me some hope he'll stay beyond his contract.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-southampton-rafa-benitez-storm-clouds-clearing-set-on-right-path-a8250646.html

I agree, can't see him going to any of those clubs, I think he'd prefer to stay here given any sort of a decent budget, which we should be able to do next season. He puts a lot of hard work into the clubs he's at, can't see him wanting to start all over again unless it's absolutely untenable. He'll see out the final year of his contract anyway, and hopefully we'll get bought out once safety is assured.

I think he will leave after the season ends, unless Ashley sells up. I think he will have a good few offers and it wouldn’t surprise me to see one of or both West Ham and Everton go in for him, especially if WH stay up. He’d be a good fit for Arsenal too and I don’t think their fans would be averse to his style of football if it meant them not getting beat off shitty teams and becoming more competitive which Rafa would restore almost as default. He’s very pally with Wenger too so if he goes and the board asks him for any recommendations...

Never going to Everton in a million years.  :lol:

I think he will leave after the season ends, unless Ashley sells up. I think he will have a good few offers and it wouldn’t surprise me to see one of or both West Ham and Everton go in for him, especially if WH stay up. He’d be a good fit for Arsenal too and I don’t think their fans would be averse to his style of football if it meant them not getting beat off shitty teams and becoming more competitive which Rafa would restore almost as default. He’s very pally with Wenger too so if he goes and the board asks him for any recommendations...

It always surprises me that people who should understand local sentiment don't get this. Rafa strikes me as a very loyal sort as well, so it just wouldn't make sense.

This article from Martin Hardy gives me some hope he'll stay beyond his contract.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-southampton-rafa-benitez-storm-clouds-clearing-set-on-right-path-a8250646.html

If I didn't know who Mike Ashley was then that would be pure bliss. As it is, there's a chance.

Not a chance he would go to Everton for obvious reasons, Arsenal is a moot point because Wenger isn't going anywhere until he says so and I get the feeling they'd want someone a little more attack minded as a coach.

West Ham are even worse than us, I know we've been trained to expect the worse but realistically none of these options are happening.

He's more likely to just leave and take a break from football than going to any of the above.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’m sure he has said before, when asked about Everton, it wouldn’t be an issue for him. My brother-in-law would have Rafa at Arsenal tomorrow because he knows he’s a top manager, but I agree Wenger will probably see out another year or two. West Ham prior to this season may have been a temptation, but not now. That said I think all 3 clubs would seriously look at him if they were to looking for a new manager at the end of the season. He will have options.

I’m sure he has said before, when asked about Everton, it wouldn’t be an issue for him. My brother-in-law would have Rafa at Arsenal tomorrow because he knows he’s a top manager, but I agree Wenger will probably see out another year or two. West Ham prior to this season may have been a temptation, but not now. That said I think all 3 clubs would seriously look at him if they were to looking for a new manager at the end of the season. He will have options.

I think Rafa would be met with much the same reception as when he went to Chelsea from the Arsenal fans tbh. Actually, maybe not that negative but I honestly think they feel they're a bit better than him and would want a certain brand of football played.

Klopp was the one they should have got.

Guest Howaythetoon

Aye I doubt Arsenal fans would bat an eye-lid and I’m sure when they start seeing their team push aside lesser teams and compete with the better teams in an organised, tactical fashion they would soon forget about the decade plus old glory days of the Invincibles or something. They haven’t played good football in years.

It always surprises me that people who should understand local sentiment don't get this. Rafa strikes me as a very loyal sort as well, so it just wouldn't make sense.

The fans here in Liverpool just wouldn't accept it like, despite HTT downplaying the rivalry. Some people I recently worked with for example, were women who didn't pay particular interest in football, but would comment on how they love Rafa for what he's done for the city / JFT96 etc and one lass even named her dog Rafa :lol: People started actively asking about NUFC as they knew where I was from and equally loved Rafa.

It's similar to us, where even your nana or mam checks the football results or asks about the match despite not truly following the team. Liverpool fans hardcore or fair-weather would be absolutely livid at the possibility of Rafa managing Everton. And like Tron says, Rafa is sensible enough to appreciate that.

Guest Howaythetoon

The fans here in Liverpool just wouldn't accept it like, despite HTT downplaying the rivalry. Some people I recently worked with for example, were women who didn't pay particular interest in football, but would comment on how they love Rafa for what he's done for the city / JFT96 etc and one lass even named her dog Rafa :lol: People started actively asking about NUFC as they knew where I was from and equally loved Rafa.

It's similar to us, where even your nana or mam checks the football results or asks about the match despite not truly following the team. Liverpool fans hardcore or fair-weather would be absolutely livid at the possibility of Rafa managing Everton. And like Tron says, Rafa is sensible enough to appreciate that.

I work a lot there and know people there on both sides of the divide. Liverpool fans absolutely adore Rafa while Evertonians respect him hugely. I think he could get away with managing Everton, of course it would bother a few Liverpool fans, but not to the point where he’d lose the respect of Liverpool fans to the point where they would hate him. I also think Rafa is tough enough and ruthless enough even to put others’ feelings aside if it meant he and his family had a good opportunity. Again I’m sure I’ve read him saying he wouldn’t have a problem managing the rival of a team he has had success at in the past and let’s face it, the rivalry between Liverpool and Everton is on a level with us and Middlesbrough for example.

It’s true what you say about people of Liverpool being like the people here, even if they couldn’t name you a player, they want their club to do well and Rafa is idolised in Liverpool by all it seems.

When I took the boys to the Luton FA Cup game in Jan one women on the bus said who are we playing? And then said well hopefully they will win for you boys when we got off. I imagine she couldn’t name a single player.

I could see Everton being in for Rafa like and I’m certain it’s not a job he would just rule out just like that. I can’t see him going there though to be honest. Moreso as I think he may have bigger suitors should he leave us, especially abroad.

I work a lot there and know people there on both sides of the divide. Liverpool fans absolutely adore Rafa while Evertonians respect him hugely. I think he could get away with managing Everton, of course it would bother a few Liverpool fans, but not to the point where he’d lose the respect of Liverpool fans to the point where they would hate him. I also think Rafa is tough enough and ruthless enough even to put others’ feelings aside if it meant he and his family had a good opportunity. Again I’m sure I’ve read him saying he wouldn’t have a problem managing the rival of a team he has had success at in the past and let’s face it, the rivalry between Liverpool and Everton is on a level with us and Middlesbrough for example.

It’s true what you say about people of Liverpool being like the people here, even if they couldn’t name you a player, they want their club to do well and Rafa is idolised in Liverpool by all it seems.

When I took the boys to the Luton FA Cup game in Jan one women on the bus said who are we playing? And then said well hopefully they will win for you boys when we got off. I imagine she couldn’t name a single player.

I could see Everton being in for Rafa like and I’m certain it’s not a job he would just rule out just like that. I can’t see him going there though to be honest. Moreso as I think he may have bigger suitors should he leave us, especially abroad.

I agreed with literally everything you say bar that bits I've put in bold. It's simply not true, sorry like :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s not exactly a rivalry though is it? I mean they sit together, are brothers and sisters or father and mother and it’s all a bit pretend. No doubt some take it extra seriously, but as a derby, it’s got to be one of the dullest and meakest there is. Maybe Liverpool fans would take it bad Rafa managing Everton as they love nowt better to than feeling wronged, hard done by or something to moan about.

I said it before I think rafa would go to Everton if the opportunity  ever arose ? It's near his home  ... and when it comes to what the Liverpool  fans  think  I'm sure it hurt them a hell of a little more when he was in charge of Chelsea  ! Saying that I hope to God Ashley  sells and Rafa stays in the summer

Anybody ever think, or worry that Ashley/Charnley will eventually cut ties with Rafa, should he not choose to leave us to go to another club..

Not in the sense that he'll be sacked, as I don't think he'd really ever find himself in a position were this board will sack him, let alone the fans ever hound him out.

More the sense that he'll be offered, or pressured into a lower contract - and Rafa will be somewhat forced out, or just leave at the end of a contract...

Anybody ever think, or worry that Ashley/Charnley will eventually cut ties with Rafa, should he not choose to leave us to go to another club..

Not in the sense that he'll be sacked, as I don't think he'd really ever find himself in a position were this board will sack him, let alone the fans ever hound him out.

More the sense that he'll be offered, or pressured into a lower contract - and Rafa will be somewhat forced out, or just leave at the end of a contract...

The board know that Rafa in is good for the tills. I bet we're making more money matchday today than we have have done under Ashley (well taking in to account outsourcing catering etc...)

He's worth the extra wages to the club, even on paper.