Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I know it's probably wrong of me, but I couldn't help but feel betrayed by Rafa if he did leave to West Ham. The Dildo Brothers are hardly any better than Ashley. Don't get me wrong, it would solely be on Ashley's head if he did leave, but to West Ham, would be difficult to stomach.

Betrayed?!?!?!?!?!

He has been “betrayed” in three consecutive windows by his current wanker of an owner. Free transfers not allowed to happen and no idea of the budget. If he goes there then I’m certain that he’ll have a guaranteed set budget and be able to sign whoever he wants without interference from idiots who don’t know anything about football.

Rafa wouldn't leave if he thought he could achieve anything but it sounds like we're still a shambles. He quite reasonably doesn't want to just be used to prop up the falling apart club, he wants to rebuild it proper, that was his project. So if he does leave to West Ham I would be very surprised he chose them of all people, but it is entirely Ashley's fault.

We should be a better club over West Ham. But the manager job under Ashley is worse than the manager job or the terms Rafa likely will be offered there.  That's the key. How many times Rafa has been fucked up since arriving here? He even didn't get any money to spend for three years.  Surely West Ham will throw him a cheque book this summer if he accepts the offer isn't it?

Rafa owe us nothing. He brought us back to mid table with close to zero net investment. He gave us a great and exiting year in EPL which is probably the best since Sir Bobby days. He really deserves something better.

I won't feel betrayed.  I wish him all the best and thanks for his magic and the memories here.  He should have our unconditional blessing for his work.

Ok except managing Sunderland which wil never happen in a million years lol

Guest Howaythetoon

If Rafa leaves there will be mild protests and all those ST holders who jack it in will be replaced by happy clappers and kids and families who will love to see the likes of De Bruyne live at SJP all packaged under the jazz of the Premier League, the best league in the world. 53k will turn up every week still.

If Rafa doesn’t get what he needs for next season, he would be a fool to stay and I’d be happy for him to leave because it’s pointless having a world-class manager basically trying to do a lap at the Nurburgring on a fucking bike while the rest are flying by in Porsches.

I’d be gutted of course as I want him to stay, but howay...

Just fuck off fat bastard Ashley you cunt.

If Rafa leaves there will be mild protests and all those ST holders who jack it in will be replaced by happy clappers and kids and families who will love to see the likes of De Bruyne live at SJP all packaged under the jazz of the Premier League, the best league in the world. 53k will turn up every week still.

If Rafa doesn’t get what he needs for next season, he would be a fool to stay and I’d be happy for him to leave because it’s pointless having a world-class manager basically trying to do a lap at the Nurburgring on a fucking bike while the rest are flying by in Porsches.

I honestly think (Hope) it would be different this time. But if it isn't and 52k still turn up every week we deserve everything we get.

If Rafa leaves we’ll be relegated next season so any PL attraction will only be short term.

It's hard to say, maybe this period of relative happiness has reset our goodwill, and it'll take even more to wear it down again.

Before Rafa I was ready to walk away, I would definitely take a massive step back if he left. I'm not sure how many people this applies to though.

I don't think we need to debate this specifically because of West Ham though, I doubt the situation has changed with what Rafa has planned. All depends on what happens between him and the club over the transfer window, just like it always has.

A sense of perspective may be needed about some of the crap being written and fretted over.

Silly season has already started, journalists need to present their editors with stories that catch attention.

Rafa already has a very good and very highly paid job and is at a club where the entire management and playing staff are right behind him, and he is adored by the club's huge and passionate support base.

It may be that he seeks greener pastures if the owner doesn't meet his demands but Rafa knows that right now there are not many better jobs for him than the one he already has.

Maybe Rafa's people are the ones releasing this news....

I'm glad someone else is thinking along these lines.

Benitez has always managed via a strategy of tension with the board. He is negotiating hard, letting things slip into the press is all part of it.

Our default mode is understandably 'Ashley is fucking this up'- but what if Rafa is asking for something unprecedented in terms of control (ie they will appoint a DoF of his choosing who can act unilaterally on football business within a forumlaic budget) and really digging in. He will have to play hard to get that.

OK maybe he will get a bit more money to spend, but he's never indiated he's motivated by having the biggest possible budget, just as long as he's not in the bargain bin every time. Let's say he hits a run at WH like we had mid-season. Would he survive? He has a stack of 'get out of jail free' cards here, but he's starting at zero down there.

Moyes will be here come July

Christ, can you imagine. :lol:

I'm imagining the magic trio of Allardyce, Pardew and Moyes having the job at the same time.

Or going from one to the other as the season is progressing.

Just want to be done with all this shit, one way or another so that i can move on from this shit fest. If Rafa goes i hope that Ashley has to pay someone to take the club from him.

It's close season so any protests would be where exactly?  Ashley could gamble that it'll all blow over after the world cup and before August. Plus it gives his mates in sky a chance to develop the spin

The protests would be in the form of the non-renewal of season tickets.......he certainly wouldn't  be getting my two back.

This wouldn't just blow over this time, and I think even Ashley realises that. Benitez has single-handedly doubled the club's value, surely even the businessman in him can see this[/], even though he clearly knows absolutely fuck all about the football side of things.

Ashley can see it, hence the statement over the weekend, but you can imagine he wants to keep the likes of Bishop and Charnley in their current roles to handle all transfer business and giving Rafa the control he wants must be really sticking in his craw. He really is a massive cunt who doesn't learn.

SSN, Talksport, and the national media we’re always going to pick up on this and make links with clubs. No football being played, World Cup squad announced, no signings happening. They need something to drag a story out of.

Guest The Little Waster

Rafa already has a very good and very highly paid job and is at a club where the entire management are right behind him ...

You jest