Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd be very very surprised if he decides to extend. No way imo.

Very little chance from what I've been told by mate who knows one if the backroom staff

Same source that said the takeover was done?

Goal posts moved by Ashley over the takeover?

Possibly. But it was never ‘done’.

Very little chance from what I've been told by mate who knows one if the backroom staff

Fair point, likewise I don't feel there will be a takeover now either. I don't think Rafa will stay from what I've heard today sadly.

I'd be extremely shocked if he left before his contract is up. Doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who'll walk away now. Still got a year left in the PL at the club he wants be at, and there's a chance that this time next year MA will be gone (lol). He's got leverage this summer but he'll never have more leverage than he will next summer when he can just walk away no strings attached.

Fair point, likewise I don't feel there will be a takeover now either. I don't think Rafa will stay from what I've heard today sadly.

I'm feeling more and more pessimistic about this, especially with Ashley's statement today. I think he'll probably offer him a decent transfer budget, but there's no way he's signing off £100m plus on a new training ground/academy that Rafa notably made reference to tonight.

I think this is the beginning of the end sadly.

Watching the match on NBC the camera zoomed into Lee Charnley, a few minutes later it zooms into two old well to do looking fellows.. but the commentator gave no explanation who they were. Probably nothing to do with us but it got me curious as to who they are.

Can't we just love this man for one day without worries?

Nope :/

It's like you've managed to pull a 9/10 stunner who's also smart and well educated and for some reason she agreed to move in with you at some point even though you're probably a 5 or 6 at best and you work in the local Aldi as a shelf stacker.

You take her to meet your parents and they're making fart jokes over the dinner table and the sofa smells of wee. They promise they'll do better but it's the same every time she meets them.

You enjoy it while you can, but you know deep down in the back of your mind that it can't last because of factors you just can't control, your parents are fuckwits and you just don't have the money or allure to keep her long term. You sing her name every time you see her which makes her smile, but you just know she's just one step away from moving in with Grant, the annoyingly good looking lawyer with the flashy car that you just know won't treat her right.

It's like you've managed to pull a 9/10 stunner who's also smart and well educated and for some reason she agreed to move in with you at some point even though you're probably a 5 or 6 at best and you work in the local Aldi as a shelf stacker.

You take her to meet your parents and they're making fart jokes over the dinner table and the sofa smells of wee. They promise they'll do better but it's the same every time she meets them.

You enjoy it while you can, but you know deep down in the back of your mind that it can't last because of factors you just can't control, your parents are fuckwits and you just don't have the money or allure to keep her long term. You sing her name every time you see her which makes her smile, but you just know she's just one step away from moving in with Grant, the annoyingly good looking lawyer with the flashy car that you just know won't treat her right.

That's fucking depressing man :lol:

I don't think there's much chance he'll commit to a new contract without more concrete funding promises than Ashley has ever given and is likely to give (plus investment in infrastructure he has been talking about). The more likely scenario that isn't total disaster is he stays for the last year of his contract in hope of a takeover coming through.

Just a beautiful, beautiful man, I don't have enough praise for the guy and what he has done for Newcastle United, not least given us a pride we've not had since the Sir Bobby years and even then he's given us a group of players of which I've not been as proud of since Keegans first stint. They have their faults and quality wise we've had a lot better but there is a real togetherness that has made a team greater than the sum of its parts. He's turned Lascelles into a £30m player, made Shelvey somewhat consistent and a lot less lazy, it's looking like he's uturned a failing Perez and he's turned Diame into Patrick Fucking Vieira.

All those that called for his head in January after that 9 game dip, I hope that humble pie tastes like shit.

Whatever happens in the coming weeks/months/Year I'll be forever grateful for the season we finally came back and finished in the top 10 through hard work and determination, all fuelled by this great man.

???

:lol: The sofa smells of wee.

Garth Crooks' manager of the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44093575

Manager of the season - Rafael Benitez

I was asked recently who were my top three managers this season. Without a moment's hesitation I said Rafael Benitez, Sean Dyche and Chris Hughton - in that order.

I never expected Burnley to qualify for Europe, for Brighton to survive a season in the Premier League, or for Newcastle to finish with 44 points, ensuring safety with games to spare having started the season with seven Championship players in the team.

Anyone who has watched Newcastle United this season will have observed Benitez and his boys refusing to compromise one iota on the brand of football their fans want to see.

I wish I could say the same for Jose Mourinho and Manchester United. If Newcastle have lost a game they have done so with their dignity intact. They have taken the opposition on trying to play.

There have been times when they have been outplayed, even outclassed, but they have never turned their backs on giving their fans 100%, which you have to do when playing for the Magpies.

That is why Newcastle fans love Benitez, because they have seen the Spaniard turn their team from a Championship squad into a credible Premier League outfit.

Give Benitez the resources and he would do what Kevin Keegan failed to do, and win Newcastle a trophy. Don't give him the resources to compete with the very best and he will leave - and quite rightly.

Guest Howaythetoon

To finish tenth is a brilliant achievement, well done Rafa, staff, players and fans.