Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

This is getting too close to Sunderland style football friends. Liverpool can fuck off  :lol:

The 18/19 Tyneseyside cup is next year marra.

Obviously going to be the Rafa cup. Whoever wins gets to take him until the next match.

The clubs, certainly not in terms of success, but in terms of fans and what the people are like, Liverpool and Newcastle are similar. Similar political attitudes, both cities revolve around football, Keegan, Rafa. I can totally see why they've kind words to say about us and I don't mind them, which is why I absolutely despise it when hearing "sign on" or chants about stereos being stolen when we're at Anfield.

The clubs, certainly not in terms of success, but in terms of fans and what the people are like, Liverpool and Newcastle are similar. Similar political attitudes, both cities revolve around football, Keegan, Rafa. I can totally see why they've kind words to say about us and I don't mind them, which is why I absolutely despise it when hearing "sign on" or chants about stereos being stolen when we're at Anfield.

Right, now bearing in mind I packed in going to away games about 15yrs ago so things may have changed (my friends who still travel so not mind) and Liverpool (the city, both Everton and Liverpool) are nothing like us, they have a snide side missing from us and I know all clubs have their twattish follwers but those from that area were notorious. I'm sure Brummie posted something similar a while back.

When Rafa first joined us, we had a couple of Valencia fans join the message board and they talked about Rafa's Valencia machine. Everyone knew their roles, tactically perfect, hated conceding goals, players who did not give 150% and commit to the ideal immediately lost their places irrespective of their talent level, won games by suffocating the opposition. It was the same for us also. While it was not pretty at times, there is a certain beauty to watching your team give 200% to the cause and everyone working in unison to just fricking win.

I have seen two Newcastle games this last 4 months. The one against us and one today. I see the beginnings of the Rafa's Newcastle machine in the way you play.

I had forgotten what it was like to be proud of the team, and, more importantly, proud of the manager.

I'm beyond words as to the way he's gotten Mo Diame to turn into vintage Makelele over the course of just a few months. I'm amazed at the way he's made Lascelles into a genuine rock at the back. Virtually every player he's worked with this season has just gotten better and better, which is great on an individual level. However, the most extraordinary thing he's done is to make the whole of Newcastle far, far greater than the sum of its parts. Starting XI, bench, staff, supporters, truly everyone is working together under a man who you can't help but respect and admire.

We are a team and it's all down to him. I'm not the type who would normally say that, but it is. It's pretty much all him.

:thup: Spot on, he's just rejuvenated the club all the way through. Aside form anything else, when's the last time we got to this stage of the season with absolutely no injuries? Don't think it's ever happened.

There are weaknesses all over the team, but the guy is able to get winning performances out of them. Give him some better players and maybe he can end our long wait for a trophy.

I think that's what Rafa has bought into - the idea that he can the one who finally breaks the duck.

It's all been said before but this man deserves all the praise and plaudits he's getting from the fans. He's worked absolute miracles with that squad and to be looking at a potential top half finish is absolutely incredible given the lack of backing he received in the last 3 transfer windows. Finally starting to get a few mentions from the national media about the job he's done which is only right.

He's improved pretty much every single player in that squad, Dummett, Diame, Shelvey, Lascelles to name a few and very few managers are actually capable of that these days. Rafa is a coach, manager, figurehead and ambassador for this club and it actually makes you feel proud - something we haven't felt since the Bobby and Keegan years. For me Rafa can now be mentioned in the same breath as those two for what he has done / is doing for this club and that is no mean feat.

As always a huge summer lies ahead and the ball has been emphatically whacked back into Mr Ashley's court by Rafa. If he isn't backed and no takeover materialises then I fear the worst as a man of his capabilities certainly won't be short on offers. On the other hand even if he gets some money to sign even 3 or 4 quality players then the future could look very bright indeed.